Would it be a good idea for LSAC to provide a way to opt... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LexLeon

Bronze

Would it be a good idea for LSAC to provide a way to opt...

Post by LexLeon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:31 pm

into a list, with respect to the CRS, of schools from which a law school applicant would like to receive communications?

Or: Would it be a good idea for LSAC to allow applicants to opt out of different schools' lists of students to whom the school will send CRS communications?

I don't believe such a switch would come costlessly, but either of these options would save paper and would probably save time and other resources as well.

sims1

Bronze

Re: Would it be a good idea for LSAC to provide a way to opt...

Post by sims1 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:47 pm

It would be really cool if they set a limit to the number of times a single school can spam you in a month. I don't mind receiving info about your school but telling me to attend your webinar ten times is a bit excessive...

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:52 pm

sims1 wrote:It would be really cool if they set a limit to the number of times a single school can spam you in a month. I don't mind receiving info about your school but telling me to attend your webinar ten times is a bit excessive...
Is there a large number of schools (that are, say, in faraway places you'd never consider going or not particularly good institutions) from which you'd prefer to receive no communications?

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:21 pm

It's a pretty crappy system.

Some good schools only offer fee waivers through CRS. Thus in order to receive fee waivers from some legitimate schools, you must agree to allow Stetson to send you three emails a month in perpetuity. I think the reward is worth the relentless spam for most people, but it's not cool.

Dingo Starr

Bronze

Post by Dingo Starr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:28 pm

LexLeon wrote: I don't believe such a switch would come costlessly, but either of these options would save paper and would probably save time and other resources as well.
Why on earth would the LSAC do this?
The paper and resource cost is not paid by the LSAC.
Do you think they care about making things more convenient for you or, at the very least, less irritating?
The LSAC is the only game in town. They have no incentive to change.
On the other hand, they have a great incentive to change nothing. Schools must pay for access to this list. If everyone opted out of Stetson or Samford, those schools would have no reason to pay for access to the list.

TigerDude

Bronze

Post by TigerDude » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:39 pm

Since LSAC is owned by all the law schools, they are basically a marketing arm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”