Sort of "not up to par" GPA...still chance at a top 14?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Calbears123

Sort of "not up to par" GPA...still chance at a top 14?

Postby Calbears123 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:04 pm

Long story short, I finished community college with around a 3.8 and then transferred to UC Berkeley. I double majored in polisci and history but only graduated with around a 3.3...with both my GPA from CC and Berkeley combined its something around a 3.55...This GPA puts me under the 50% for I think most if not all top 14...so what kind of LSAT score am I looking at? I'm taking it in a june and right now my score is still all over the place, anywhere from a 160 to a 170 so I still have some things to work on.

sublime

Re: Sort of "not up to par" GPA...still chance at a top 14?

Postby sublime » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:05 pm

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:19 pm

If you are already pushing 170 and aren't taking the test until June you should be able to get an LSAT score that makes you a likely admit at most schools in the T-14.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:30 pm

depending on your LSAT a 3.55 won't hold you back anywhere accept Yale or Stanford, at least that's how things are going this cycle. Shoot for a 180 in June and then immediately begin working on your Personal Statement and the other components of your application. Maybe think about asking for letters sooner than that since it can take a while, even more so since you've graduated. Apply in September and you'll have some killer options; apply later than that (which you should try not to do) and you'll still snag lots of top 10's.

Again this is all 100% LSAT contingent. As Tiago said, if you've broken 170 already on timed PT's then you are most likely capable of a high 170's score in June.

Calbears123

Postby Calbears123 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:38 pm

Pneumonia wrote:depending on your LSAT a 3.55 won't hold you back anywhere accept Yale or Stanford, at least that's how things are going this cycle. Shoot for a 180 in June and then immediately begin working on your Personal Statement and the other components of your application. Maybe think about asking for letters sooner than that since it can take a while, even more so since you've graduated. Apply in September and you'll have some killer options; apply later than that (which you should try not to do) and you'll still snag lots of top 10's.

Again this is all 100% LSAT contingent. As Tiago said, if you've broken 170 already on timed PT's then you are most likely capable of a high 170's score in June.

Thanks...I actually have most everything together. Letters of Rec (except one) Transcripts, statements are a work in progress. I took testmasters alright, but I'm going to study on my own (just got the trainer heard good things) until june

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:46 pm

Yeah you definitely don't need another course. I don't have any experience with The Trainer, but I can recommend Blueprint and the Cambridge bundles for LG. Good luck!

SnakySalmon

Postby SnakySalmon » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Calbears123 wrote:Long story short, I finished community college with around a 3.8 and then transferred to UC Berkeley. I double majored in polisci and history but only graduated with around a 3.3...with both my GPA from CC and Berkeley combined its something around a 3.55...This GPA puts me under the 50% for I think most if not all top 14...so what kind of LSAT score am I looking at? I'm taking it in a june and right now my score is still all over the place, anywhere from a 160 to a 170 so I still have some things to work on.

You'll probably get a 175+ and get into almost all of the T14. You won't get into Yale or Stanford.

Calbears123

Postby Calbears123 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:28 am

Pneumonia wrote:Yeah you definitely don't need another course. I don't have any experience with The Trainer, but I can recommend Blueprint and the Cambridge bundles for LG. Good luck!

175+ is going to be hard for me to hit, but I still got a few months.Though honestly I live in California and want to stay here...so even getting into UCLA and USC (they are still just right out of the top 14 right?) I'd be stoked. I'm also slightly worried about the admission officers seeing such a big drop between my CC GPA and UC Berkeley

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:55 am

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:08 pm

I took June last year and was barely into the mid 160s at this point. I kept studying and ended up with a 175+ and now I have a full ride at UCLA as a non-resident. My GPA is nearly identical to yours as well. You've got enough time, and the resources on TLS are top notch. You can do it!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”