Listing your recommenders on the application..what to do

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
taylorswiftfan

Listing your recommenders on the application..what to do

Postby taylorswiftfan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:00 pm

I'm still waiting on a letter from a recommender. However, a school's deadline is today and i cannot wait anymore so I'm going to submit my application with my other recs. On the school's application, it states that you have to list your recommenders. I would like to write the name down of the recommender who hasn't submitted yet. But would it look bad if i wrote their name down and they ended up not ever submitting their recommendation? There is a chance they will submit very soon but I have no idea.

taylorswiftfan

Re: Listing your recommenders on the application..what to do

Postby taylorswiftfan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:58 pm

bump.

sorry to be annoying about this but i really need help on this! I would greatly appreciate if anyone can help me by answering this question

lakers180

Postby lakers180 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:00 pm

if you have the required minimum i would submit without that recommenders name, and then just submit it separately if he does finish

emaytch

Postby emaytch » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:16 pm

This happened to me- I chose not to list her and she did not end up coming through, so I was happy I didn't. You can always send it later.

taylorswiftfan

Postby taylorswiftfan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:19 pm

How do I send the recommendation later?

Also--if i decide to not wait, there are certain applications that ask you for the names of your recommenders. Would I write her name in even if i'm not sure when she'll get the recommendation in?

emaytch

Postby emaytch » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:43 am

I believe you can assign it to schools later via lsac. My concern would be that your file may be viewed as incomplete if you are "missing" a letter. You can almost always submit supplemental materials, but if the deadline is today, you should submit a complete application today. It will still look better than listing a recommender that doesn't submit. My pre-law advisor wrote a letter on behalf of several applicants months after I submitted my apps, I didn't list her on any applications, and it was not a problem at all.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”