bringing a dog to law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
iamgeorgebush

Re: bringing a dog to law school

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:42 pm

Just remember this rule of thumb: if you're gunning for BigLaw, stick with SmallDog.

jasper09

Postby jasper09 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:31 pm

I will be taking my dog to law school, but for many reasons, I'm not concerned about it. Perhaps sharing my thoughts will help you.

-My dog is going to be 5 this year; he's old enough that he's well-behaved, but young enough to be energetic and keep me on my toes. Speaking from experience during my toughest work weeks (and months spent studying for the LSAT), having him as a distraction/comfort is going to be a good thing during stressful midterms, etc. He can be totally demanding, of course, but he also likes cuddling when I do work from home, and he does the silliest things and has absolutely out of control "bad fur days" that crack me up. HUGE stress relief.

-He's a little dog, no more than 12 pounds or so. My landlords have never had a problem with him, as he's very quiet and he's not destructive, so never any neighbor complaints, and any time there's been a refundable pet deposit, I've gotten it back. Little dogs are better for smaller places like apartments, and will likely fit any weight restrictions you may encounter in your housing search.

-While I'm very pro-dog, I would strongly advise against getting a puppy so close to starting law school. It took a solid two years for my dog to begin to calm down, and I don't think that's something unique to him. He was never into destroying or chewing things, but the level of energy that puppies and younger dogs have requires a LOT of work, time, and your own energy. They need lots of play time, walking time, etc, which all dogs do, but younger dogs especially. With 1L grades being so particularly important, can you really devote as much time to caring for a younger dog as is actually needed? Have you considered adopting a rescue that's a couple years old? Giving a home to a dog truly in need, plus likely not having to deal with housebreaking and even more frequent walks, could be a good solution. Regardless of age, be sure you can devote plenty of time to bonding and proper training- my ex-boyfriend got a larger breed, destructive puppy as a BigLaw associate. The poor dog destroyed everything in sight (including the carpets and walls) because my ex wasn't home enough to train him in the beginning, and fixing such disasters isn't worth the added stress during school.

-Regardless of how old your dog will be, he/she will need multiple walks per day. That will likely limit your options in terms of places you can live. That said, my dog suffered a spinal injury a while back, and one of the complications was that his spine now curves such that he somehow has more constant pressure on his bladder. Combined with the fact that he's always chugging water, it's not the best combination. Puppy pads (even though he's not a puppy) have been a lifesaver, even if I'm only gone for a couple of hours. They work well, trap the urine, and you can dispose of them without having to clean a carpet stain. I leave them out when I'm at work, just in case.

-Be sure your future roommate (if any- and I recommend having someone willing to help out, especially if the dog is younger) is on board with helping out if you get stuck on campus, etc. Roommate with a friendly dog? Even better- they may become great playmates, which helps when you're studying but the dog wants to play fetch.

Just a few random thoughts, but some things that you may wish to consider as you make your decision.

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:42 pm

My puppy was about 10 months old when I started school.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions...

He keeps me sane and I recommend getting one for that purpose alone...

GL!

AT9

Postby AT9 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:43 pm

My wife and I adopted a small-ish Black Lab mix last June, about 1.5 - 2 years old. Beyond a few minor things, she's a huge comfort and stress reliever for both of us. Having a happy dog to greet you when you come home from a stressful day at work or school ALWAYS makes things seem a little better. Studies have shown that dog owners are healthier, less prone to catch viruses, less stressed, etc. The only part I'm worried about as I start in the fall is finding someplace with a reasonable pet policy. Glad I'm not the only one heading the school with a dog!

That being said, I wouldn't get a puppy right now. If you have to get a dog, get one that's a year or two old with some basic training.

NoDayButToday

Postby NoDayButToday » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:11 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wsparker

Postby wsparker » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:53 am

Last edited by wsparker on Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlrbfl

Postby dlrbfl » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:35 am

I'm also thinking of bringing my golden retriever with me. He's 3 years old, weighs 100lbs, smart, loving, and very very sweet.

The problem is that since we are currently living abroad, he'd have to make a 14-hour flight or more to where ever I may end up in (most likely Chicago). He's scared of all sorts of things, so I don't know if he'll be okay in the cold cargo by himself for 14+ hours :( If anyone has experience flying with a big dog for very long hours, I'd love to hear about it.

Also, what happens when students do internships in the summer? Do they usually find work in nearby regions, or is it more often the case that they go out of state to work at bigger firms? If there's anyone who can speak on this issue I'd greatly appreciate your help :)

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:04 am

dlrbfl wrote:I'm also thinking of bringing my golden retriever with me. He's 3 years old, weighs 100lbs, smart, loving, and very very sweet.

The problem is that since we are currently living abroad, he'd have to make a 14-hour flight or more to where ever I may end up in (most likely Chicago). He's scared of all sorts of things, so I don't know if he'll be okay in the cold cargo by himself for 14+ hours :( If anyone has experience flying with a big dog for very long hours, I'd love to hear about it.

Also, what happens when students do internships in the summer? Do they usually find work in nearby regions, or is it more often the case that they go out of state to work at bigger firms? If there's anyone who can speak on this issue I'd greatly appreciate your help :)

I've never flown a big dog, so I can't speak from personal experience, but just some general comments--
- dogs have a reduced/no capacity of "time." They don't know that they've been in a cold cargo area for 14 hours. They might know they've been in there in their short-term memory, but not much more than that.
- Try to find an airline that will offer a special area for your dog. Delta Airlines offers a special "pet cabin" option (http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/ ... tions.html), but I've heard mixed results.
- Give the dog a blanket that you've been using to keep it comfortable.
- Ask the veterinarian for a sedative you can give your dog so it sleeps for most of the trip.

As far as summer internships go, it really depends on where you live and what you're after. If you're after biglaw, the firms are going to be mostly in the metropolitan areas (New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc.) with reduced options in the smaller cities. Naturally, if you study in NYC and you're after biglaw, you'll be staying in-state. If you're after other internships, such as judicial, public interest, etc., then its more likely you'll be staying in your local city.

You'd also have to factor in where you're attending. The more prestigious your school, the more mobility you'll have, whereas the lower ranked schools will have only regional ties.

mu13ski

Postby mu13ski » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:09 am

notalobbyist wrote:A dog should not go to law school unless its t-14 OR strong regional w/ scholly, and even still they probably won't get biglaw.

$alty

Postby $alty » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:45 am

just choose a school where they bring dogs for exam period.

NoDayButToday

Postby NoDayButToday » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:57 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

star fox

Postby star fox » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:30 pm

midwest17 wrote:As someone who eventually wants dogs, I highly recommend cats for students. They're very self-sufficient, and really only require that you feed them. But if you get them with the right attitudes, they can also be extremely good companions. Our two are great, while also being fine with student schedules. And you'll find a lot more apartments that allow cats than allow dogs (though it can still be somewhat of a challenge.)

Yeah but the problem is then you have a cat.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:53 pm

john7234797 wrote:
midwest17 wrote:As someone who eventually wants dogs, I highly recommend cats for students. They're very self-sufficient, and really only require that you feed them. But if you get them with the right attitudes, they can also be extremely good companions. Our two are great, while also being fine with student schedules. And you'll find a lot more apartments that allow cats than allow dogs (though it can still be somewhat of a challenge.)

KatyMarie

Postby KatyMarie » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:10 am

jk148706 wrote:
john7234797 wrote:

Lol exactly. I lived with a cat for 6 months. That was not going to work.

I have a choice between taking my crazy-ass 1.5 year old Boston terrier/boxer mix with me, or letting my parents take her in for 3 years (they adore her and have no problem with this option). She's high energy and a little clingy, so I'd worry about the long hours spent at school. At the same time, she would be a great stress reliever and companion...and she is old enough that she's completely potty trained and knows basic training, but she still needs quite a bit of attention and exercise.

Any thoughts? :?

jkwo07

Postby jkwo07 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:46 am

john7234797 wrote:

This.

LElsa

Postby LElsa » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:34 pm

it is hard to answer this question for other people, but one thing I have seen when combing through these sort of threads is people complaining that you'll "leave your dog in its cage"... I have had big dogs all of my life, and not until they were older (think, like, 6 years old) did we leave them out of their houses during the day. I call it a house, because if you train the dog properly, they'll come to love their cage and they won't mind being in it for a decent amount of time (in no way am I suggesting you leave them in there for 15 hrs or something...). with a good grasp on time and responsibility, I think it can be done. instead of working out for an hour at the gym to blow off steam, take your dog for a nice long walk! you'd probably pick up some dates, who knows, people love dogs especially when they're away from "home" and at school. this all being said: DO NOT GET A PUPPY. even after three months of training, they'll be destructive. I'd say around a year and a half old or so you could better swing it. of course there are other considerations like breed, roommates, space, money, but I hope this helped a bit :)

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:40 pm

dlrbfl wrote:The problem is that since we are currently living abroad, he'd have to make a 14-hour flight or more to where ever I may end up in (most likely Chicago). He's scared of all sorts of things, so I don't know if he'll be okay in the cold cargo by himself for 14+ hours :( If anyone has experience flying with a big dog for very long hours, I'd love to hear about it.

Don't some airlines let you take your dog on the plane if you fly first class? I saw someone with a dog up there a few weeks ago and it did not look like a seeing eye dog or anything. Not sure though.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:43 pm

Don't ever get a cat. If all goes according to plan, cats will be extinguished from this earth by the end of this fiscal year. They are vermin and should be treated as such. Get a dog 2L or 3L year but then realize if you're going to be working a lot after school you need to have a plan about how to keep them happy, like day care or family or SO.

instride91

Postby instride91 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:45 pm

I actually got myself a female Siberian Husky for Christmas (it helped motivate me for the december LSAT) and I've been focusing on training her this semester. I also hope Cornell brings me in off reserve because she would love the snow.

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:12 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Don't ever get a cat. If all goes according to plan, cats will be extinguished from this earth by the end of this fiscal year. They are vermin and should be treated as such. Get a dog 2L or 3L year but then realize if you're going to be working a lot after school you need to have a plan about how to keep them happy, like day care or family or SO.

Just so wrong on every level :| . If you get the right cat that meshes with your personality, they are fantastic companions. Cats (particularly females) are very territorial, and if they don't trust you, they will be an asshole to you. I take it you've been around the latter more.

If you find the right kind of cat, you are basically getting a completely self-sufficient, small dog.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:13 pm

Cats are terrible in every way. The best cast is worse than the worst dog.

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:22 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Cats are terrible in every way. The best cast is worse than the worst dog.

I'm inferring a cat bit you in your special parts when you were little? :lol:

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:39 pm

Brought my german shepherd to Chicago and its worked out fine. As bad as 1L is, you still have more time to be at home with your dog than you do working full time. If you have a dog and you want to bring him there's really nothing stopping you.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:47 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Cats are terrible in every way. The best cast is worse than the worst dog.

I'm inferring a cat bit you in your special parts when you were little? :lol:

Whatever helps you sleep at night. It's objective truth.

secondshot

Postby secondshot » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:11 pm

retake.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”