Last 3 schools worth applying?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
yafosho

Last 3 schools worth applying?

Postby yafosho » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:41 pm

I have just finished my applications. I've sent out 19 Applications all over to
U. of Chicago
U. of Virginia
U. of Columbia
UC Berkeley
Cornell
Duke
UC Irvine
George Washington U.
Georgetown U.
UCLA
USC
Notre Dame
Santa Clara
Seton Hall
UC Davis
UC Hastings
UW
Boston U
Boston College

As you can assume that's been pretty expensive sending out all those applications although many of them were waived thanks to CRS and me personally writing admissions departments.

My Question is whether you think it is worth me sending out applications to these last 4 schools, UPenn, U Michigan, NYU & Northwestern. They seem to be particularly stingy in applications according to the numbers I've seen so I was thinking it might be a waste. 164 LSAT, 3.17 GPA, AA URM. Have I sent out enough or would I be missing out by not sending out these final 4 applications? Thanks for the help.

SFrost

Re: Last 3 schools worth applying?

Postby SFrost » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:52 pm

How motivated are you for T14? Being AA URM makes it impossible to predict. If you goal is highest ranked school then you need to hit every T14.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:37 pm

Do you have fee waivers? The only reason you shouldn't is cost. As a URM your cycle is hard to predict so who knows. That list of schools makes zero sense (you know that most law schools are regional, right?) so you may as well go for it.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:57 am

malleus discentium wrote:Do you have fee waivers? The only reason you shouldn't is cost. As a URM your cycle is hard to predict so who knows. That list of schools makes zero sense (you know that most law schools are regional, right?) so you may as well go for it.

I was thinking the same thing. Conventional wisdom is T14 OR the best school in the geographic region you want to work. It's hard to imagine it making sense for the same person to apply to Seton Hall, Notre Dame, and UW.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:02 am

You're not applying to Harvard?

You can't get lucky if you don't apply.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:15 am

In my opinion these are the FIRST four schools you should have applied to.

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:43 pm

Clearly wrote:In my opinion these are the FIRST four schools you should have applied to.

yafosho

Postby yafosho » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:48 pm

The reason I applied to such random places is only because I want my options open. I'm from Washington which is why UW, I have lots of family in Jersey so I applied to Seton Hall in case i got lots of $$, I applied to the other random schools also because I was given fee waivers for them. I want to practice law in either Washington or California though.

yafosho

Postby yafosho » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:50 pm

Does anyone know what the Deal is with Northwestern though? When I went to apply it said something about having to do an in person interview before they give confirmation. Does this mean you would have to go to Chicago and interview in addition to the application before being admitted? I believe I am too late to schedule an off campus interview.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:55 pm

yafosho wrote:Does anyone know what the Deal is with Northwestern though? When I went to apply it said something about having to do an in person interview before they give confirmation. Does this mean you would have to go to Chicago and interview in addition to the application before being admitted? I believe I am too late to schedule an off campus interview.

Interviews are recommended but not required.

yafosho

Postby yafosho » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:00 pm

Kikero wrote:
yafosho wrote:Does anyone know what the Deal is with Northwestern though? When I went to apply it said something about having to do an in person interview before they give confirmation. Does this mean you would have to go to Chicago and interview in addition to the application before being admitted? I believe I am too late to schedule an off campus interview.

Interviews are recommended but not required.

But is it one of those "recommended" ones where your chances are significantly decreased because you didn't? I only ask because I have terrible softs and no work experience so I was worried that in conjunction with those elements, not having an interview also would pretty much rule me out.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:00 am

yafosho wrote:The reason I applied to such random places is only because I want my options open. I'm from Washington which is why UW, I have lots of family in Jersey so I applied to Seton Hall in case i got lots of $$, I applied to the other random schools also because I was given fee waivers for them. I want to practice law in either Washington or California though.

You understand that if you want to practice in WA or CA, going to law school anywhere other than WA/CA school or the T14 is a bad life plan, right?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:46 am

Also in your Columbia app, please do not write U of Columbia...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”