Streamlining my prep schedule (LSAT + internship)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
confused_humpback

Streamlining my prep schedule (LSAT + internship)

Postby confused_humpback » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:01 pm

Hi, everybody.

First post!

Currently I'm balancing whatever free time I have outside of my full-time job to prepare for applying to law schools during the 2014-15 cycle. My current plan involves using the 6 months leading up to June LSATs to study for the test and also take an internship. Essentially, I have been working Saturdays through Wednesdays, then interning on Thursdays and Fridays most of the day. I generally study in the morning starting at around 6 (don't start work until about 11).

My main reason for the internship was using it as a way to shore up my resume (I work retail, not incredibly impressive resume for law school). But I'm starting to feel like the time I spend interning could, and perhaps, should be better used studying for the LSAT and also de-stressing from time to time.

I was just wondering if anybody could give me some input as to how much I'll benefit from the internship when it comes time to apply? For instance, if the time constraints I'm suffering from the internship is going to cost me 3 points on the LSAT, should narrow my focus more? Or is the extra boost to my resume worth it?

Thanks for the input.

malleus discentium

Re: Streamlining my prep schedule (LSAT + internship)

Postby malleus discentium » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:02 pm

8 hours working/interning seven days a week + studying the LSAT ~4 hours (every?) day sounds like hell and you will probably burn out on studying the LSAT this way. Pretty much no internship in the world is worth even a single LSAT point. Internships are a dime a dozen in LS applications. It sounds like you're still in UG? If that's the case, you want to focus everything on getting the best GPA possible. It is very unlikely that the internship is worth the colossal additional stress it represents.

confused_humpback

Postby confused_humpback » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:43 am

Hey, thank you for the response.

It is a little bit of a hellish schedule. I haven't burned out, but I think I'm losing time for other stuff that would be a lot more beneficial (such as exercise and leisure!).

Just to clarify, I'm not currently in UG. Graduated in 2011 with my bachelor's degree and have spent a few years working in some unspectacular industries (craftsmanship). My resume in this particular field is pretty strong, just not law related, which is why I started the internship.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:29 pm

They don't care at all about law-related internships.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”