Acceptance Timing?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Quest4Knowledge

Acceptance Timing?

Postby Quest4Knowledge » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:51 pm

I have a hypothetical question:

Lets say students X and Y apply to the same school, both non-URM.

X has stats roughly 50-65% for GPA and LSAT.
Y has stats roughly 65-80% for GPA and LSAT.

If they have approximately equivalent softs but X gets accepted and Y is still pending (and has been waiting for a long time), what does this mean?

I'm curious because someone with better stats than me and what I think are equivalent softs has not heard back from a school I've been accepted to. Is there some other aspect of my application that might be helping me? Or is it just a co-incidence and I'm making something out of nothing in an effort to raise my hopes about a school that is a bit of a reach for me (likely this).

I don't think that Y is being YP, but it's definitely possible. Care to speculate?

Vexed

Re: Acceptance Timing?

Postby Vexed » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:51 pm

Way too many variables to really know for sure. A decent portion of it is contingent on the school and what they look for- could be that there wasn't a Why X, applicant locations / ties in terms of the school's area, etc.

Also some general issues that are hard to pick out from just pure numbers could be having an impact - C&F issues, poorly written/perceived personal statement, weak / no academic LOR's, strange transcript without an addendum, big LSAT differences without an addendum, etc.

And, as you mentioned, there's always YP potential.

Quest4Knowledge

Re: Acceptance Timing?

Postby Quest4Knowledge » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:32 pm

Vexed wrote:Way too many variables to really know for sure. A decent portion of it is contingent on the school and what they look for- could be that there wasn't a Why X, applicant locations / ties in terms of the school's area, etc.

Also some general issues that are hard to pick out from just pure numbers could be having an impact - C&F issues, poorly written/perceived personal statement, weak / no academic LOR's, strange transcript without an addendum, big LSAT differences without an addendum, etc.

And, as you mentioned, there's always YP potential.

Thanks. Looking back I guess it was a pretty ridiculous question aha...

Gluck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”