So frustrated-recommender STILL hasn't handed in letter

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
taylorswiftfan

So frustrated-recommender STILL hasn't handed in letter

Postby taylorswiftfan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:56 pm

-
Last edited by taylorswiftfan on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

bombaysippin

Re: So frustrated-recommender STILL hasn't handed in letter

Postby bombaysippin » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:59 pm

Uhmm when did you ask them for these letters?

taylorswiftfan

Postby taylorswiftfan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:10 pm

how much time are they supposed to have to write the letters?

bound

Postby bound » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:13 pm

taylorswiftfan wrote:how much time are they supposed to have to write the letters?

I gave mine about 3-6 months notice (depended on the recommender)

taylorswiftfan

Postby taylorswiftfan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:17 pm

-
Last edited by taylorswiftfan on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:23 pm

I would think minimum 3 months. Mine took about double, but I had asked early enough that it wasn't a problem. So since you last sent something, it has only been less than a month? If so, I think you would be rushing your profs.

JazzieShizzle

Postby JazzieShizzle » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:32 pm

I think you have to start counting from mid-January. I'm sorry, but prior to that they did not have the information they needed to write your letter.

However, If you have the minimum amount of LORs to submit your applications, I recommend doing so. If not, ask someone else as a backup. Either way, email those people and acknowledge and apologize that you got your resume and PS to them later than you anticipated. Then politely tell them how important it is that they submit their letter soon, offer to help them with it, and thank them for their time. I wouldn't mention the deadline. Deadlines are kind of arbitrary with rolling admissions anyway.

If you are able to submit your apps now and you get a LOR after the fact, LSAC will forward them to the schools at no additional charge. So, there's that.

ETA: by "offer to help them with it" I mean offer additional information to them or something like that, do NOT draft a letter for them.

taylorswiftfan

Postby taylorswiftfan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:24 pm

Thank you for all of your help. At this point I think it's best that i wait until the date that my recommender said he would try to submit by, and see what happens. What do you think? The one recommendation that I do have is from a recommender who has written academic recommendations for me in the past (not law related) and simply used the same one and reformatted it (i know this because they told me they would do that) so I really want to get an additional rec.

BPlaura

Postby BPlaura » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:01 pm

As long as you phrase it respectfully, it shouldn't be a problem to send a quick "hey, we talked about getting the letter submitted by x date; does it still look like that will be possible?"-type email. Just be careful with the tone of the email because, as others have said, you asked for the letters relatively recently so you're not giving the letter-writers a ton of time.

taylorswiftfan

Postby taylorswiftfan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:30 pm

Do you think it would be better for me now to just submit the apps that either --don't need a rec or need only one rec? I got one rec so far. Still waiting on the other one...

I'm not sure what is more important- getting a really great second rec and submitting apps later OR submitting them now with one rec.

JazzieShizzle

Postby JazzieShizzle » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:55 pm

Definitely submit whatever apps you can now. LORs supplement apps, they do not make apps.

I held onto my apps for a while because I was waiting for one particular LOR. I ended up giving up on it and I submitted most of my apps without it. My recommender did eventually send in the LOR, but 2 of my applications had been accepted in the meantime. Don't wait.

taylorswiftfan

Postby taylorswiftfan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:03 pm

Well the thing is that i'm applying to a lot of schools that are slight reaches or 50 50s so i'm wondering if i should wait for that recommendation letter that could be very supportive towards my app.... or should i still just submit now?

rendlelaw

Postby rendlelaw » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:07 pm

Just play it real cool. Send something like,

"Professor X,

Hope everything is going well! I know you're busy so I just thought I'd send you a quick reminder about my recommendation for February 20. If there's any problems, please let me know. Happy Valentine's Day!

~Wolverine"

It's not annoying, it's quick, and probably most importantly, it looks routine, like something you send to everyone.

taylorswiftfan

Postby taylorswiftfan » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:33 pm

Yeah i emailed my recommender last night about the letter and they said they were going to submit it today. It got submitted today. Now I'm worried they wrote a bad rec or hurriedly wrote one that was not positive--since they wrote it so fast and I did not give them ample time. Is that a possibility? Or am i just overthinking?

John Everyman

Postby John Everyman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:58 pm

taylorswiftfan wrote:Yeah i emailed my recommender last night about the letter and they said they were going to submit it today. It got submitted today. Now I'm worried they wrote a bad rec or hurriedly wrote one that was not positive--since they wrote it so fast and I did not give them ample time. Is that a possibility? Or am i just overthinking?

If anything you probably got a more glowing recommendation because they felt bad about taking so long, unless they didn't like you much to begin with.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”