Out-of-state apps to state schools: Help or hinderance?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cesium

Out-of-state apps to state schools: Help or hinderance?

Postby cesium » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:11 pm

Generally speaking, do state schools favor or unfavor out-of-state applicants (never lived in the state)? I imagine they have an obligation to their taxpayers (and their children) to give them an advantage for in-state admissions, but perhaps they are also interested in diversifying the incoming class.

In particular, what are UC Berkeley's (Boalt), UCLA, and University of Washington's positions on this?

BigZuck

Re: Out-of-state apps to state schools: Help or hinderance?

Postby BigZuck » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:36 pm

Berkeley and UCLA probably give *some* preference to instate applicants but it gives me a giggle to think that they are serving the public in a meaningful way. The UC system is cracked, and instate tuition at those schools is stoopid high.

Wouldn't be surprised if UW gives more preference to instate applicants, but I don't know what quotas have been imposed on any of these schools.

Yea All Right

Postby Yea All Right » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:00 pm

BigZuck wrote:Berkeley and UCLA probably give *some* preference to instate applicants but it gives me a giggle to think that they are serving the public in a meaningful way. The UC system is cracked, and instate tuition at those schools is stoopid high.

Wouldn't be surprised if UW gives more preference to instate applicants, but I don't know what quotas have been imposed on any of these schools.

California resident here. In theory Berkeley and UCLA should give more preference to in-state applicants (they're taxpayers as OP mentioned), but out-of-state applicants pay more money, so the cash-strapped UC system makes it a point of emphasis to bring in those people. This is making it harder for in-state applicants to get in, which ruffles the feathers of a lot of residents.
Last edited by Yea All Right on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:33 pm

BigZuck wrote:Berkeley and UCLA probably give *some* preference to instate applicants but it gives me a giggle to think that they are serving the public in a meaningful way. The UC system is cracked, and instate tuition at those schools is stoopid high.

The UC's in state tuition is insane. It really doesn't make any sense. At least for undergrad, I managed to graduate UCSD with only around 15k in debt. But the 50k a year price tag Davis/Irvine/Hastings makes going to school in California a bad investment unless you can get into Berkeley, UCLA and Stanford.

Anyways, OP- I got into UNC applying from California (I'm living on the east coast now). I had heard that it was MUCH harder to get in from out of state, but the facts say otherwise. I don't think schools really discriminate all that much based on state residency.

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:56 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrd93

Postby jrd93 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:23 pm

More generally, some states such as TX are mandated by law to fill a certain percentage of their students from in-state applicants.

"In addition, the Texas Legislature has limited nonresident enrollment to 35 percent of the student body."

http://www.utexas.edu/law/admissions/application/

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:28 pm

kind of old but
uva wrote:“There is no particular 'boost' given to residents. But residents have mathematics on their side.” In fact, there are “over nine nonresident applications for every resident application.” So, out of 7,880 applications in 2008, about 7,000 were from nonresidents. The ratio of resident to nonresident admittance is 60 to 40, so “nonresidents get only 1.5 seats for every resident seat in the entering class,” which is a huge boon for resident applicants.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:50 am

It is a boost for the schools that have quotas, like UVA and UT-Austin. Those that don't I can't imagine it has an impact.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:05 am

UVA has a quota, I believe 30-40%, which is nuts. It's gotta be so hard to keep numbers up when you have to draw such a large amount from such a small pool.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”