KJD and/or Weak Softs Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What schools have you gotten in to?

Stanford
4%
Harvard
7%
Chicago
7%
Columbia
8%
NYU
13%
UVA/Penn
11%
Berkeley/Michigan
13%
Duke
16%
Cornell
7%
Georgetown
14%

Total votes: 524

kershka

Re: KJD and/or Weak Softs Thread

Postby kershka » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:37 pm

Hi guys :D

'Nother K-JD here. I say that I have average softs because I have no idea what that even means and it seems safest. Nice to see a thread for us naive, young kids :P

ETA: I <3 polls
Last edited by kershka on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wildcats17

Postby Wildcats17 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:37 pm

Last edited by Wildcats17 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redbull12

Postby redbull12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:38 pm

Nuclear physics?[/quote]

Exactly. It's sort of related to my interest in the philosophy of time.[/quote]

The philosophy of time as in we could all be the dream of an alien species?[/quote]

That's more epistemology stuff I'd say. Philosophy of time is related to stuff like whether time is linear or static and if time travel is possible and all the cool paradoxes that come with it. If it is, and it's doable, all us shit softs people should take advantage.[/quote]

If time travel can realistically be invented, why doesn't that person come back now? Or would that person come back to whatever year and make money off it and keep it a big secret for him/herself?

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:38 pm

Added a poll!

Unfortunately, the max is ten options. So I combined schools that seem to be behaving similar this cycle, and took off Yale and NU. No one ITT has gotten into Yale, and while NU would be interesting, it's the least likely one for us.

milkandcheerios

Postby milkandcheerios » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:38 pm

kellohitty wrote:KJD over here! Not only that, but I also crammed 4 years of undergrad into 3. I obviously like pain.

same here! although I don't know if I would be technically considered a K-JD since I took a gap year on account of finishing undergrad early, but I've done absolutely nothing in this gap year except study, write essays and hang out. I do plan to travel later this year but no WE or anything.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:39 pm

redbull12 wrote:
stillwater wrote:i was in a bar and overheard two rainmaker partners at a V5 firm talking to each other. excerpted as follows:

- "goddamn KJD scum" (spat) "cost me another billion dollar merger"
- "not surprised, but they're pretty good at getting a couple of regulars at the corner starbucks, right?"
- (KJD enters with starbucks cup, hands to partner)
- "I SAID TWO SHOTS OF ESPRESSO," slaps other coffee cup out of KJD's hand
(CURTAIN)

Did this really happen?

ya, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

deebanger

Postby deebanger » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:40 pm

hey so if i took a year off after high school, and then went to college for 4 years, and then straight to law school, am I still technically a KJD?, because not a lot take time off after high school, but I did it so that i can save some money for colleg

MrMileyCyrus

Postby MrMileyCyrus » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:40 pm

Btw I think my leadership positions in college were way more challenging than my work experiences so the whole K-JD hate shouldn't be broadly applied. Some people have done more in college than people who have been out of school 5+ years.

cee cee

Postby cee cee » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:41 pm

Are yalls softs mostly vaguely legal or are they completely unrelated?

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:41 pm

MrMileyCyrus wrote:Btw I think my leadership positions in college were way more challenging than my work experiences so the whole K-JD hate shouldn't be broadly applied. Some people have done more in college than people who have been out of school 5+ years.

+1

redbull12

Postby redbull12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:41 pm

deebanger wrote:hey so if i took a year off after high school, and then went to college for 4 years, and then straight to law school, am I still technically a KJD?, because not a lot take time off after high school, but I did it so that i can save some money for colleg

UnamSanctam wrote:
JetsFan1990 wrote:Forgive my ignorance, what does K-JD mean?

Someone who goes straight from Kindergarten to Juris Doctor. It means someone who didn't take any time off school.

Scooped.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:42 pm

deebanger wrote:hey so if i took a year off after high school, and then went to college for 4 years, and then straight to law school, am I still technically a KJD?, because not a lot take time off after high school, but I did it so that i can save some money for colleg

It's your own definition here.

If you had legal experience that year, I would say no, you aren't KJD. Someone who takes off eight years to serve our country before going to school isn't KJD, for example, but someone who takes a year off to wait tables, while having work experience, probably is. IMHO though.

OliveBC

Postby OliveBC » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:42 pm

PourMeTea wrote:What kind of softs do y'all have?

I have okay softs I think.. But not spectacular. Also most of it seems geared towards phd stuff but that hasn't seemed to mess with my cycle at all so far.

Literally everything I've done:
- teaching assistant (3 semesters for 2 classes)
- research assistant 2 years
- honors thesis
- prosecutors office internship 1 yr
- job tutoring athletes 2 yrs
- summer job doing different research
- uhhhh I joined the psychology club on fb??

This could probably out me if someone really cared but whatevs

If I took time to get WE it would probably be doing something research related cuz that's all I know how to do :lol: but I'd be concerned they'd prefer something legal like being a paralegal etc...
Last edited by OliveBC on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:44 pm

student gov
three legally-related internships
some other academic things

I honestly spend so much time in meetings it drives me crazy sometimes.

don't quote, please
Last edited by Kimikho on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wildcats17

Postby Wildcats17 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:45 pm

scoobers wrote:Added a poll!

Unfortunately, the max is ten options. So I combined schools that seem to be behaving similar this cycle, and took off Yale and NU. No one ITT has gotten into Yale, and while NU would be interesting, it's the least likely one for us.

I'm in NU Early Decision!

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:45 pm

I've got pretty weak softs, but I'm a URM.

Can I play... or is that dumb?

kershka

Postby kershka » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:46 pm

OliveBC wrote:

I have okay softs I think.. But not spectacular. Also most of it seems geared towards phd stuff but that hasn't seemed to mess with my cycle at all so far.

- honors thesis

If I took time to get WE it would probably be doing something research related cuz that's all I know how to do :lol:

We have very similar softs. I interned at a different legal related place, had some significant leadership in student gov, and had 4 theses but otherwise very similar.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:47 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:I've got pretty weak softs, but I'm a URM.

Can I play... or is that dumb?

of course! I'm sure you have still had to explain why law now? :D

Wildcats17 wrote:
scoobers wrote:Added a poll!

I'm in NU Early Decision!

!! Wow! Congrats! Free-ride, right?

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:47 pm

redbull12 wrote:Nuclear physics?

Exactly. It's sort of related to my interest in the philosophy of time.[/quote]

The philosophy of time as in we could all be the dream of an alien species?[/quote]

That's more epistemology stuff I'd say. Philosophy of time is related to stuff like whether time is linear or static and if time travel is possible and all the cool paradoxes that come with it. If it is, and it's doable, all us shit softs people should take advantage.[/quote]

If time travel can realistically be invented, why doesn't that person come back now? Or would that person come back to whatever year and make money off it and keep it a big secret for him/herself?[/quote]

Perhaps time travel only works when one travels to the future, and actually, I think (but you'd have to look it up) it's a lot more plausible for physicists to make machines that travel to the future than the past, so even if it were theoretically possible (which basically is all philosophy cares about and physics deals with the practical shit) to go back to the past, it's doubtful a machine would ever get assembled. But I'm done with the tangent - the thread here is too awesome - great idea scoobers!

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:48 pm

kershka wrote:
OliveBC wrote:

- honors thesis

If I took time to get WE it would probably be doing something research related cuz that's all I know how to do :lol:

We have very similar softs. I interned at a different legal related place, had some significant leadership in student gov, and had 4 theses but otherwise very similar.

:shock:
but...how?

Quest4Knowledge

Postby Quest4Knowledge » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:48 pm

redbull12 wrote:What someone needs to really do in terms of spreadsheets is have an analysis conducted on the performance of K-JD students versus their nontraditional peers at whatever school. A whole site such as Law School Transparency could be dedicated to that if people would be willing to divulge such information. What I mean is percentage of K-JDs on law review, amount of K-JDs obtaining summer OCI placement jobs, amount of K-JDs who book a certain class, etx etx in comparison to their non-traditional peers.

However, this qualification of having people divulge their information would likely be an unfeasible task.

That would be super interesting to see, and would probably help a lot of people make better informed decisions going into law school. But I doubt gathering that sort of information is possible...

However, we could use the spreadsheets on TLS for the T14 schools (after the cycle) and see how KJDs fared against other applicants. Obviously not the same, as this is just for acceptances rather than actual success IN law school, but I think it would still be useful.

Wildcats17

Postby Wildcats17 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:48 pm

scoobers wrote:
!! Wow! Congrats! Free-ride, right?

pretty close! being kJD I was not expecting it at all so I'm still blown away by it. feels good lemme tell ya

neprep

Postby neprep » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:49 pm

Made it through to the final round of The Bachelorette casting.

Great thread, btw. Looks like KJDs have done pretty well per the poll results.

OliveBC

Postby OliveBC » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:50 pm

scoobers wrote:
kershka wrote:
OliveBC wrote:

- honors thesis

:shock:
but...how?

Dear god! Were they at least related?!

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:50 pm

OliveBC wrote:

- honors thesis

If I took time to get WE it would probably be doing something research related cuz that's all I know how to do :lol: but I'd be concerned they'd prefer something legal like being a paralegal etc...

Eh, if those are considered bad softs, then my softs are some wicked shit! Those look average.

You PhD/Masters folks - are you still looking to do academia or did something about academia deter you from sticking to it? I ask because I almost did grad school in philosophy.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”