KJD and/or Weak Softs Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What schools have you gotten in to?

Stanford
4%
Harvard
7%
Chicago
7%
Columbia
8%
NYU
13%
UVA/Penn
11%
Berkeley/Michigan
13%
Duke
16%
Cornell
7%
Georgetown
14%

Total votes: 524

Kimikho

Re: KJD and/or Weak Softs Thread

Postby Kimikho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:29 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote:
scoobers wrote:...none of us are saying we aren't lucky.

I am not one of them, but there are people ITT who worked full time while in UG. Don't be so quick to call people out.

I'm glad you already know you're lucky. Sounded like most people ITT are worried they are going to be looked down on because of their KJD status. I'm not saying that's never true, but I do think it's more of an advantage than you realize. Also, not calling people out. Are those who worked full time while in UG considered KJD? I always thought of KJD as those whose full time job was college and that's it.

Sorry, but KJD means kindergarten-through-JD. Some people like to say that if they worked full time throughout UG they aren't KJD, others disagree. I'd say it depends on the job. If you are working a job that doesn't really require a college degree, KJD. But that's just my opinion.

cee cee

Postby cee cee » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:33 pm

I think that most people are referring to the 'disadvantage' of Person A, who just graduated from college (whether they worked through college or not), compared to Person B, who is identical to Person A in every way but graduated three years ago and has been working the whole time. Person B would probably have an advantage over Person A.

thewaves

Postby thewaves » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:36 pm

Not K-JD but wanted to say, all the more power to you peeps who can power through 7 straight years of intense academics. I would go insane :D
Last edited by thewaves on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kershka

Postby kershka » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:37 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote:

I am not one of them, but there are people ITT who worked full time while in UG. Don't be so quick to call people out.

I'm glad you already know you're lucky. Sounded like most people ITT are worried they are going to be looked down on because of their KJD status. I'm not saying that's never true, but I do think it's more of an advantage than you realize. Also, not calling people out. Are those who worked full time while in UG considered KJD? I always thought of KJD as those whose full time job was college and that's it.

NYstate wrote:If you can score higher, you should retake. Don't leave points on the table. If you chose not to, that is on you, not other applicants.

I wish it were that simple.
I'm obviously not blaming anyone else for my situation. I just want you KJDs to know that the grass is not much greener on the other side. Both groups bring different advantages and disadvantages to the table.

No one was talking about scores etc. I also put myself through college and I earned a 4.0 but neither of these things has anything to do with my K-JD status (except it allowed me not to need to take time off to repay loans). This thread is just discussing otherwise identical applicants who applied to law school right out of school instead of working for a few years. We have a wide variety of test scores and GPAs. If one applicant applies straight out of school and another has WE but they have identical numbers then the person with WE generally has an edge in admissions.

I consider myself lucky that I was able to earn enough merit-based scholarships and well-paying jobs to pay for my tuition but I'm K-JD because I decided not to enter the workforce after UG. This puts me at a slight disadvantage compared to people with identical numbers but more WE. I'm not bitter about this because it was my choice to make and I don't think anyone else ITT is bitter either. Our numbers are the same no matter if we take some time off between UG and LS or not. I guess I'm just confused as to what your complaint is.

ETA: Not trying to be a bitch or anything. I'm genuinely confused by your comments.

Quest4Knowledge

Postby Quest4Knowledge » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:45 pm

kershka wrote:This thread is just discussing otherwise identical applicants who applied to law school right out of school instead of working for a few years. We have a wide variety of test scores and GPAs. If one applicant applies straight out of school and another has WE but they have identical numbers then the person with WE generally has an edge in admissions.

This is key.

JazzieShizzle

Postby JazzieShizzle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:47 pm

scoobers wrote:
JazzieShizzle wrote:

Sorry, but KJD means kindergarten-through-JD. Some people like to say that if they worked full time throughout UG they aren't KJD, others disagree. I'd say it depends on the job. If you are working a job that doesn't really require a college degree, KJD. But that's just my opinion.

Makes sense. I agree it depends on the job. I have a friend who worked full time during UG as a McDonald's mgr. Doesn't require a degree, but she had a big responsibility, so I count her as a non-KJD. I worked a job that requires an AA (although I didn't have one- I OJT'd & got the necessary certifications before that was required) and I'd still consider that a non-KJD job. I did it as a means to get through college, but I was in charge of people who did it as their career.

JazzieShizzle

Postby JazzieShizzle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:48 pm

Quest4Knowledge wrote:
kershka wrote:This thread is just discussing otherwise identical applicants who applied to law school right out of school instead of working for a few years. We have a wide variety of test scores and GPAs. If one applicant applies straight out of school and another has WE but they have identical numbers then the person with WE generally has an edge in admissions.

This is key.

Absolutely. That puts it in the perspective I was missing. Makes much more sense now, thanks.

JazzieShizzle

Postby JazzieShizzle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:55 pm

kershka wrote:
No one was talking about scores etc. I also put myself through college and I earned a 4.0 but neither of these things has anything to do with my K-JD status (except it allowed me not to need to take time off to repay loans). This thread is just discussing otherwise identical applicants who applied to law school right out of school instead of working for a few years. We have a wide variety of test scores and GPAs. If one applicant applies straight out of school and another has WE but they have identical numbers then the person with WE generally has an edge in admissions.

I consider myself lucky that I was able to earn enough merit-based scholarships and well-paying jobs to pay for my tuition but I'm K-JD because I decided not to enter the workforce after UG. This puts me at a slight disadvantage compared to people with identical numbers but more WE. I'm not bitter about this because it was my choice to make and I don't think anyone else ITT is bitter either. Our numbers are the same no matter if we take some time off between UG and LS or not. I guess I'm just confused as to what your complaint is.

ETA: Not trying to be a bitch or anything. I'm genuinely confused by your comments.

Obviously I missed the part about comparing identical applicants. I think I went straight to scores because all the schools in the poll are T20. I appreciate my experiences, but I am jealous of those who have college handed to them. Just being honest.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:05 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote:
kershka wrote:

Obviously I missed the part about comparing identical applicants. I think I went straight to scores because all the schools in the poll are T20. I appreciate my experiences, but I am jealous of those who have college handed to them. Just being honest.

The poll can only fit ten options. At the time, most of the thread had applied to those schools.

redbull12

Postby redbull12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:35 pm

Why isn't Yale included?

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:39 pm

redbull12 wrote:Why isn't Yale included?

No one ITT has been accepted that I know of and I was limited to ten options.

redbull12

Postby redbull12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:42 pm

scoobers wrote:

Even you? Yale must be nuts.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:43 pm

redbull12 wrote:
scoobers wrote:

Even you? Yale must be nuts.

:lol:

I haven't even applied yet.

Postby 052220151 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:26 am

JazzieShizzle wrote:I don't know why you KJDs think you have such a disadvantage. I get the (perceived/actual) lack of experience/maturity. I do. BUT don't we all agree that numbers are most important to adcomms? I worked full time throughout undergrad and you better believe I was sipping on that Haterade while my grades slipped because I was legitimately too busy and/or too tired to do as well as I could have. When I was prepping for the LSAT I was chugging that Haterade thinking about how my LSAT scores will be compared to someone who did nothing but study for 6 months. I worked full time during the day then spent my nights and weekends at the library prepping. I'm positive I could have scored higher if I didn't work full time, but there's nothing I can do about that. And here we are now. While you're all applying to T20, I'm in the T2. Not for lack of intelligence or ability, but because I did not have the opportunity you all had. Count yourselves lucky.

This post annoys me to no end. Don't attribute your shortcomings to being too busy because you had a job.

kershka

Postby kershka » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:27 am

JazzieShizzle wrote:
kershka wrote:

That makes sense. Clearly this was just a mis-communication issue. Sorry if my tone was snappish, it truly wasn't meant to be; I think I misunderstood you. There have just been other people who tell me my numbers aren't worth as much because I'm K-JD and don't have that "real world" experience and I probably interpreted your comments as more of that. It gets annoying when people tell me that my 4.0 was earned easily when I went through school getting up at 7am and not getting home until after 7pm, commuting between work and school rather than eating lunch, working such a large course load that I had to get special permission, and being so broke that I had to stop eating on Sundays because I couldn't afford to feed myself seven days a week. You obviously weren't saying that however and I let my defensiveness get the better of me, so I apologize. We just define K-JD differently.

Friends? :D

Postby 052220151 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:27 am

JazzieShizzle wrote:

NYstate wrote:If you can score higher, you should retake. Don't leave points on the table. If you chose not to, that is on you, not other applicants.

I wish it were that simple.
I'm obviously not blaming anyone else for my situation. I just want you KJDs to know that the grass is not much greener on the other side. Both groups bring different advantages and disadvantages to the table.

This one annoys me even more. Stop.

Postby 052220151 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:29 am

JazzieShizzle wrote:
scoobers wrote:
JazzieShizzle wrote:

Makes sense. I agree it depends on the job. I have a friend who worked full time during UG as a McDonald's mgr. Doesn't require a degree, but she had a big responsibility, so I count her as a non-KJD. I worked a job that requires an AA (although I didn't have one- I OJT'd & got the necessary certifications before that was required) and I'd still consider that a non-KJD job. I did it as a means to get through college, but I was in charge of people who did it as their career.

Stop, you're insufferable.

Postby 052220151 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:30 am

JazzieShizzle wrote:
kershka wrote:

You should quit complaining about other people having shit handed to them, and just do better.

Ron Mexico

Postby Ron Mexico » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:42 am

Are you guys seriously arguing over the definition of K-JD? There is only one correct answer. If you went straight from HS to college then to law school, you are a K-JD. Its that fucking simple.

anonanonanon123

Postby anonanonanon123 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:45 am

Any reason Yale isn't listed?

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:48 am

anonanonanon123 wrote:Any reason Yale isn't listed?

scoobers wrote:
FattyMcFatFat wrote:Add Northwestern to the poll.

I can't. We can only have ten options. I removed Yale, because no one ITT has gotten in, and Northwestern, because that is the least likely to accept KJDs.

scoobers wrote:

scoobers wrote:Added a poll!

Unfortunately, the max is ten options. So I combined schools that seem to be behaving similar this cycle, and took off Yale and NU. No one ITT has gotten into Yale, and while NU would be interesting, it's the least likely one for us.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:07 am

Ron Mexico wrote:Are you guys seriously arguing over the definition of K-JD? There is only one correct answer. If you went straight from HS to college then to law school, you are a K-JD. Its that fucking simple.

And people should instead argue about what sorts of K-JDs there are and why some are better than others.

But actually, I get the views of the poster saying he/she is jealous of those who didn't have to work that much in college. It's a reasonable feeling. I sort of see it from each side as I did community college for half of my degree, paid for a good amount of it and worked while commuting there. After transferring, I then did the whole "college as a full time job" thing. I felt much more responsibility before I transferred. But that doesn't always mean college is a lot easier without working either. Obviously it varies given what sorts of classes you take, professor difficulty, blah blah blah.

redbull12

Postby redbull12 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:22 am

And the sad truth of that outunga is that life isn't always fair.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:39 am

redbull12 wrote:And the sad truth of that outunga is that life isn't always fair.

D'ACCORDO. (another useless soft: taking Italian and not Spanish)

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:46 am

Otunga wrote:
redbull12 wrote:And the sad truth of that outunga is that life isn't always fair.

D'ACCORDO. (another useless soft: taking Italian and not Spanish)

That's pretty close to being Spanish (at least in this instance).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”