KJD and/or Weak Softs Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What schools have you gotten in to?

Stanford
4%
Harvard
8%
Chicago
7%
Columbia
8%
NYU
13%
UVA/Penn
11%
Berkeley/Michigan
13%
Duke
16%
Cornell
7%
Georgetown
14%

Total votes: 565

Kimikho

Gold

Re: KJD and/or Weak Softs Thread

Post by Kimikho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:50 pm

Here's a Harvard KJD graph I made a while back:

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:51 pm

scoobers wrote:
kershka wrote:
OliveBC wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:What kind of softs do y'all have?
I have okay softs I think.. But not spectacular. Also most of it seems geared towards phd stuff but that hasn't seemed to mess with my cycle at all so far.

Literally everything I've done:
- teaching assistant (3 semesters for 2 classes)
- research assistant 2 years
- honors thesis
- prosecutors office internship 1 yr
- job tutoring athletes 2 yrs
- summer job doing different research
- uhhhh I joined the psychology club on fb??

This could probably out me if someone really cared but whatevs

If I took time to get WE it would probably be doing something research related cuz that's all I know how to do :lol:
We have very similar softs. I interned at a different legal related place, had some significant leadership in student gov, and had 4 theses but otherwise very similar.
:shock:
but...how?
I got two BAs, and so I had to do all my requirements twice. Each required a Senior Thesis for graduating at all and an Honors Thesis if I wanted to graduate summa cum laude in both degrees.

And no, they weren't really related at all.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:52 pm

kershka wrote: I got two BAs, and so I had to do all my requirements twice. Each required a Senior Thesis for graduating at all and an Honors Thesis if I wanted to graduate summa cum laude in both degrees.

That sounds like the most awful experience. My UG lets majors that have senior theses just do longer versions of them for honors.

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by PourMeTea » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:52 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:53 pm

scoobers wrote:Here's a Harvard KJD graph I made a while back:

Have I mentioned that I love these graphs? I always appreciate new graphs/speadsheets/interesting data to look at.

Also, I see my dot!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Quest4Knowledge

Bronze

Post by Quest4Knowledge » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:53 pm

[img http://i.imgur.com/3AUaBaH.png[/img]
That's sweet, great graph. Where did you get the data from and what cycle? I'd love to see the numbers/play around with it.

krispymenudo

Bronze

Post by krispymenudo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:54 pm

hai. kjd here with what I like to think are at least average softs but probably are not.

OliveBC

Bronze

Post by OliveBC » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:54 pm

scoobers wrote:
kershka wrote: I got two BAs, and so I had to do all my requirements twice. Each required a Senior Thesis for graduating at all and an Honors Thesis if I wanted to graduate summa cum laude in both degrees.

That sounds like the most awful experience. My UG lets majors that have senior theses just do longer versions of them for honors.
I have two BAs as well but they didn't require theses and I chose to do mine in the field I like better lol

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:55 pm

Quest4Knowledge wrote:

[img http://i.imgur.com/3AUaBaH.png[/img]
That's sweet, great graph. Where did you get the data from and what cycle? I'd love to see the numbers/play around with it.
The data is all from the spreadsheets LS22 made (they are stickied at the top of this forum), but is a little old. If I have time (lol) I might repeat it with some of the new data, but I'm pretty sure only two or three KJDs have gotten in since.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:55 pm

scoobers wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:I've got pretty weak softs, but I'm a URM.

Can I play... or is that dumb?
of course! I'm sure you have still had to explain why law now? :D
I haven't interviewed anywhere yet. I just finished most of my applications.
I'm still thinking of an answer to that question. I'm just hoping my OK numbers and URM status make up for my dumb softs.

edit: quote mishap
Last edited by Brettanomyces on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:56 pm

scoobers wrote:

Meh, I did a lot of writing in college. It wasn't that bad though your system definitely sounds better!

It was a nice tool for motivating my student athletes. Whenever they complained about their five page papers, I'd just have to mention to two 25 page papers that I was writing and they'd stop :P

Also, I am totally outing myself to every adcomm out there. Oh well.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:56 pm

PourMeTea wrote:
neprep wrote:
Made it through to the final round of The Bachelorette casting.

Great thread, btw. Looks like KJDs have done pretty well per the poll results.
I was actually on the most recent season of The Bachelor, so you and your inferior K-JD softs can sit down.
While I support you in your endeavors, I am glad you didn't win this one

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:57 pm

kershka wrote:
scoobers wrote:
kershka wrote:
Meh, I did a lot of writing in college. It wasn't that bad though your system definitely sounds better!

It was a nice tool for motivating my student athletes. Whenever they complained about their five page papers, I'd just have to mention to two 25 page papers that I was writing and they'd stop :P
I tried to remove the identifying parts.

I wish my thesis could be 25 pages :(. I think the minimum is 50, expected is 75 :/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:58 pm

OliveBC wrote:
scoobers wrote:

I have two BAs as well but they didn't require theses and I chose to do mine in the field I like better lol
lol, solid choice :D

We are really eerily similar.

neprep

Silver

Post by neprep » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:58 pm

wtrc wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:
neprep wrote:
Made it through to the final round of The Bachelorette casting.

Great thread, btw. Looks like KJDs have done pretty well per the poll results.
I was actually on the most recent season of The Bachelor, so you and your inferior K-JD softs can sit down.
While I support you in your endeavors, I am glad you didn't win this one
Coins is a much better catch than Juan Pablo anyway.

But seriously, it appears as though having screen time is a pretty good soft. "Actors" are always listed in admitted class profiles.

cesium

Bronze

Post by cesium » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:58 pm

I'm curious: What would be some examples of someone with "average" softs for a T14 school? (I mean the average admitted applicant, not the average applicant.)

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:59 pm

scoobers wrote:
kershka wrote:
scoobers wrote:
kershka wrote:

I tried to remove the identifying parts.

I wish my thesis could be 25 pages :(. I think the minimum is 50, expected is 75 :/
Haha, thanks. I might go back and edit my posts soon.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:01 pm

cesium wrote:I'm curious: What would be some examples of someone with "average" softs for a T14 school? (I mean the average admitted applicant, not the average applicant.)
From what I've seen, I'd say it's 1-2 years WE, at least one leadership position for a school extracurricular club, some volunteer work, and a couple of internships.

Unless it's Yale, then it's more like curing cancer, publishing bestsellers and/or being an olympic silver-medalist.

tryagainkaz

New

Post by tryagainkaz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:02 pm

The overwhelming number of "above average" softs intrigues me as well. I realize I'm making a sweeping generaliztion here, but I just don't know how a kjd's or recent grad's "above average" softs really can compare to someone with a few years of work experience's "above average" softs. Sure, within a batch of similar cohorts it makes sense that some people would stand out as above average, but, when you compare across the two groups, but it seems a bit like comparing apples and oranges.

I'm personally at a loss as to where my softs fall. I was super involved in undergrad, worked throughout my four years, had summer internships, strong coursework, etc. But now, I have this awful gap of unemployment on my resume between graduating this past spring and when my applications went out. I ended up getting screwed over by a company who hired me to start working in July, then pushed my start date back to August, then pushed it to October and THEN tried to push it back to January. Certainly some of the blame falls on me for not just dropping them the first time they delayed my start date, but I really wanted the year of experience at this company before going to law school. So, I suppose I fall into that special group who graduated, lived at home, and studied for the LSAT. Woo. :P

OliveBC

Bronze

Post by OliveBC » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:03 pm

kershka wrote:
OliveBC wrote:
scoobers wrote:

k

lol, solid choice :D

We are really eerily similar.

Seriously! Especially with tutoring athletes.. What region did you attend school in? You can pm if you don't wanna say here... Now if only I had your LSAT and schools only cared about GPA from degree granting institution maybe I'd be in at Harvard too :cry:

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:04 pm

tryagainkaz wrote:The overwhelming number of "above average" softs intrigues me as well. I realize I'm making a sweeping generaliztion here, but I just don't know how a kjd's or recent grad's "above average" softs really can compare to someone with a few years of work experience's "above average" softs. Sure, within a batch of similar cohorts it makes sense that some people would stand out as above average, but, when you compare across the two groups, but it seems a bit like comparing apples and oranges.

I'm personally at a loss as to where my softs fall. I was super involved in undergrad, worked throughout my four years, had summer internships, strong coursework, etc. But now, I have this awful gap of unemployment on my resume between graduating this past spring and when my applications went out. I ended up getting screwed over by a company who hired me to start working in July, then pushed my start date back to August, then pushed it to October and THEN tried to push it back to January. Certainly some of the blame falls on me for not just dropping them the first time they delayed my start date, but I really wanted the year of experience at this company before going to law school. So, I suppose I fall into that special group who graduated, lived at home, and studied for the LSAT. Woo. :P
Other than that last bit, our softs sound very similar.

I'm sure it won't matter, tbh. I think applying this year having graduated last year is still okay and I doubt people who are actually rank lower on the "totem poll" to admissions committees than KJDs do.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Quest4Knowledge

Bronze

Post by Quest4Knowledge » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:08 pm

scoobers wrote: The data is all from the spreadsheets LS22 made (they are stickied at the top of this forum), but is a little old. If I have time (lol) I might repeat it with some of the new data, but I'm pretty sure only two or three KJDs have gotten in since.
Thanks, I didn't know it was from this year - i'll take a look at those spreadsheets.

Beercules

Bronze

Post by Beercules » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:15 pm

Gettin' in on the fun. Grade my softs:

Fraternity President
2 years WE as a paralegal
2 years Volunteer exp. at a hospital

Go.

redbull12

Bronze

Post by redbull12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:17 pm

Beercules wrote: Greek life
Fraternity is not a positive.
Last edited by redbull12 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:17 pm

Checking in

K-JD, though I feel my softs should be seen as good enough not to hurt. PM if you want more detail.
Last edited by drawstring on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”