KJD and/or Weak Softs Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What schools have you gotten in to?

Stanford
4%
Harvard
8%
Chicago
7%
Columbia
8%
NYU
13%
UVA/Penn
11%
Berkeley/Michigan
13%
Duke
16%
Cornell
7%
Georgetown
14%

Total votes: 565

xmbeckham

New

Re: KJD and/or Weak Softs Thread

Post by xmbeckham » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:15 am

Just wondering how would you define "weak softs." Sitting at home and doing (near) absolutely nothing?

Quest4Knowledge

Bronze

Post by Quest4Knowledge » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:22 am

xmbeckham wrote:Just wondering how would you define "weak softs." Sitting at home and doing (near) absolutely nothing?
It's arbitrary, but I'd say yeah, that would qualify. Being a member of a few clubs (but no leadership involvement), little or no work experience, no real substantial extra curricular stuff during school would all be considered 'weak' softs imo.

Jessasaurus

Bronze

Post by Jessasaurus » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:27 pm

So I would have considered myself to be a k-jd with average softs...but then I only have a 171/3.75 and I got a JS1 which I never even expected. So I'm thinking there had to have been something in my softs they were interested in.

redbull12

Bronze

Post by redbull12 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:44 pm

xmbeckham wrote:Just wondering how would you define "weak softs." Sitting at home and doing (near) absolutely nothing?
lol.

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:48 am

If I'm at home, there's usually nothing weak/soft about me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:57 am

Brettanomyces wrote:
If I'm at home, there's usually nothing weak/soft about me.
Classic.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:25 am

Hey Scoobs! Just wanted to see if I'd burst into flames if I set foot in here!

neprep

Silver

Post by neprep » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:03 am

ScottRiqui wrote:Hey Scoobs! Just wanted to see if I'd burst into flames if I set foot in here!
AreYouKiddingMe.gif

:|

hippo-hapatamus

New

Post by hippo-hapatamus » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:26 pm

This is just my opinion which maybe no one else shares, but I think there are two major categories of softs. There's your softs that indicate you will be a good, conscientous lawyer (related WE, community service, leadership ability). And there's your softs that make you an interesting person to talk to (Military service, bilingual, member of a prominent Russian rap group, college athlete, etc).

The latter category doesn't really indicate that you're going to be a good lawyer, or even a good law student. But admitting interesting people raises the profile of the school, because it makes the school seem interesting. There's nothing worse than a school getting a reputation for graduating a bunch of boring nerds who do nothing but study. Instead of holding that elite institution in awe, people make fun of it.

My totally unsubstantiated theory is that a combination of both types of softs can take you further than any amount of softs from just one category. So that's how I see strong vs. weak softs--it's whether or not you can check both boxes: "interesting" and "shows promise". What do you guys think?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:14 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:Hey Scoobs! Just wanted to see if I'd burst into flames if I set foot in here!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ScottRiqui, you are welcomed everywhere!

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:36 am

Scott should be in every thread, tbqh.

Quest4Knowledge

Bronze

Post by Quest4Knowledge » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:19 pm

hippo-hapatamus wrote:My totally unsubstantiated theory is that a combination of both types of softs can take you further than any amount of softs from just one category. So that's how I see strong vs. weak softs--it's whether or not you can check both boxes: "interesting" and "shows promise". What do you guys think?
That makes sense, but I also think it's more than just being able to 'check both boxes'. I think if you have 'show promise' softs that are very challenging and rare, OR 'interesting' softs that are similarly rare and prestigious, you could still be considered having strong softs.

That being said, this is all quite arbitrary. I think if you have limited softs but are able to draft a compelling personal narrative, then depending on the reviewer it could be just as helpful as someone who has somewhat impressive softs but just lists them.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:52 pm

Boom goes the dynamite!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Quest4Knowledge

Bronze

Post by Quest4Knowledge » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:07 pm

For those KJDs who have been accepted/had interviews, did your KJD status ever come up and how did you address it?

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:18 pm

Bumping this up.

Got Northwestern recently. It was a really small wave, so I waited a bit before posting.

8)

Quest4Knowledge

Bronze

Post by Quest4Knowledge » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:42 pm

scoobers wrote:Bumping this up.

Got Northwestern recently. It was a really small wave, so I waited a bit before posting.

8)
Congrats Scoobers! Very impressive!!!

flyingboy

New

Post by flyingboy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:43 pm

Quest4Knowledge wrote:For those KJDs who have been accepted/had interviews, did your KJD status ever come up and how did you address it?
Came up for both Harvard and Chicago. I just talked about how my academic and internship experiences relate to my interests in law. Just be honest and have a solid reason for going to law school instead of doing something else.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

odela

New

Post by odela » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:21 am

Did many of you leave Northwestern (or their interview) out of your application cycle?

bryanjbay12

Bronze

Post by bryanjbay12 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:32 am

odela wrote:Did many of you leave Northwestern (or their interview) out of your application cycle?
I did, not because of the interview or anything, but because my old boss (who's a family friend) just would not get the LOR in. I eventually just gave up on asking and decided not to apply.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:02 pm

odela wrote:Did many of you leave Northwestern (or their interview) out of your application cycle?
Honestly? I wasn't aware of their emphasis on work experience when I initially applied :oops:

winterorange

New

Post by winterorange » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:08 pm

kellohitty wrote:KJD over here! Not only that, but I also crammed 4 years of undergrad into 3. I obviously like pain.
+1 or however many other people have done this. I should probably starting thinking of an articulate response to the inevitable question that will be asked about this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 pm

Bump. Deposited at Texas. Withdrew everywhere else but NU.

hcrimson2014

Bronze

Post by hcrimson2014 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:15 pm

Quest4Knowledge wrote:For those KJDs who have been accepted/had interviews, did your KJD status ever come up and how did you address it?
Nope, but after getting accepted I was talking to their admissions office for advice as to what I should do to prepare for ls, the interviewer whom I am sure put in a good word for me because I wouldn't have been accepted otherwise told me to live life and get some real world experience.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:22 pm

I hope it's being a K-JD that has held me back. Better that than something else that is unclear to me....

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:26 pm

Also, I've asked this question a few times and gotten different responses. If someone graduates in May, starts full time work immediately, then applies in September, is that a KJD or someone who has about a year and a half of WE (because that's what it will be upon matriculation).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”