Negotiating Scholarships: UCLA Full Tuition

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
yomisterd

Negotiating Scholarships: UCLA Full Tuition

Postby yomisterd » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:22 am

So far in my cycle I have been admitted to NYU and UCLA. Only UCLA has gotten back to me with scholarship and they are offering full tuition. Would it be possible to use this full tuition offer as a bargaining chip with NYU? Should I wait until I hear about possible merit scholarships at NYU?

Thanks for any and all responses.

BigZuck

Re: Negotiating Scholarships: UCLA Full Tuition

Postby BigZuck » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:45 am

Wait

yomisterd

Postby yomisterd » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:00 pm

BigZuck wrote:Wait

Thanks Zuck. That was my intuitive response, but I appreciate the confirmation.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:39 pm

yomisterd wrote:So far in my cycle I have been admitted to NYU and UCLA. Only UCLA has gotten back to me with scholarship and they are offering full tuition. Would it be possible to use this full tuition offer as a bargaining chip with NYU? Should I wait until I hear about possible merit scholarships at NYU?

You can try. I'm not sure how much a scholarship at UCLA is going to affect NYU, though, as NYU is ranked a bit higher. It's easier to leverage scholarships when the school is roughly considered a peer school. As to your second question, personally, I would not wait. Financial aid is done on a rolling basis I think and there is a finite amount of scholarship money available in any given year. I would want to get in my request as early as possible, while there is still a lot of money available.

Alternatively: you could try and leverage your UCLA full tuition scholarship to get some scholarship money at, say, Michigan, Virginia, Penn, etc. Then, if that works, try and use that to leverage money from NYU. Not sure this would actually work but can't hurt to try.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:34 pm

ph14 wrote:
yomisterd wrote:So far in my cycle I have been admitted to NYU and UCLA. Only UCLA has gotten back to me with scholarship and they are offering full tuition. Would it be possible to use this full tuition offer as a bargaining chip with NYU? Should I wait until I hear about possible merit scholarships at NYU?

You can try. I'm not sure how much a scholarship at UCLA is going to affect NYU, though, as NYU is ranked a bit higher. It's easier to leverage scholarships when the school is roughly considered a peer school. As to your second question, personally, I would not wait. Financial aid is done on a rolling basis I think and there is a finite amount of scholarship money available in any given year. I would want to get in my request as early as possible, while there is still a lot of money available.

Alternatively: you could try and leverage your UCLA full tuition scholarship to get some scholarship money at, say, Michigan, Virginia, Penn, etc. Then, if that works, try and use that to leverage money from NYU. Not sure this would actually work but can't hurt to try.

Meh. It's February. Have they even started releasing financial aid decisions? Personally I wouldn't want to tip my hand with "just" a UCLA full ride and would prefer letting them make the first offer.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:04 pm

BigZuck wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Meh. It's February. Have they even started releasing financial aid decisions? Personally I wouldn't want to tip my hand with "just" a UCLA full ride and would prefer letting them make the first offer.

I disagree, but up to you, OP.

yomisterd

Postby yomisterd » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:22 pm

Thanks both for your advice. I think that as soon as I get a peer school offer or admittance I may go ahead and start negotiating. Until then, I will wait.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:28 pm

ph14 wrote:

I'm intrigued by this. UCLA->NYU seems like a stretch, but UCLA->DNCG->PVMB->CCN... Who knows? If you do have an acceptance within DNCG, those schools might consider your scholly worth competing with, and so on from there. Something to do in the meantime.

jdapplicant

Postby jdapplicant » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:35 pm

yomisterd wrote:Thanks both for your advice. I think that as soon as I get a peer school offer or admittance I may go ahead and start negotiating. Until then, I will wait.

That definitely seems like the right decision IMO

koval

Postby koval » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:27 am

Is UCLA considered pretty liberal in their scholarship offers? If OP got a full ride at UCLA what would the gulf be between NYU and UCLA?

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:00 pm

NM

Scrambles84

Postby Scrambles84 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:33 pm

I would wait until you hear from NYU on money, if you're in a position where you should expect at least some initial offer from them. But like other people are saying, that UCLA full scholly alone won't provide a whole lot of leverage - they're more interested in hearing about offers you've received from peer schools.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”