Negotiating Scholarships: UCLA Full Tuition

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
yomisterd
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Negotiating Scholarships: UCLA Full Tuition

Postby yomisterd » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:22 am

So far in my cycle I have been admitted to NYU and UCLA. Only UCLA has gotten back to me with scholarship and they are offering full tuition. Would it be possible to use this full tuition offer as a bargaining chip with NYU? Should I wait until I hear about possible merit scholarships at NYU?

Thanks for any and all responses.

BigZuck
Posts: 10867
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Negotiating Scholarships: UCLA Full Tuition

Postby BigZuck » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:45 am

Wait

User avatar
yomisterd
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarships: UCLA Full Tuition

Postby yomisterd » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:00 pm

BigZuck wrote:Wait


Thanks Zuck. That was my intuitive response, but I appreciate the confirmation.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarships: UCLA Full Tuition

Postby ph14 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:39 pm

yomisterd wrote:So far in my cycle I have been admitted to NYU and UCLA. Only UCLA has gotten back to me with scholarship and they are offering full tuition. Would it be possible to use this full tuition offer as a bargaining chip with NYU? Should I wait until I hear about possible merit scholarships at NYU?

Thanks for any and all responses.


You can try. I'm not sure how much a scholarship at UCLA is going to affect NYU, though, as NYU is ranked a bit higher. It's easier to leverage scholarships when the school is roughly considered a peer school. As to your second question, personally, I would not wait. Financial aid is done on a rolling basis I think and there is a finite amount of scholarship money available in any given year. I would want to get in my request as early as possible, while there is still a lot of money available.

Alternatively: you could try and leverage your UCLA full tuition scholarship to get some scholarship money at, say, Michigan, Virginia, Penn, etc. Then, if that works, try and use that to leverage money from NYU. Not sure this would actually work but can't hurt to try.

BigZuck
Posts: 10867
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Negotiating Scholarships: UCLA Full Tuition

Postby BigZuck » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:34 pm

ph14 wrote:
yomisterd wrote:So far in my cycle I have been admitted to NYU and UCLA. Only UCLA has gotten back to me with scholarship and they are offering full tuition. Would it be possible to use this full tuition offer as a bargaining chip with NYU? Should I wait until I hear about possible merit scholarships at NYU?

Thanks for any and all responses.


You can try. I'm not sure how much a scholarship at UCLA is going to affect NYU, though, as NYU is ranked a bit higher. It's easier to leverage scholarships when the school is roughly considered a peer school. As to your second question, personally, I would not wait. Financial aid is done on a rolling basis I think and there is a finite amount of scholarship money available in any given year. I would want to get in my request as early as possible, while there is still a lot of money available.

Alternatively: you could try and leverage your UCLA full tuition scholarship to get some scholarship money at, say, Michigan, Virginia, Penn, etc. Then, if that works, try and use that to leverage money from NYU. Not sure this would actually work but can't hurt to try.


Meh. It's February. Have they even started releasing financial aid decisions? Personally I wouldn't want to tip my hand with "just" a UCLA full ride and would prefer letting them make the first offer.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarships: UCLA Full Tuition

Postby ph14 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:04 pm

BigZuck wrote:
ph14 wrote:
yomisterd wrote:So far in my cycle I have been admitted to NYU and UCLA. Only UCLA has gotten back to me with scholarship and they are offering full tuition. Would it be possible to use this full tuition offer as a bargaining chip with NYU? Should I wait until I hear about possible merit scholarships at NYU?

Thanks for any and all responses.


You can try. I'm not sure how much a scholarship at UCLA is going to affect NYU, though, as NYU is ranked a bit higher. It's easier to leverage scholarships when the school is roughly considered a peer school. As to your second question, personally, I would not wait. Financial aid is done on a rolling basis I think and there is a finite amount of scholarship money available in any given year. I would want to get in my request as early as possible, while there is still a lot of money available.

Alternatively: you could try and leverage your UCLA full tuition scholarship to get some scholarship money at, say, Michigan, Virginia, Penn, etc. Then, if that works, try and use that to leverage money from NYU. Not sure this would actually work but can't hurt to try.


Meh. It's February. Have they even started releasing financial aid decisions? Personally I wouldn't want to tip my hand with "just" a UCLA full ride and would prefer letting them make the first offer.


I disagree, but up to you, OP.

User avatar
yomisterd
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarships: UCLA Full Tuition

Postby yomisterd » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:22 pm

Thanks both for your advice. I think that as soon as I get a peer school offer or admittance I may go ahead and start negotiating. Until then, I will wait.

whereskyle
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 am

Re: Negotiating Scholarships: UCLA Full Tuition

Postby whereskyle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:28 pm

ph14 wrote:
yomisterd wrote:So far in my cycle I have been admitted to NYU and UCLA. Only UCLA has gotten back to me with scholarship and they are offering full tuition. Would it be possible to use this full tuition offer as a bargaining chip with NYU? Should I wait until I hear about possible merit scholarships at NYU?

Thanks for any and all responses.


You can try. I'm not sure how much a scholarship at UCLA is going to affect NYU, though, as NYU is ranked a bit higher. It's easier to leverage scholarships when the school is roughly considered a peer school. As to your second question, personally, I would not wait. Financial aid is done on a rolling basis I think and there is a finite amount of scholarship money available in any given year. I would want to get in my request as early as possible, while there is still a lot of money available.

Alternatively: you could try and leverage your UCLA full tuition scholarship to get some scholarship money at, say, Michigan, Virginia, Penn, etc. Then, if that works, try and use that to leverage money from NYU. Not sure this would actually work but can't hurt to try.



I'm intrigued by this. UCLA->NYU seems like a stretch, but UCLA->DNCG->PVMB->CCN... Who knows? If you do have an acceptance within DNCG, those schools might consider your scholly worth competing with, and so on from there. Something to do in the meantime.

jdapplicant
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:05 am

Re: Negotiating Scholarships: UCLA Full Tuition

Postby jdapplicant » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:35 pm

yomisterd wrote:Thanks both for your advice. I think that as soon as I get a peer school offer or admittance I may go ahead and start negotiating. Until then, I will wait.


That definitely seems like the right decision IMO

User avatar
koval
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:19 am

Re: Negotiating Scholarships: UCLA Full Tuition

Postby koval » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:27 am

Is UCLA considered pretty liberal in their scholarship offers? If OP got a full ride at UCLA what would the gulf be between NYU and UCLA?

User avatar
McAvoy
Posts: 1584
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarships: UCLA Full Tuition

Postby McAvoy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:00 pm

NM

Scrambles84
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarships: UCLA Full Tuition

Postby Scrambles84 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:33 pm

I would wait until you hear from NYU on money, if you're in a position where you should expect at least some initial offer from them. But like other people are saying, that UCLA full scholly alone won't provide a whole lot of leverage - they're more interested in hearing about offers you've received from peer schools.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], chromefox and 5 guests