Application asks for school GPA. School doesn't give out GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
taylorswiftfan

Application asks for school GPA. School doesn't give out GPA

Postby taylorswiftfan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:31 am

--
Last edited by taylorswiftfan on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

taylorswiftfan

Re: Application asks for school GPA. School doesn't give out GPA

Postby taylorswiftfan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:30 pm

bump. .
would really appreciate if anyone can help me on this. i've been trying to figure it out on my own but i can't find any information on this issue. :|

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:38 pm

Are you filling out the LSAC generic/universal app (whatever they call it)? All that does is autofill in all the school apps as much as possible. When you get into each school's app, you need to fill in whatever they ask you for. If something is optional, then I guess you can decide whether to fill it in. I don't think most schools even ask for your high school GPA, if I remember correctly.

You need to send in a transcript for your grad school. LSAC will calculate a GPA for you (or not, maybe. It's really their call how they interpret it) on your academic report. In the parts where YOU have to fill in a grad GPA, just put n/a. If you think it's still confusing even after the academic report is done, you can attach an addendum document briefly explaining that your grad school does not give a GPA.

taylorswiftfan

Postby taylorswiftfan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:45 pm

--
Last edited by taylorswiftfan on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cal Trask

Postby Cal Trask » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:51 pm

taylorswiftfan wrote:I am referring to the individual schools' applications: they say to "list ALL educational institutions attended." So would that include High School?

Also, I sent in my grad school transcript and they didn't calculate that into my law school report. It just says on my law school report that the grad school transcript is attached and that's about it.

You're asking a lot of questions here that could be answered by looking at the LSAC site.

1. The fields asking for high school information (not all schools do) doesn't require high school gpa. You can leave that blank; I believe it's used to determine residency information. When it says "ALL Educational Institutions" it's mainly asking about post-high school but it will flag it if it needs high school too. For now you should be okay with Community college, undergrad, transfer institutions, post-grad, etc.

2. Classes taken after gaining your Bachelor's degree are not counted toward the LSAC GPA. That means that those of us with less-than-stellar undergrad GPAs can't just go down to the local community college and load up on booster classes.

taylorswiftfan

Postby taylorswiftfan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:55 pm

Thank you all for your help. I probably should have been more clear in my posting. Sorry about that.

I guess my main concern is whether or not it is a big deal (decision-wise) if i don't put down my grad school GPA (since they don't calculate one there) and my high school GPA (because it is a mediocre GPA) on the law school application for various schools.

I know it isn't required, but if i leave it blank are they going to question that in a negative manner and be suspicious?

Cal Trask

Postby Cal Trask » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:01 am

Do you think listing it will hurt your chances?

taylorswiftfan

Postby taylorswiftfan » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:10 am

I'm not sure... I don't think it will hurt my chances and i don't think it will help my chances (if that makes sense to you)

If you are right, I just find it annoying that I have to write an addendum explaining why i listed my grad school GPA as "N/A" because my grad school doesn't give out cumulative GPAs.

I'd rather : Either use some legitimate, universally used GPA calculator website or not answer the grad school GPA question at all since it is optional.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:48 am

taylorswiftfan wrote:Thank you all for your help. I probably should have been more clear in my posting. Sorry about that.

I guess my main concern is whether or not it is a big deal (decision-wise) if i don't put down my grad school GPA (since they don't calculate one there) and my high school GPA (because it is a mediocre GPA) on the law school application for various schools.

I know it isn't required, but if i leave it blank are they going to question that in a negative manner and be suspicious?

No one will care about high school unless you committed a murder while there. Grad school is going to be pretty unimportant, too. Putting "NA" will not hurt you. The only thing that would hurt you with a grad program would be if you failed out or something.

SFrost

Postby SFrost » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:44 am

I didn't put highschool or community college GPA (Didn't feel like calculating them). I put my grad school GPA which was lower than my undergrad GPA.

I don't think it matters at all. I've outperformed my LSAT/GPA so far and left a lot of the fields blank.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”