Utterly confused. Please help.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jc6286

Utterly confused. Please help.

Postby jc6286 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:14 am

Hey TLS community!

I've been trolling these boards for a while, and I finally gathered the courage to ask for some advice here. I'm going to try to keep this all as brief as possible, but I feel some context is in order.

My Background: Dad immigrated to the US in the '80s. He has a zero education, and has been illiterate most of his life (he finally started to learn how to read at 49). My mom had slightly more opportunity; she graduated from high school, became a career secretary, with a sprinkling of a cosmetology education somewhere in the middle of the last 20 years (my maternal grandparents have a sixth grade education).

Me: Currently 27. I finished one year of UG back in '05. Had a solid GPA of 3.7 and did well, but ran out of money (my parents don't have much, are divorced, and refused to help my financially or declare me as an independent so I could acquire more aid). I was also pursuing a professional dance career that happened to take off, so decided to focus on that. Over the course of 7 years I become a world-class dancer and competitor, and landed into operating several well performing dance schools. I was about to buy in, but suffered a career-ending injury in '12. I've been hopelessly lost ever since.

I managed to leverage my business experience into a role as an executive manager for an up-and-coming consumer services company. When I started in 2012 we generated about 5 millions dollars worth of revenue for the year; this year we're slated to do 35-45 million. I'm part of a six member team of directors who make various global business decisions (expansion, SOP, outsourcing, etc.), but we also all have our own areas of individual focus- mine is customer service, and I manage a team of 30 (we'll be at 55 by the end of the year). I should be one of the first VPs at the company within the next 6-12 months.

I've been really lucky to achieve any of this, especially without a degree and particularly through the economy of the last six years. But I want more.

I'm finally at a place where I can make enough money to sustain myself and pay for my UG out of pocket, so I just started school about six months ago and will complete a BS in Management/Public Affairs by May 2015. When I do, I'll be the first in my family to graduate from college.

I want to see myself go further (I'm obsessed with law - my sister-in-law is a 3L and I've been quizzing her/reading through her coursework since she started), but with my work experience and current salary (plus 2 years of promotion/pay increases), I would need to get into T14 to justify walking away from my career. I just took my first three LSAT practice tests as diagnostics: 165, 162, 168.

Here are my questions:

Should I try to take the LSAT in June and apply during the '14-'15 cycle? (Studying for LSAT while working full-time @ 60 hrs/week and taking a five class course load).

Do I focus on my UG completion and study starting summer '15 when I'm done with school and take the LSAT in the Fall, applying in the '15-'16 cycle?

I'll be 28 this year, and 29 or 30 when entering law school, depending on when I apply. Too old?

Will T14 schools look at me oddly because I never finished the UG degree six years ago?

I've been toying with the idea of a JD/MBA program - any thoughts on this? Studying business may be a safety blanket.

If I really listen to what I want to do, it's law, and based on my research Colombia's JD/LL.B foreign dual degree program in London specifically. Crazy?

Thank you all for any assistance you have in being able to navigate through this successfully. After I was injured, I didn't know what direction to focus my life, but this seems to be it. There are very few people I can ask for advice, so I appreciate any you may have.

Mack.Hambleton

Re: Utterly confused. Please help.

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:33 am

Last edited by Mack.Hambleton on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:22 pm

Assuming you took those diagnostics under real conditions, you're probably golden for the LSAT and shouldn't need to allocate more than three months to study for it after you finish UG. So focus everything you have on getting a solid UG GPA. Don't worry about specific law programs yet; just get your numbers locked down.

Do make sure you figure out in the coming years, though, if law is really want you want to do. Law can be a good option for many people, but the opportunity cost can be enormous. For example, your age won't matter as far as whether they'll let you in or how people will look at you once you're there. But you're essentially starting over professionally when you do this. It sounds like you're in a successful situation now. I'm not telling you it would be a mistake for you to ditch it all and get a law degree, but it's certainly something you need to think a lot about in the next few years.

rapstar

Postby rapstar » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:40 pm

You say you are "obsessed with law." What do you mean by this though? What do you want to do with a law degree? Be a public defender, work at a nonprofit, be a biglaw associate in NYC, a trial attorney is a small town, a professor...? It sounds like you have a pretty good job right now and enjoy the company you are working for. If money is the reason for the switch then I would think long an hard about this. Even assuming you could get scholarship money from a lower t-14, you would still likely end of spending well over a $100k getting a law degree plus lose three years worth of paychecks. Realistic best case with a law degree is to get a job where you're going to be making $150k-$200k for the first eight or ten years of your career. It sounds like you could potentially make this much money staying where you are...? If it's not about money, and it's just about wanting to be a lawyer (and doing family law or something like that) then why is T-14 your only option? Might as well take a full scholarship at a regional school and save yourself the extra tuition costs...

Bottom line -- can't know what a good decision is unless you know what your end goal is.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”