Deferment and Scholarship Money

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dadownclub8

Deferment and Scholarship Money

Postby dadownclub8 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:51 am

Hi. I have a question regarding deferment. Let's say that I get into school A and negotiate x amount of money. After this process, if I defer admission for a year but am serious about going to school A, does the amount that I negotiated previously apply when I start going or no? I apologize if this is a question that has been answered elsewhere but can't seem to find a complete answer to my question here on the forums thus far. Thank you.

pcthenls

Re: Deferment and Scholarship Money

Postby pcthenls » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:07 am

dadownclub8 wrote:Hi. I have a question regarding deferment. Let's say that I get into school A and negotiate x amount of money. After this process, if I defer admission for a year but am serious about going to school A, does the amount that I negotiated previously apply when I start going or no? I apologize if this is a question that has been answered elsewhere but can't seem to find a complete answer to my question here on the forums thus far. Thank you.

My experience is limited to deferments for Peace Corps, but most adcoms told me that they would defer my acceptance but not my scholarship. They usually said something along the lines of "you should still be competitive in two years," and indicated that I would get a similar award, but no guarantees. This is what I heard from several schools during the 2010-2011 cycle. I decided to just try reapplying which was the best decision I could have made in this market.

I do have a coworker who says she deferred from UCLA with a scholarship and was able to negotiate keeping the scholarship. I don't think this is the norm, but would be interested in knowing if other cases exist.

I say your best bet is to talk to the school in depth and drive home the fact that you want to attend, but cannot financially do it without your scholarship. You also better have a compelling reason to defer, and be competitive in general.

Best of luck!

Cal Trask

Postby Cal Trask » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:11 am

At least a couple of the scholarship offers I have received so far have explicitly stated that the scholarship could not be deferred. It doesn't hurt to ask, but like the above poster, I'm inclined to believe you won't have much luck.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:15 am

What about the other way around? What if you get in, defer and then retake the LSATs and get a higher score. Will you be considered for scholarships the second go-around if you weren't for the first?

Dingo Starr

Postby Dingo Starr » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:52 am

Seoulless wrote:What about the other way around? What if you get in, defer and then retake the LSATs and get a higher score. Will you be considered for scholarships the second go-around if you weren't for the first?

This is a business proposition. You want school x and school x wants your numbers (and your money). School x doesn't have any incentive to offer more scholarship money to you if you have already confirmed that you wish to attend. A better question to ask, then, might be whether you will be eligible for scholarships after a deferment and increase in LSAT score. School x probably won't offer you more money right off the bat, unless your score is amazeballs and you are likely to attend elsewhere next cycle. You will likely have to ask for your financial aid package to be reconsidered/re-evaluated. This is SOP, though, regardless of your situation when it comes to scholly negotiation.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”