(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
imperspective

Postby imperspective » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:49 pm

Last edited by imperspective on Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whereskyle

Re: Waiting a year

Postby whereskyle » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:53 pm

AmeriCorps or entry level paralegal work or some bullshit job that you don't have to think about so you can study away for a 180.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:54 pm

imperspective wrote:I am going to retake, but what should I do in the intervening year? I'm graduating in may, but my major is philosophy so I can't really get a job from that lol

What is a good timeline for the upcoming year?

Probably need more facts. Where do you live now? Are you strapped for cash? Do you have the ability to do volunteer type stuff?

You definitely don't want to take the year off just to just "chill."

aesth24

Postby aesth24 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:02 pm

imperspective wrote:I am going to retake, but what should I do in the intervening year? I'm graduating in may, but my major is philosophy so I can't really get a job from that lol

Substitute teaching. Get the substitute permit (30-day emergency permit) and just apply through your district or edjoin.org. The permit is super easy to get, just pass a simple high school level exam (CBEST) and you're in. Pay ranges from $100-200 a day based on what district you're in and workload is dependent on you.

aviatrixsteff

Postby aviatrixsteff » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:20 pm

aesth24 wrote:

Substitute teaching. Get the substitute permit (30-day emergency permit) and just apply through your district or edjoin.org. The permit is super easy to get, just pass a simple high school level exam (CBEST) and you're in. Pay ranges from $100-200 a day based on what district you're in and workload is dependent on you.

Woah, where do you live? I substitute in Texas for $55-75 a day.

imperspective

Postby imperspective » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:54 pm

Last edited by imperspective on Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:55 pm

imperspective wrote:
UnderrateOverachieve wrote:

Probably need more facts. Where do you live now? Are you strapped for cash? Do you have the ability to do volunteer type stuff?

You definitely don't want to take the year off just to just "chill."

I live in Columbus OH, and I'm not exactly strapped for cash, but I do live paycheck to paycheck. I have a campaign job in a State Senate race over the summer, and if we win I guess I'll be an aide. But, I don't think we'll win. The question is on what to do November '14 to August '15.

I live in Ohio. I took a year off. Substitute teach.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:32 pm

Work. Chill. Drink. Party. It literally does not matter unless you're going to LS to advance in some field you're already in.

aesth24

Postby aesth24 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:39 am

aviatrixsteff wrote:
aesth24 wrote:

Woah, where do you live? I substitute in Texas for $55-75 a day.

California. Most are around the low 100s, though I've seen a few postings close to $200.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”