Drop-out advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
walkingpanda

Drop-out advice

Postby walkingpanda » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:23 am

I just dropped out after 1st semester. Can I apply to another law school this cycle?
Dropped out of T-10 with (2.5 GPA) , hoping to go to a T-50 this fall.

1. Is it possible?
2. Do schools typically give out aid in these type of situations?

Paul Campos

Re: Drop-out advice

Postby Paul Campos » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:44 pm

Yes you can do this. You'll need a letter of good standing from your old school certifiying that you weren't kicked out but rather quit voluntarily.

The better question is why you want to do this. By far the best predictor of law school grades is previous law school grades. If you were at the bottom of the class after one semester of 1L, it's very likely you're not good at taking law school exams. Sure the competition at a lower ranked school will be less severe, but not that much less. In other words, bottom of the class at a T-10 is very unlikely to translate to better than median at a T-50, and median at T-50 rules you out for all grade-sensitive jobs.

You still have a T-10 LSAT/GPA. If you really want to be a lawyer, you could take those numbers and get a free ride at a decent regional school in an area you want to be. That makes more sense that racking up massive debt, given that you're unlikely to be in the running for the kinds of jobs that people go to T-14s to get.

redbull12

Postby redbull12 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:01 pm

the legend paul campos has spoken.

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:03 pm

Paul Campos wrote:If you really want to be a lawyer, you could take those numbers and get a free ride at a decent regional school in an area you want to be. That makes more sense that racking up massive debt, given that you're unlikely to be in the running for the kinds of jobs that people go to T-14s to get.

Gucci Mane

Postby Gucci Mane » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:01 pm

Is that the real Paul Campos? If so its pretty cool that he posts here.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:32 pm

redbull12 wrote:the legend paul campos has spoken.

walkingpanda

Postby walkingpanda » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:23 pm

Paul Campos wrote:Yes you can do this. You'll need a letter of good standing from your old school certifiying that you weren't kicked out but rather quit voluntarily.

The better question is why you want to do this. By far the best predictor of law school grades is previous law school grades. If you were at the bottom of the class after one semester of 1L, it's very likely you're not good at taking law school exams. Sure the competition at a lower ranked school will be less severe, but not that much less. In other words, bottom of the class at a T-10 is very unlikely to translate to better than median at a T-50, and median at T-50 rules you out for all grade-sensitive jobs.

You still have a T-10 LSAT/GPA. If you really want to be a lawyer, you could take those numbers and get a free ride at a decent regional school in an area you want to be. That makes more sense that racking up massive debt, given that you're unlikely to be in the running for the kinds of jobs that people go to T-14s to get.

Thanks. I got sick and really couldn't focus on studies. My main intention is to do precisely what you have suggested. I do have a regional school in mind and I hope to get a full ride.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”