Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kobe1020
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby kobe1020 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:35 pm

Just wondering when do they release employment numbers for class of 2013? It will be good to have the chance to compare how schools were doing last year before picking one of them to bet our lives on.:p

cfox17
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:02 am

Re: Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby cfox17 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:04 pm

ABA requires law schools to release that information around March, should also be around the time the new USNews rankings come out! Definitely going to help decide my future if a school jumps or falls much in employment numbers.

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby jenesaislaw » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:32 pm

This year, the ABA moved the employment status date from Feb 15th to March 15th, i.e. from 9 months to 10 months. This means that the new employment data will be out around the first or second week of April. We'll have the data up on LST within an hour or two of the ABA releasing the data.

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby yossarian » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:49 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:This year, the ABA moved the employment status date from Feb 15th to March 15th, i.e. from 9 months to 10 months. This means that the new employment data will be out around the first or second week of April. We'll have the data up on LST within an hour or two of the ABA releasing the data.


You are a saint.

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby phillywc » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:14 pm

yossarian71 wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:This year, the ABA moved the employment status date from Feb 15th to March 15th, i.e. from 9 months to 10 months. This means that the new employment data will be out around the first or second week of April. We'll have the data up on LST within an hour or two of the ABA releasing the data.


You are a saint.

+1

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby jenesaislaw » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:11 am

Repay LST by joining our beta testing group and providing feedback so that the release of the new site is awesome 8) (See my post history for the thread.)

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15456
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:53 am

NLJ 250 numbers came out around this time last year. The ABA data is better though.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby Crowing » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:36 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:NLJ 250 numbers came out around this time last year. The ABA data is better though.


Hm, was the NLJ data always behind a subscriber wall?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15456
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:40 pm

Crowing wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:NLJ 250 numbers came out around this time last year. The ABA data is better though.


Hm, was the NLJ data always behind a subscriber wall?

No. Hopefully this year's will at least start out free like last year's.

User avatar
BLUERUFiO
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:46 pm

Re: Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby BLUERUFiO » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:01 am

Ugh. That means the employment numbers will be out after most tuition deposits are due :( Unless we can look them up individually, if the school's post them?

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby jenesaislaw » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:20 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:Ugh. That means the employment numbers will be out after most tuition deposits are due :( Unless we can look them up individually, if the school's post them?


Right. This was one of the main arguments LST used, but we lost the vote by 1. I was in attendance for it and was floored. The most enraging quote was by Rebecca Berch, Chief Justice of the Arizona Supreme Court. "Legal education has taken a lot of hits because of people not being reported as employed. If going out a month helps to better capture that information, I think we should do it."

I told the National Law Journal: "The Council is confused about its duties," he said following the vote. "It's not to protect the law schools or to ensure that legal education looks better."

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby Winston1984 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:29 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:
BLUERUFiO wrote:Ugh. That means the employment numbers will be out after most tuition deposits are due :( Unless we can look them up individually, if the school's post them?


Right. This was one of the main arguments LST used, but we lost the vote by 1. I was in attendance for it and was floored. The most enraging quote was by Rebecca Berch, Chief Justice of the Arizona Supreme Court. "Legal education has taken a lot of hits because of people not being reported as employed. If going out a month helps to better capture that information, I think we should do it."

I told the National Law Journal: "The Council is confused about its duties," he said following the vote. "It's not to protect the law schools or to ensure that legal education looks better."


That is so shitty. I too was hoping to use new information to influence my decision. At least we will have it before the second deposit deadlines are due.

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby jenesaislaw » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:46 pm

Winston1984 wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:
BLUERUFiO wrote:Ugh. That means the employment numbers will be out after most tuition deposits are due :( Unless we can look them up individually, if the school's post them?


Right. This was one of the main arguments LST used, but we lost the vote by 1. I was in attendance for it and was floored. The most enraging quote was by Rebecca Berch, Chief Justice of the Arizona Supreme Court. "Legal education has taken a lot of hits because of people not being reported as employed. If going out a month helps to better capture that information, I think we should do it."

I told the National Law Journal: "The Council is confused about its duties," he said following the vote. "It's not to protect the law schools or to ensure that legal education looks better."


That is so shitty. I too was hoping to use new information to influence my decision. At least we will have it before the second deposit deadlines are due.


You have the power now. I wouldn't deposit without seeing the latest data. I would also demand enrollment projections from the school so that I could feel certain that the school isn't going to make a tuition grab by doubling the number of students. If the school does that, you have no recourse except to drop out right away or transfer after 1L (maybe).

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:52 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:The most enraging quote was by Rebecca Berch, Chief Justice of the Arizona Supreme Court. "Legal education has taken a lot of hits because of people not being reported as employed. If going out a month helps to better capture that information, I think we should do it."


wow. just..... wow.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15456
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:54 pm

Winston1984 wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:
BLUERUFiO wrote:Ugh. That means the employment numbers will be out after most tuition deposits are due :( Unless we can look them up individually, if the school's post them?


Right. This was one of the main arguments LST used, but we lost the vote by 1. I was in attendance for it and was floored. The most enraging quote was by Rebecca Berch, Chief Justice of the Arizona Supreme Court. "Legal education has taken a lot of hits because of people not being reported as employed. If going out a month helps to better capture that information, I think we should do it."

I told the National Law Journal: "The Council is confused about its duties," he said following the vote. "It's not to protect the law schools or to ensure that legal education looks better."


That is so shitty. I too was hoping to use new information to influence my decision. At least we will have it before the second deposit deadlines are due.

It sucks, but you should probably send 2 or 3 deposits anyway. And don't base too much of your decision off of one year of employment stats.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby Crowing » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:59 pm

Kyle is there any plan in the foreseeable future to transition LST to aggregating or at least reporting multiple years of data?

akg144
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:56 am

Re: Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby akg144 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:12 pm

Also is there any way in the future we will be able to determine non-big law salaries like public interest, private sector and firm jobs of less than 100?

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby jenesaislaw » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:36 pm

Crowing wrote:Kyle is there any plan in the foreseeable future to transition LST to aggregating or at least reporting multiple years of data?


Yes, I hope to do that in the near-future. We will start with geographic aggregates in the next month or so. Then hopefully aggregate years of data not too far after that. (Frankly, it will depend on my time, which is increasingly thin.)


akg144 wrote:Also is there any way in the future we will be able to determine non-big law salaries like public interest, private sector and firm jobs of less than 100?


Check the 2011 data available on each school profile. Working on getting the 2012 salary data into the databases now, but it's just me so I'm trying to do a million things at once. If anybody wants to help input data, I think we have probably 5 hours of data entry that would be a major help and accelerate the data sharing process.

kobe1020
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Re: Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby kobe1020 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:03 am

I know for a fact that UC Irvine (not sure about other schools but should be in similar situation) was reporting its employment stats as of Feb. 14th to ABA, but they WON'T be released for QUITE A WHILE.

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby jenesaislaw » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:03 pm

May want to fact check that. Submission date to the ABA is April 7th based on an employment status date of March 15th.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby Crowing » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:54 am

NLJ250 data came out right around now last year iirc

It's not terribly useful, but it's an interesting prelude to the full employment stats

User avatar
Robespierre
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby Robespierre » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:16 am

This is for the Classes of 2014 and 2015, and thus off-topic, but interesting new background info:

http://www.nalp.org/uploads/Perspective ... ec2013.pdf

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Class of 2013 employment stats - when to release?

Postby superflush » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:36 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:The most enraging quote was by Rebecca Berch, Chief Justice of the Arizona Supreme Court. "Legal education has taken a lot of hits because of people not being reported as employed. If going out a month helps to better capture that information, I think we should do it."


wow. just..... wow.


I'm inclined to agree with that actually. I would say that 1 year from graduation would be a good indicator.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aowusu, Bing [Bot], galeatus, izha, notnecessarilyproper, studyingeveryday, URM_lawnerd, UVA2B, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests