Transcripts from several colleges?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aviatrixsteff

Transcripts from several colleges?

Postby aviatrixsteff » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:47 am

I was considering taking some community college classes this summer to bump my GPA a bit, but I was wondering if having transcripts from several different colleges looks bad? I already have grades coming from 5 colleges, would 6 make a difference?

spleenworship

Re: Transcripts from several colleges?

Postby spleenworship » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:47 pm

aviatrixsteff wrote:I was considering taking some community college classes this summer to bump my GPA a bit, but I was wondering if having transcripts from several different colleges looks bad? I already have grades coming from 5 colleges, would 6 make a difference?

At that point, no.

That said, if you bounced aroun colleges a bunch, and explanation may be in order when you apply.

Progress01

Postby Progress01 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:28 pm

aviatrixsteff wrote:I was considering taking some community college classes this summer to bump my GPA a bit, but I was wondering if having transcripts from several different colleges looks bad? I already have grades coming from 5 colleges, would 6 make a difference?

No. I took a bunch of community college classes as a high schooler and therefore also ended up with 5 transcripts. I haven't had a school mention it as bad.

Also, I did the same thing with summer classes to ramp up the GPA that you're thinking of doing--do it, it's worth it!

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:54 pm

I had multiple transcripts as well, hasn't hurt me at all. Granted I explained it within the flow of my PS, but I don't think its an issue. Just explain it if you have really odd reasons for having so many.

KingJamesLBJ

Postby KingJamesLBJ » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:12 pm

NO. Everyone that went to a community college before transferring to a university, has multiple transcripts.

aviatrixsteff

Postby aviatrixsteff » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:24 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:

I had multiple transcripts as well, hasn't hurt me at all. Granted I explained it within the flow of my PS, but I don't think its an issue. Just explain it if you have really odd reasons for having so many.

Glad to hear that! Do you think it is worth writing an addendum? It doesn't really fit into my PS. The colleges were mostly local (2 universities and 2 community colleges in my town). I just took classes that fit into my schedule and interested me at the various campuses. Perhaps that will be evident without my explanation.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:56 pm

aviatrixsteff wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:

Glad to hear that! Do you think it is worth writing an addendum? It doesn't really fit into my PS. The colleges were mostly local (2 universities and 2 community colleges in my town). I just took classes that fit into my schedule and interested me at the various campuses. Perhaps that will be evident without my explanation.

Yeah, I'm not saying you have to put it in your PS, mine just naturally flowed within the narrative of my PS. My guess is that you won't need to explain it, just be sure that if you had any interruptions in your education to mention that.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:37 pm

Skip the addendum. Schools will only care about your LSDAS GPA. If it's good, they don't care how you got it. Take the summer classes and boost your GPA. The boost will help you more than having 6 transcripts instead of 5 will hurt you. Good luck.

aviatrixsteff

Postby aviatrixsteff » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:51 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:Skip the addendum. Schools will only care about your LSDAS GPA. If it's good, they don't care how you got it. Take the summer classes and boost your GPA. The boost will help you more than having 6 transcripts instead of 5 will hurt you. Good luck.

That is an excellent point! Thank you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”