C&F Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Cigar Galaxy

C&F Question

Postby Cigar Galaxy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:31 pm

Hello, I was looking for advice. I'm hoping to apply to a couple of schools that have deadlines coming up, but my juvenile background check information doesn't come back until a few days after the deadline. I have one arrest as a kid, but I don't know what the charge was. It never made it to court. Is there anything I can do so that it doesn't look like I didn't disclose everything while still applying on time?

Thank you!

Pneumonia

Re: C&F Question

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:34 pm

Just be honest about the events that led to the arrest and about the arrest itself. It won't matter that you don't know the technicalities.

Cigar Galaxy

Postby Cigar Galaxy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:38 pm

Thank you for the quick response!

I know why I was arrested, but I only know approximately when. I'll disclose as much as I remember.

Do you think I should send some sort of update after getting the juvenile record?

SBTC

Postby SBTC » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:41 pm

Maybe you should consider going to a hypnotist to recover those lost memories. It's pretty alarming that you can't remember the circumstances of your own arrest.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:45 pm

Cigar Galaxy wrote: I know why I was arrested, but I only know approximately when. I'll disclose as much as I remember.

How "approximately" are we talking about here? Do you mean you can't remember the exact day and time? Or do you mean that you can't even remember what year it was? If it's the former, then I don't think there's anything wrong with writing: "In the summer of 2005, I was arrested for defacing public property." I don't think you need an exact date.

Cigar Galaxy

Postby Cigar Galaxy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:47 pm

Thanks for the response.

I know why I was arrested, but not what I was charged with. I was in elementary school. I received a letter a few years ago saying I no longer had to answer "yes" to any question asking if I'd ever been arrested, but I understand that doesn't apply to law school.

Cigar Galaxy

Postby Cigar Galaxy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:50 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Cigar Galaxy wrote: I know why I was arrested, but I only know approximately when. I'll disclose as much as I remember.

How "approximately" are we talking about here? Do you mean you can't remember the exact day and time? Or do you mean that you can't even remember what year it was? If it's the former, then I don't think there's anything wrong with writing: "In the summer of 2005, I was arrested for defacing public property." I don't think you need an exact date.

Ok, thanks. I know the year and season, yes. But I really don't know what I was charged with. Maybe I can just explain the circumstances that lead to my arrest?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:53 pm

Cigar Galaxy wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Ok, thanks. I know the year and season, yes. But I really don't know what I was charged with. Maybe I can just explain the circumstances that lead to my arrest?

Are you sure you were charged with anything? You said the case never made it to court.

In any event, I would just explain the circumstances of the arrest. If your pending juvenile background check contains something material that you had forgotten or didn't know about, you can send an addendum. I really don't think this is a big deal.

Cigar Galaxy

Postby Cigar Galaxy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:58 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Cigar Galaxy wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Are you sure you were charged with anything? You said the case never made it to court.

In any event, I would just explain the circumstances of the arrest. If your pending juvenile background check contains something material that you had forgotten or didn't know about, you can send an addendum. I really don't think this is a big deal.

I'm not sure that I was, but I have to assume I was charged with something or else I don't think I would have received a letter saying that I didn't have to disclose any part of my juvenile record in the future.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:02 pm

Cigar Galaxy wrote:
I'm not sure that I was, but I have to assume I was charged with something or else I don't think I would have received a letter saying that I didn't have to disclose any part of my juvenile record in the future.

You could have been arrested and not charged. It happens all the time (to adults as well as juveniles). You still have an "arrest record" even if you are not charged. It's possible that the letter was informing you that the arrest was expunged from your record.

Also: if you had been charged, some adversarial process would have ensued. I am sure that you (or at least your parents) would remember if that had happened.
Last edited by rpupkin on Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cigar Galaxy

Postby Cigar Galaxy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:05 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Cigar Galaxy wrote:

You could have been arrested and not charged. It happens all the time (to adults as well as juveniles). You still have an "arrest record" even if you are not charged. It's possible that the letter was informing you that your arrest was expunged from your record.

I see. Maybe that's what happened. I'll still disclose it, since most schools ask for all information, even stuff that has been expunged. If I miss anything major, I'll send an addendum.

Thanks!

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:15 pm

Elementary school :shock:

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:55 pm

cron1834 wrote:Elementary school :shock:

No kidding :?

But if I were you I'd call the schools in question and ask them. Asha suggests you need to be pretty detailed in C&F addenda and depending on just how much or little you can remember, you probably want to be safe rather than sorry.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”