Professor doesn't know me? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SBTC

New

Professor doesn't know me?

Post by SBTC » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:55 pm

Low GPA. One professor writing my LOR knows my name but doesn't really know me, would it be feasible to get a letter from an additional professor who doesn't know me, period? I have two professors in mind, but I took their classes almost 4-5 years ago, made an A, and haven't had any contact with them since so they have no idea who I am. Is this ever done, or should I just get one academic recommendation and hope that doesn't hurt me too badly? (Haven't been out of undergrad that long.)

yomisterd

Gold

Re: Professor doesn't know me?

Post by yomisterd » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:00 pm

Would recommend sending in work you did for them as well as your resume and a letter detailing what you enjoyed about their class and what you excelled at. That way they can build off of that, even if they don't really know you.

Optimist Prime

Bronze

Post by Optimist Prime » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:05 pm

Last edited by Optimist Prime on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

BPlaura

Bronze

Post by BPlaura » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:11 pm

You're certainly not the only law school applicant without a solid academic recommendation. Some professors will be understanding of your situation and will write you a letter without really knowing you - but it's going to be a very generic letter unless you can provide them with the information that yomisterd suggested.

I'd also suggest that how you present yourself to the professor is going to be even more important than usual - be super polite, well-spoken, etc., because the professor will essentially be getting a "first impression" of you all over again.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:33 am

I agree with the above posts. Ask the professor nicely while giving him an out. Ask him if he would be willing to do it while saying you would completely understand if he doesn't want to. Did you go to a highly regarded undergrad? I did not and have had professors tell me that the school encourages them to assist students with this type of thing just because it makes the school look good to get students into good grad schools.

If the prof doesn't seem into it, do you have a real job? If so get a boss to write you one. I am a non trad and had two bosses write letters and only one prof and it doesn't seem to have hurt me at all.

Good luck!

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:52 pm

SBTC wrote:Low GPA. One professor writing my LOR knows my name but doesn't really know me, would it be feasible to get a letter from an additional professor who doesn't know me, period? I have two professors in mind, but I took their classes almost 4-5 years ago, made an A, and haven't had any contact with them since so they have no idea who I am. Is this ever done, or should I just get one academic recommendation and hope that doesn't hurt me too badly? (Haven't been out of undergrad that long.)
This is why academic advisors should aggressively encourage students to get LORs before they graduate!

How long is "that long"? Depending on where you're applying and how long "that long" is, you can probably get away with one academic and one professional if the alternative is two weak academic ones.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”