Would appreciate advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawapp2014

New

Would appreciate advice

Post by lawapp2014 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:11 pm

I just realized that Stanford explicitly says that it prefers letters of rec that are tailored to the school. How do I submit a fourth letter of rec after my application has gone complete, and should I even do that?

lawapp2014

New

Re: Would appreciate advice

Post by lawapp2014 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:20 pm

Anyone? :D

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:01 pm

You couldn't even wait TEN MINUTES to post a follow-up beg/bump?

axel.foley

Bronze

Post by axel.foley » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:15 pm

I would post this in the Spivey thread. But IMO I don't think this would be a good idea. 4 LORs is pretty excessive, even if your earlier ones weren't tailored. Also, I doubt most people who apply -- and get in -- to Stanford ask their profs/bosses to tailor, for two reasons: a) what would they even write if they were not an alum of Stanford? I feel like anything would be contrived and the result of a quick random fact from google, and b) you are already asking them for a reasonably intensive favor.

Save your fourth just in case you get WL'd.

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:23 pm

axel.foley wrote:I would post this in the Spivey thread. But IMO I don't think this would be a good idea. 4 LORs is pretty excessive, even if your earlier ones weren't tailored. Also, I doubt most people who apply -- and get in -- to Stanford ask their profs/bosses to tailor, for two reasons: a) what would they even write if they were not an alum of Stanford? I feel like anything would be contrived and the result of a quick random fact from google, and b) you are already asking them for a reasonably intensive favor.

Save your fourth just in case you get WL'd.
The above is what I have read as well. Of course they, like any other school, would appreciate recommendations from someone with considerable knowledge of the school.

It's questionable whether they expect a professor to spend a few hours on the Stanford website in order to regurgitate things in the recommendation.

lawapp2014

New

Post by lawapp2014 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:11 pm

Okay, thank you for the advice!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”