recommender wants me to send in a list of pointers

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
taylorswiftfan

recommender wants me to send in a list of pointers

Postby taylorswiftfan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:08 pm

recommender wants me to send a list of aspects in my record i think schools will be especially interested in. he said he'll mention those in the letter....
not sure what adcomms REALLY like other than a good LSAT and GPA... Don't know what to tell my recommender..

suggestions on what softs/mentions adcomms really like to see in a recommendation?

Balthy

Re: recommender wants me to send in a list of pointers

Postby Balthy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:17 pm

is this a prof?

taylorswiftfan

Postby taylorswiftfan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:43 pm

yes.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:05 pm

The reason why academic LORs are so important (and preferred by adcomms) is of course bc they attest to your academic abilities, so you should first ask him to include any specifics regarding class performance, analytic and writing ability, general communication skills, thesis work, etc. Politely ask to include specific examples (I think Anna Ivey's book mentioned that this is one of the biggest mistakes made my LOR writers), and provide the examples. Non-academic softs should be secondary, but this might be an opportunity to have someone credible corroborate more obscure parts of your resume, if you have any (for example my prof mentioned a campus group we started which was not yet an official school organization when I began applying to law shcools). If your recommender just wants to throw in a few things despite having no relation to them himself (e.g., "I was also aware that Billy Bob was dedicating much of his time to X, Y, and Z organizations throughout his courses with me, and he was still a curve-breaking badass mofo") then I would give him the best softs you have, but explain the importance of emphasizing academics.

taylorswiftfan

Postby taylorswiftfan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:50 pm

Yeah i took the class a while ago so i can't seem to remember much about what i did that was so different from other students... and to be quite honest i didn't really do anything in class that made me so stellar and outstanding. i did well in the course and raised my hand sometimes but i didn't do anything crazy outstanding.

but i'll tell him to mention that i was strong on class performance, exhibited analytic and writing ability etc

ltrego

Postby ltrego » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:51 pm

Did you write any exceptional papers for the class? Do really well on a project?

owlofminerva

Postby owlofminerva » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:37 pm

I think giving pointers should be done for all recommenders. I generally suggest that somebody think about the different aspects of them that can be shown from your various letter writers. In my case, I had one professor who primarily focused on academic abilities, another professor who wrote about leadership aspects, and a job supervisor write about character and work ethic. Of course, there is some overlap but I feel that three letters all saying the same thing is less helpful than each letter having a certain trait you want it to focus on. Also agree with the advice above on having specific examples to give to your recommender for them to incorporate as they see fit into the letter.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”