Need-Based Scholarship Essay

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
theycallmefoes
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:13 pm

Need-Based Scholarship Essay

Postby theycallmefoes » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:23 pm

I've noticed that a few schools give you the option to write an essay requesting a need-based scholarship. For example, Notre Dame includes the following instructions:
Please electronically attach a one-page essay (double-spaced) that describes your financial circumstances related to your need for financial assistance.
Can I get some advice as to how to best approach this? Are they looking for a dry, straightforward, here's my financial information type of thing? Or a more emotional, tug-at-your-heartstrings appeal? And are there any examples available?
Last edited by theycallmefoes on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Financial Aid Essay Advice

Postby guano » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:29 pm

Just cop that merit aid

theycallmefoes
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:13 pm

Re: Financial Aid Essay Advice

Postby theycallmefoes » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:36 pm

guano wrote:Just cop that merit aid
Any particular reason why?

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Financial Aid Essay Advice

Postby guano » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:53 pm

theycallmefoes wrote:
guano wrote:Just cop that merit aid
Any particular reason why?

A) it's within your control
B) it's more negotiable

theycallmefoes
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:13 pm

Re: Financial Aid Essay Advice

Postby theycallmefoes » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:59 pm

guano wrote:
theycallmefoes wrote:
guano wrote:Just cop that merit aid
Any particular reason why?

A) it's within your control
B) it's more negotiable

That's true. But it seems like it would be worthwhile to aim for both.

theycallmefoes
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:13 pm

Re: Need-Based Scholarship Essay

Postby theycallmefoes » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:10 pm

Let's try these:
1. Can submitting this hurt my application in any way?
2. Do need-based scholarships primarily go to individuals who qualify/have previously qualified for significant government aid? Or do they take a serious look at special circumstances (unlike the FAFSA)?
3. How much (broadly) do people generally receive from need-based scholarships (i.e., of those who actually receive them)? Are they trivial in comparison to merit-based scholarships?

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Need-Based Scholarship Essay

Postby guano » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:54 pm

theycallmefoes wrote:Let's try these:
1. Can submitting this hurt my application in any way?
2. Do need-based scholarships primarily go to individuals who qualify/have previously qualified for significant government aid? Or do they take a serious look at special circumstances (unlike the FAFSA)?
3. How much (broadly) do people generally receive from need-based scholarships (i.e., of those who actually receive them)? Are they trivial in comparison to merit-based scholarships?

1. probably not, but maybe.., probably more of an issue if you're a marginal candidate
2. no idea, but they predominantly go to people who need it (which is rare in the student loan era)
3. No idea. There's very little information on need aid , but all the info you need on merit, which at plenty of schools can be full tuition, or more

With the exception of HYS, need based aid is rare, and merit aid quite common. You can usually estimate whether you qualify and for how much by checking GPA/LSAT. And you can negotiate for merit aid.
On the other hand, need aid is uncommon and there's very little information about it. I qualified for both, but was offered more merit than need. Merit aid is subtracted from need, it doesn't stack.

Basically, need aid is almost (but not entirely) a flame. Student loans mean (almost) everyone can pay their tuition bill. Whereas if your scores are high enough, you can get merit aid quite easily. If they're not high enough, you can always retake. (Or go to a lesser school). The top schools are the exception to all this, so if you're talking about HYS, please speak up

theycallmefoes
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:13 pm

Re: Need-Based Scholarship Essay

Postby theycallmefoes » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:45 pm

guano wrote: Merit aid is subtracted from need, it doesn't stack.
Is this standard practice?

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Need-Based Scholarship Essay

Postby guano » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:50 pm

theycallmefoes wrote:
guano wrote: Merit aid is subtracted from need, it doesn't stack.
Is this standard practice?

Yes. Think about it. If you get merit aid, you don't need as much.
Keep in mind that, outside of HYS, merit aid is quite uncommon, and becoming more so. With the advent of widely available student loans, demonstrating need is a lot more complicated than just saying you have no money.

On the other hand, if your LSAT/GPA is high enough, you can just say "give me money, bitches", and you'll probably get it. Some schools have even publicly stated what GPA/SAT combos give how much scholarship. The general rule of thumb is that if your LSAT and GPA are both above the 75%, you can get a crapload, which at some schools can be full tuition + living expenses (other schools have lower caps)

theycallmefoes
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:13 pm

Re: Need-Based Scholarship Essay

Postby theycallmefoes » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:54 pm

guano wrote:
theycallmefoes wrote:
guano wrote: Merit aid is subtracted from need, it doesn't stack.
Is this standard practice?

Yes. Think about it. If you get merit aid, you don't need as much.
Keep in mind that, outside of HYS, merit aid is quite uncommon, and becoming more so. With the advent of widely available student loans, demonstrating need is a lot more complicated than just saying you have no money.

On the other hand, if your LSAT/GPA is high enough, you can just say "give me money, bitches", and you'll probably get it. Some schools have even publicly stated what GPA/SAT combos give how much scholarship. The general rule of thumb is that if your LSAT and GPA are both above the 75%, you can get a crapload, which at some schools can be full tuition + living expenses (other schools have lower caps)
Ok. Thanks so much for the help!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adamcohen3, geoffreym and 10 guests