School says email them the scholarship offers I've gotten? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Progress01

New

School says email them the scholarship offers I've gotten?

Post by Progress01 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:39 am

I called one of the schools (Toledo) where I'm still under review/pending at (It's been over a month, and I'm hearing back from everyone else). The lady in the admissions office asked me, "Are you hearing from other schools?" I told her yes. She then asked me if I had any scholarship offers from other schools. I said yes (because I do, ranging from a 10k no stips to 75% with tough stips). She then said quote, "Email us here at the admissions office what scholarships you've been offered, and by what schools. That should give a good push." I hung up the phone and felt immediately off. IS IT NORMAL PROCEDURE for other schools to know what schools/what money they've offered you? Is it ethical? They won't try to screw you over at another school?

Is this how merit aid negotiation begins? Or does this sound unusual? I'm NOT trusting, and exposing my offers to people makes me incredibly leery.

papercut

Silver

Re: School says email them the scholarship offers I've gotten?

Post by papercut » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:52 am

Many applicants will do this on their own in negotiating a bump in their scholarship offers.

I don't think it's unethical. I think it'll work in your favor.

SFrost

Bronze

Post by SFrost » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:59 am

Honest question: why do you think this would be unethical?

Law school is a business transaction. It makes sense for a school to inquire on the valuation made by other schools, right?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:42 am

How would they screw you over at another school? "Hello school A, this is school B, we wanted to let you know that Progress1 applied here and called asking for an update." How would that possibly screw you? Schools all know you're applying to a bunch of places, and they're not going to/can't rescind your acceptances or scholarships. If you're worried Toledo will make something up or something, that's fairly paranoid.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:50 am

Yes, this is normal procedure. It's what "negotiating" means.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:12 pm

Hmmm, wouldn't surprise me if they outright reject you if present them with a scholarship offer from a much better school or one that they are unable to match -- sounds fishy.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:16 pm

californiauser wrote:Hmmm, wouldn't surprise me if they outright reject you if present them with a scholarship offer from a much better school or one that they are unable to match -- sounds fishy.
Yeah, is it potentially a sketchy YP ploy?

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:30 pm

californiauser wrote:Hmmm, wouldn't surprise me if they outright reject you if present them with a scholarship offer from a much better school or one that they are unable to match -- sounds fishy.
Then he wouldn't be going there anyway.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:08 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
I don't know the op's situation. Maybe he has a mortgage in Toledo or something, and wants to stay in Toledo.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:33 pm

californiauser wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
I don't know the op's situation. Maybe he has a mortgage in Toledo or something, and wants to stay in Toledo.
Then he could make that clear when he sends in the offers.

I agree that starting the scholarship negotiation process before you've been accepted is a bit weird. Then again, calling them and telling them to hurry up after only a bit more than a month was weird in itself, and probably unadvised, so you're in strange waters.

Progress01

New

Post by Progress01 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:03 pm

midwest17 wrote:
californiauser wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
Then again, calling them and telling them to hurry up after only a bit more than a month was weird in itself, and probably unadvised, so you're in strange waters.
It's actually been three days shy of TWO months since I turned in the app, thank you very much. I don't know how calling the admissions office and making sure your file is complete and not missing anything is unadvised.
I'm lining up my Midwest trip for spring break for the schools I've been accepted to, so it would just be nice to know.

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:13 pm

Progress01 wrote:I called one of the schools (Toledo) where I'm still under review/pending at (It's been over a month, and I'm hearing back from everyone else). The lady in the admissions office asked me, "Are you hearing from other schools?" I told her yes. She then asked me if I had any scholarship offers from other schools. I said yes (because I do, ranging from a 10k no stips to 75% with tough stips). She then said quote, "Email us here at the admissions office what scholarships you've been offered, and by what schools. That should give a good push." I hung up the phone and felt immediately off. IS IT NORMAL PROCEDURE for other schools to know what schools/what money they've offered you? Is it ethical? They won't try to screw you over at another school?

Is this how merit aid negotiation begins? Or does this sound unusual? I'm NOT trusting, and exposing my offers to people makes me incredibly leery.

Holy Toledo

Progress01

New

Post by Progress01 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:32 am

indo wrote: Holy Toledo
Holy Toledo is right.
I sent them that bizarre aforementioned email yesterday. Today I was accepted via status checker. What a coincidence right :roll:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:36 am

Its definitely unusual they asked for that info BEFORE accepting you

Progress01

New

Post by Progress01 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:02 am

Nova wrote:Its definitely unusual they asked for that info BEFORE accepting you
Definitely weird, almost got a creepy vibe. They wanted a copy of the pdf that Akron sent me with my scholarship offer. I took a screenshot of the email, but didn't send the pdf (I feel like that's just weird).
I feel like, personally, they wanted proof that another school felt like I was worth taking a chance on, before they made their decision. If that's the case, I really don't like how they do it. Maybe this had to do with my C&F flaw, but eight other schools felt like I wasn't risk, so why didn't they? I don't know.

Mildly unsettling. Also, the lady replied to my email (from when I sent over the screenshot), and was like "I forwarded it to the admissions committee, let's see what happens." Yet I was already accepted via status checker? That was never mentioned? Super, super weird.

str8yolked

Bronze

Post by str8yolked » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:05 am

Progress01 wrote:
Definitely weird, almost got a creepy vibe. They wanted a copy of the pdf that Akron sent me with my scholarship offer. I took a screenshot of the email, but didn't send the pdf (I feel like that's just weird).
I feel like, personally, they wanted proof that another school felt like I was worth taking a chance on, before they made their decision. If that's the case, I really don't like how they do it. Maybe this had to do with my C&F flaw, but eight other schools felt like I wasn't risk, so why didn't they? I don't know.

Mildly unsettling. Also, the lady replied to my email (from when I sent over the screenshot), and was like "I forwarded it to the admissions committee, let's see what happens." Yet I was already accepted via status checker? That was never mentioned? Super, super weird.
Sounds to me like she was trying to help you out.

oshberg28

Bronze

Post by oshberg28 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:06 pm

Progress01 wrote:

Have you seen the movie Airheads?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”