What should I do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chocolatesugar

What should I do?

Postby chocolatesugar » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:09 am

Hey guys. Here's my story. I applied with a 163 LSAT and a 3.08 GPA

So far....admitted at Miami and WLed at Washington and Lee and Minnesota. For more details and more schools I've applied to, here's my LSN page: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Chocolatesugar

I got wait listed. Anyone know odds of getting off of it?

I'd appreciate some input.

Thank you.

Moneytrees

Re: What should I do?

Postby Moneytrees » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:16 am

I was also waitlisted at Minnesota. My best friend was wait listed there last year. He was accepted about a month later. He called and asked where he ranked on the waitlist, but from what I remember they were pretty evasive about information like that. Give that a shot and see how it plays out.

Where are you from? Minnesota and W&L don't have the strongest employment numbers.

Yanky91

Postby Yanky91 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:19 am

chocolatesugar wrote:Hey guys. Here's my story. I applied with a 163 LSAT and a 3.08 GPA

So far....admitted at Miami and WLed at Washington and Lee and Minnesota. For more details and more schools I've applied to, here's my LSN page: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Chocolatesugar

Thank you.

Miami is bad news. Don't go there. Wait and see who else accepts you. You might be surprised later on in the cycle.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:20 am

Most schools do not employ a definitive waitlist ranking; it's more like "what do we need diversify our class" (GPA/LSAT, but also geographic location, age, gender, WE etc.) and then they find someone on the WL who has it. That's why WL's are so big.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:23 am

Pneumonia wrote:Most schools do not employ a definitive waitlist ranking; it's more like "what do we need diversify our class" (GPA/LSAT, but also geographic location, age, gender, WE etc.) and then they find someone on the WL who has it. That's why WL's are so big.

Interesting. Do you have any info on the average number of people get accepted at top schools from the waitlist? I realize this is a very general question. I have a feeling I'm going to get waitlisted at most of my top choices.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:32 am

chocolatesugar wrote:Hey guys. Here's my story. I applied with a 163 LSAT and a 3.08 GPA

Thank you.

Here's the thing, it's way too early to be asking "what should I do?" You haven't heard back from almost any of your schools. Minnesota and W&L do not have stellar employment, there are at least half a dozen schools you haven't heard back from that are superior. Wait until you hear back from everyone, you'll probably get some money from some pretty alright schools.

chocolatesugar

Postby chocolatesugar » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:56 pm

Working on a LOCI for Minnesota. Is it too early?

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:57 pm

You really should retake. If you're "lucky" enough to be admitted off the waitlist, you'll be paying way too much money. A few points on a retake would save you a ton of money.

chocolatesugar

Postby chocolatesugar » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:42 am

I can't retake. I really can't.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:44 am

UMN is drawing a hard line at 165 this year. They'll dip to 164 later in the cycle if necessary. They almost certainly wont dip to 163

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:45 am

chocolatesugar wrote:I can't retake. I really can't.

I don't believe you

chocolatesugar

Postby chocolatesugar » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:46 am

rad lulz wrote:

I don't believe you

You butter believe it. :)

chocolatesugar

Postby chocolatesugar » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:47 am

Nova wrote:UMN is drawing a hard line at 165 this year. They'll dip to 164 later in the cycle if necessary. They almost certainly wont dip to 163

May I ask where you obtained this info from?

Thanks

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:51 am

rad lulz wrote:

I don't believe you

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:03 am

rad lulz wrote:

I don't believe you

chocolatesugar

Postby chocolatesugar » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:04 am

Mullens wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

I don't believe you

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:15 am

isuperserial wrote: Minnesota and W&L do not have stellar employment, there are at least half a dozen schools you haven't heard back from that are superior.

disagree. Only Cornell is on another level. http://abovethelaw.com/careers/law-school-rankings/

UMN places 2/3s of their class in real lawyer jobs just like WUSTL, Emory, Boston, and Fordham. Their biglaw/fed clerk placement is a few points lower but considering at this level you should assume you will not get biglaw, a few percentage points really isnt that significant.

W&L places 1/2 their class in real lawyer jobs

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:32 am

chocolatesugar wrote:
Nova wrote:UMN is drawing a hard line at 165 this year. They'll dip to 164 later in the cycle if necessary. They almost certainly wont dip to 163

Thanks

I gleaned the info from LSN and the applicants thread over the last few years. The school pretty much only cares about medians. 165+ or 3.8+ is pretty much auto admit or YP because those are the target medians. 164 is mixed and are likely being accepted as a cushion in case they cant pull off a 165 median. everyone with a 163 is WLed. Last year UMN fucked their medians up bad by shooting for 167, then 166, then 165. Their miscalculations resulted in a 164, most likely because they didn't accept 166s and 165s until too late.

They apparently learned from that and this year theyre going after 165 right away. apps aren't down much from last year so its really unlikely the median will fall to 163.

As for the other schools on your list,

generally, with a 3.0, youre chance at getting in anywhere with a 164+ median is slim
Last edited by Nova on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:59 am, edited 5 times in total.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:32 am

What are your goals? Where do you have ties?

chocolatesugar

Postby chocolatesugar » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:21 am

Nova wrote:
chocolatesugar wrote:

Thanks

I gleaned the info from LSN and the applicants thread over the last few years. The school pretty much only cares about medians. 165+ or 3.8+ is pretty much auto admit or YP because those are the target medians. 164 is mixed and are likely being accepted as a cushion in case they cant pull off a 165 median. everyone with a 163 is WLed. Last year UMN fucked their medians up bad by shooting for 167, then 166, then 165. Their miscalculations resulted in a 164, most likely because they didn't accept 166s and 165s until too late.

They apparently learned from that and this year theyre going after 165 right away. apps aren't down much from last year so its really unlikely the median will fall to 163.

As for the other schools on your list,

generally, with a 3.0, youre chance at getting in anywhere with a 164+ median is slim

So, where do you think I will get into?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:23 am

Your school list is a mish-mash of regional schools from literally every region of the United States. What's up? You realize most of these schools place the majority of grads in their geographic area, right?

You need to figure out where you want to work/where you have some connections and then target your school choice appropriately, not just blast out applications to places as diverse as Florida, Washington, Denver, Connecticut, Boston, Minnesota, and Miami.

klondike5

Postby klondike5 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:46 pm

Thank you.

I am following your cycle on LSN since we are in the same numbers neighborhood. I too was waitlisted at WUSTL which is a top choice for me. I am interested in hearing what people think about the length of time before putting a LOCI.

Spanish - I don't know what OP's specific reasoning is, but I have what appears to be a mish-mash as well. I have been all over the country for work and I don't have a particular geographic region in mind. Most graduates who do find jobs typically find them in the state that their LS is in, and this is what I am expecting. I wouldn't be applying to Wake if I only wanted to work in the NE and I wouldn't apply to BC if I only wanted to work in the South. I would be willing to attend and work long term in most of the places I applied. That being said, there are a few that have historically been generous with similar applicants that will hopefully give larger scholarships than other peer schools or schools in the same area. If it can get even a few thousand dollars off the COA its is well worth the $25 app fee.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:29 pm

Nova wrote:
isuperserial wrote: Minnesota and W&L do not have stellar employment, there are at least half a dozen schools you haven't heard back from that are superior.

disagree. Only Cornell is on another level. http://abovethelaw.com/careers/law-school-rankings/

UMN places 2/3s of their class in real lawyer jobs just like WUSTL, Emory, Boston, and Fordham. Their biglaw/fed clerk placement is a few points lower but considering at this level you should assume you will not get biglaw, a few percentage points really isnt that significant.

W&L places 1/2 their class in real lawyer jobs

I disagree with this post. Schools like Emory, BU, BC, Notre Dame, George Washington and Fordham place 25 or 30 percent of their students in Biglaw. There are plenty of schools ranked much lower than Minnesota that will give you a far better chance of working in Biglaw. UM's numbers are weak across the board, to be honest. And this is coming from somebody who was waitlisted at UM. I probably won't even send a letter of continued interest, honestly.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:54 pm

Idk what you mean by across the board. There's really only 2 main metrics. Lt ft jdr jobs & big law/fed clerkship placement.

Umn is basically equal to or better than every school ranked below it in ltftjdr jobs. If you think 5-10ish% better bl/fc placement at maybe 10 schools ranked lower is "plenty" of schools placing "far better", then fine.

If you're going to move somewhere you don't have ties for a 25% chance at bl/fc, you're doing it wrong
Last edited by Nova on Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:07 am

Nova wrote:Idk what you mean by across the board. There's really only 2 main metrics. Lt ft jdr jobs & big law/fed clerkship placement.

Umn is basically equal to or better than every school ranked below it in ltftjdr jobs. If you think 5-10ish% better bl/fc placement at maybe 10 schools ranked lower is "plenty" of schools placing "far better", then fine.

If you're going to move somewhere you have no ties for a 25% chance at bl/fc, then you're doing it wrong.

When did I ever say that you should move somewhere where you have no ties to have a chance at Biglaw?

It's pretty clear that the above mentioned schools have better employment numbers than Minnesota. Many schools ranked lower than UM will give you a decent shot at Biglaw. Sure, you will have to work hard for it, but Biglaw will be a viable possibility at schools like Notre Dame and Boston University. At UM, you will have to be at the VERY top of your class to even think about Biglaw.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”