help judge these softs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HeirCroc

help judge these softs

Postby HeirCroc » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:36 am

I know softs are of secondary importance (at best) and that their importance is contingent on the school, with some schools probably not caring at all. I was wondering, though, how would the following softs rank, generally?

Published legally-related essay in prestigious undergraduate university's undergraduate research digest

Interned for the summer at a local public defender's office

Participated in undergraduate research symposium

Worked in a psych research lab (position was considered a privilege, given by a prof)

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, it's my first thread and wasn't sure where to post

nothingtosee

Re: help judge these softs

Postby nothingtosee » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:24 am

I think they are better than no softs, but below average for top applicants. Youll be competing against people who have a top masters, or have worked for two years in a legal job, served in the military, etc. so if at your numbers 50% get in at a datapoint, I would say you don't make t. What undergrad? I think that's a bigger boost than the common wisdom here. Working for a year or two would definitely help in a big way.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:17 am

Mediocre/good enough. Not particularly unique

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:40 am

My guess is it's a wash. They won't help or hurt you. At the HYS level you're probably somewhat below average.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:18 am

HeirCroc wrote:Published legally-related essay in prestigious undergraduate university's undergraduate research digest Legally-related, so it was your "paper-in-law?" (cue rim shot). Anyway, this is probably your second-best soft on here, but is average

Interned for the summer at a local public defender's office Probably the best soft since it is work experience and schools seem to like work experience. But it was still only a summer. Do you want PI law? This will help a little bit in crafting that story when it comes time to look for 1L PI internships.

Participated in undergraduate research symposium What did you actually present? Were there awards given? Did you win anything? Did anything come of it? For all of these items, and anything you put on your resume, it's important to show results. Lots of people participate in things, work places, etc., but you distinguish yourself by spinning it in such a way that you show you were successful in the activity you chose to do.

Worked in a psych research lab (position was considered a privilege, given by a prof) They won't care if it was a "privilege" it will just look like you worked in a pscych research lab for a semester, so I would view it in that way

See my comments above. I would put these firmly in the average category, of course varying based on the rank and culture of the school. For instance it's probably "below average" at HYS just due to rank and overall quality of their applicant pool, and below average at Northwestern due to your lack of substantive work experience. It'll be perfectly fine for NYU, Columbia, Duke, UVA, etc.. It's not going to set you apart at these type of schools where your softs would be considered "average," but it won't hold you back either. A lot of it will depend on how well you sell it in your resume.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:40 am

HeirCroc wrote:I know softs are of secondary importance (at best) and that their importance is contingent on the school, with some schools probably not caring at all. I was wondering, though, how would the following softs rank, generally?

Published legally-related essay in prestigious undergraduate university's undergraduate research digest

Worked in a psych research lab (position was considered a privilege, given by a prof)

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, it's my first thread and wasn't sure where to post

did you only have one internship? what did you do with your other summers? What did you do during the school year? did you hold any leadership positions? To me, I'm seeing someone who did a psych research lab, symposium, and internship for three summers, and wrote an extra essay during the school year.

even at KJD level, you'll be compared to people who work full time, or part time, or had tons of leadership. the internship is nice, though, but it isn't enough to round out an application.

indo

Postby indo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:05 am

HeirCroc wrote:I know softs are of secondary importance (at best) and that their importance is contingent on the school, with some schools probably not caring at all. I was wondering, though, how would the following softs rank, generally?

They are softs for Cooley but average or below average for T14.

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:15 am

I can't speak to how competitive your softs are, but I do have a few suggestions:
1. I would include a few words on your resume re: the topic of your paper - e.g., the legal implications of x on y
2. Be sure to list a few of your responsibilities. Also, are you applying now? If not, I'd consider going back to the PD's office to show a continued commitment.
3. How difficult was it to be approved? Were you selected/did you have to be nominated? Was it only your undergrad, or was it a regional symposium?
4. Did you have to apply? Minimally, I would make it clear on the resume that this was a competitive position, for which you had to be selected.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:00 am

Wait - How prestigious was the undergrad university? Was it prestigious, or was it Prestigious or was it like realllllly PRESTIGIOUS?

Also, how much of a privilege did the professor consider working in the psych lab?

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:34 am

edit: sorry

I've had a really bad day
Last edited by alexrodriguez on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chneyo

Postby chneyo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:39 am

Last edited by chneyo on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:43 am

louierodriguez wrote:I'll let you compare your softs to mine.

I participated in the undergraduate research symposium too (but I have no intention on using this as a selling point)

I've had stuff published by and for the military. (but I have no intention on using this as a selling point)

I interned at the Orange County Supervisor of Elections office. (but I have no intention on using this as a selling point)

I taught English in China (but I have no intention on using this as a selling point)

and served in the US Navy. (I may mention this)

Wow, this is obnoxious.

HouseTargaryen

Postby HouseTargaryen » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:54 am

I participated in the undergraduate research symposium too (but I have no intention on using this as a selling point)

I've had stuff published by and for the military. (but I have no intention on using this as a selling point)

I interned at the Orange County Supervisor of Elections office. (but I have no intention on using this as a selling point)

I taught English in China (but I have no intention on using this as a selling point)

Total C=====3

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:47 am

louierodriguez wrote:

You're the most moto, pompous boot ever.

koalacity

Postby koalacity » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:05 pm

chneyo wrote:

And I'll let you compare your softs to mine.

I founded the Undergraduate Research Symposium (but I don't tell anyone because I'm so humble)

I was the editor-in-chief of Nature, Science, and Wikileaks (don't tell the NSA)

I interned for Putin (set up a new secret prison system, but whatevs... not gonna tell anyone)

I taught Chinese in China (doesn't every white boy speak Mandarin?)

AND I play Ghost Recon like a champ (and was in the military, too, but don't plan on using that as a selling point).

NOW WHO HAS THE BIGGER ego? :wink:

<3 chneyo

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:08 pm

Why would you list softs you have no intention of using? That's pretty useless information.

HeirCroc

Postby HeirCroc » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:07 pm

Thanks for the advice all. You had to be nominated for the symposium and it was held by the school for its students (so not regional etc). I'd categorize the undergrad as 'Prestigious', capital P, but not elite, I guess.

HeirCroc

Postby HeirCroc » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:11 pm

scoobers wrote:

did you only have one internship? what did you do with your other summers? What did you do during the school year? did you hold any leadership positions? To me, I'm seeing someone who did a psych research lab, symposium, and internship for three summers, and wrote an extra essay during the school year.

even at KJD level, you'll be compared to people who work full time, or part time, or had tons of leadership. the internship is nice, though, but it isn't enough to round out an application.

I took classes the other summers. I see what you're getting at, although being chosen for publication from a pool of hundreds of essays is a bit more than 'writing an extra essay during the school year'.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:39 am

HeirCroc wrote:
scoobers wrote:

I took classes the other summers. I see what you're getting at, although being chosen for publication from a pool of hundreds of essays is a bit more than 'writing an extra essay during the school year'.

of course! I'm not trying to knock that. I'm sure it was difficult. your personal statement will show your writing ability, however.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”