Character and fitness question? This might be stupid?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Progress01

Character and fitness question? This might be stupid?

Postby Progress01 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:53 pm

So, I do have a lovely character and fitness addendum :( a legitimate one I turned in with my applications describing what happened, the citation, etc etc.

HOWEVER..in one of my nightly paranoia sessions I was just realizing: years ago, when my truck was registered in my dad's name, I got pulled over for expired registration (I was a stupid teenager, and the registration wasn't in my name, and I had no idea). I paid the fee, and renewed it (and THEN registered it in my name, as well).
In my state, that's a "non-moving" violation, so it doesn't go against your driving record or anything.

I didn't put that on my C&F (because it wasn't a moving violation, like most of the applications asked, nor was it criminal, or civil, or anything else).
Should I have put it? Is a state bar going to get me one day because of this?

milkandcheerios

Re: Character and fitness question? This might be stupid?

Postby milkandcheerios » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:00 pm

You should always disclose is you are unsure about the instructions, but if they clearly excluded non moving violations and minor traffic tickets, you should be fine. Just be careful because C&F language will vary by schools. Off the top of my head, I know that CLS wants you to disclose traffic tickets.

Progress01

Postby Progress01 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:23 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:You should always disclose is you are unsure about the instructions, but if they clearly excluded non moving violations and minor traffic tickets, you should be fine. Just be careful because C&F language will vary by schools. Off the top of my head, I know that CLS wants you to disclose traffic tickets.

See, I read all of those, and I DON'T have any "traffic" violations--I've never had a speeding ticket, etc etc. just this non moving thing. I'm reading back over my apps and they say not to include minor traffic and/or parking tickets (depending on the school.)

Am I safe? Stupid? Or paranoid?

milkandcheerios

Postby milkandcheerios » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:45 pm

Progress01 wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:You should always disclose is you are unsure about the instructions, but if they clearly excluded non moving violations and minor traffic tickets, you should be fine. Just be careful because C&F language will vary by schools. Off the top of my head, I know that CLS wants you to disclose traffic tickets.

See, I read all of those, and I DON'T have any "traffic" violations--I've never had a speeding ticket, etc etc. just this non moving thing. I'm reading back over my apps and they say not to include minor traffic and/or parking tickets (depending on the school.)

Am I safe? Stupid? Or paranoid?

The thing with C&F questions is that most people on TLS know just as much/little as you do. Its pretty much the blind leading the blind, that's why the advice is always to err on the side of caution and disclose because there's no way something like this could hurt your app. I'm inclined to say that you're being paranoid but I can't be 100% sure.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:26 pm

AFAIK

non-moving violations ARE traffic violations

so I wouldn't disclose it if I were you.

(unless the school asks for traffic violations)

Progress01

Postby Progress01 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:16 am

Some schools did, others didn't. Some said don't include minor traffic offenses, some specified don't include parking offenses, even others were so broad as to only ask if you've been arrested, etc. I used the same statement for all of them. And the registration isn't on there--I didn't see it as a traffic violation, or something to include on a C&F flaw addendum. I hope I'm right, and they don't hate me or kick me out for it :cry:

brianbiship

Postby brianbiship » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:18 am

just write up a quick addendum and email them the update. That is what I am about to do

Progress01

Postby Progress01 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:39 am

brianbiship wrote:just write up a quick addendum and email them the update. That is what I am about to do

Sounds good. You don't think they'll rescind your offer of admissions?

ltrego

Postby ltrego » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:47 am

Progress01 wrote:
brianbiship wrote:just write up a quick addendum and email them the update. That is what I am about to do

I'm 90% sure they are not going to rescind for this. I'm not an expert, so I can't say 100%. But it seems it would be silly to rescind for this, given adcoms have been okay with worse.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:13 am

I'm in a similar boat, per a similar thread. Perhaps someone with more experience can chime in, but I would be FLABBERGASTED if a school would rescind admission over an expired tag that was in SOMEONE ELSE'S name. I'm no adcomm expert, but that just seems so unreasonable as to not be possible ...

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:39 am

Progress01 wrote:

Now you're being paranoid. Of course not. Just write up a quick (like, 2-3 sentence) explanation, and email it in saying you're not sure if it qualifies, but you want to be on the safe side. No one will care.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”