Honors Theses/ Minors

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Captainunaccountable

Honors Theses/ Minors

Postby Captainunaccountable » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:36 pm

What's TLS' take on Honors Theses & Minors. I personally have a minor and will be writing a thesis next year. I feel like my pre-law functions of high GPA high LSAT could be far easier if I dropped both. Are these necessary for TLS's (or even remotely helpful) or are they just pretentious? This probably goes back to the question of UG curriculum which many think is irrelevant, but Ive heard on Kaplan 180 they'll look and see if you've purposefully taken a bunch of intro's, etc. for grade inflation.

Thanks a bunch! (Please don't prejudicially write me off)

Kimikho

Re: Honors Theses/ Minors

Postby Kimikho » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:00 pm

Captainunaccountable wrote:What's TLS' take on Honors Theses & Minors. I personally have a minor and will be writing a thesis next year. I feel like my pre-law functions of high GPA high LSAT could be far easier if I dropped both. Are these necessary for TLS's (or even remotely helpful) or are they just pretentious? This probably goes back to the question of UG curriculum which many think is irrelevant, but Ive heard on Kaplan 180 they'll look and see if you've purposefully taken a bunch of intro's, etc. for grade inflation.

Thanks a bunch! (Please don't prejudicially write me off)

if you think your GPA will drop due to the minor or an honors thesis, don't do it. but thesis advisors can provide stellar LORs. outside of that, the only place it could matter (or the LOR could matter) is Yale/Stanford/Berkeley, which odds are are not on your radar.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:43 pm

My honors thesis came up in every interview I did with law schools and lead to in-depth conversations. So far I've been accepted everywhere I interviewed. I also received several LORs from people I worked with on my thesis. That being said, getting the higher GPA and LSAT trumps the thesis. Not all theses are created equal though, some are pretty easy to do and keep your GPA up. Mine was a little bit of a bitch due to some funky requirements, but I also dropped my 5th class for that semester.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:49 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:My honors thesis came up in every interview I did with law schools and lead to in-depth conversations. So far I've been accepted everywhere I interviewed. I also received several LORs from people I worked with on my thesis. That being said, getting the higher GPA and LSAT trumps the thesis. Not all theses are created equal though, some are pretty easy to do and keep your GPA up. Mine was a little bit of a bitch due to some funky requirements, but I also dropped my 5th class for that semester.

that is true. I wasn't expecting my thesis to come up and didn't have a concise way to explain it...and it isn't very concise :lol:

Captainunaccountable

Postby Captainunaccountable » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:02 am

Thanks guys. My problem would be that I'll still be working on it by the time my admissions cycles/interviews come around. So I won't be able to talk about it really. But I guess if this cycle doesn't work out, then it might help out for the next cycle after. I will have to figure out the requirements and intensity that needs to go into and go from there. I really don't care to produce one, but, why not?

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:05 am

Captainunaccountable wrote:Thanks guys. My problem would be that I'll still be working on it by the time my admissions cycles/interviews come around. So I won't be able to talk about it really. But I guess if this cycle doesn't work out, then it might help out for the next cycle after. I will have to figure out the requirements and intensity that needs to go into and go from there. I really don't care to produce one, but, why not?

I'm still working on mine.

Captainunaccountable

Postby Captainunaccountable » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:07 am

scoobers wrote:
Captainunaccountable wrote:Thanks guys. My problem would be that I'll still be working on it by the time my admissions cycles/interviews come around. So I won't be able to talk about it really. But I guess if this cycle doesn't work out, then it might help out for the next cycle after. I will have to figure out the requirements and intensity that needs to go into and go from there. I really don't care to produce one, but, why not?

Where on the apps did you produce that information?

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:08 am

Captainunaccountable wrote:
scoobers wrote:

Where on the apps did you produce that information?

for Harvard, they ask if you are working on any written work. It's also on my resume.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:22 am

scoobers wrote:for Harvard, they ask if you are working on any written work. It's also on my resume.

I'm out of school, but yeah, put dat thesis on your resume.

scoobers wrote:that is true. I wasn't expecting my thesis to come up and didn't have a concise way to explain it...and it isn't very concise :lol:

My "concise" explanation was just a nutshell version of the abstract I used at conferences, which means it probably sounded like crap. :lol:

Captainunaccountable

Postby Captainunaccountable » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:15 am

Thanks scoobers and nonconsecutive. Fyi: I really like Julie Andrews. One of my classic female heroes.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:29 am

Harvard's application has a question asking if you've done a major writing project like a thesis. It also comes up in interviews.

It's not a necessity though.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”