Spouses Getting Admitted to the Same School?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chappeg

Spouses Getting Admitted to the Same School?

Postby chappeg » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi All,

Longtime lurker here who finally decided to register. I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with my situation.

Background: Non-traditional student, 173 LSAT, 3.7 GPA. I have applied to all of the T14 schools, with confidence that I will get accepted into many or most of them. Obviously, I have my favorites, but I'm keeping an open mind until I receive the actual acceptance letters and find out my options.

My partner is still pursuing his undergrad degree in computer science (I'm returning to school after being in the working world for a few years). He wants to transfer to whatever school that I choose to attend for obvious reasons. The problem is that most or all of these schools are obviously pretty exclusive to get into. He has a strong GPA and good credentials, but obviously there is some concern that he might not get into the school that I eventually want to attend.

Does anyone know of or have experience with schools looking favorably upon admitting spouses of grad students? Are there any programs available, or is it just tough nuts if he doesn't get in?

I would appreciate any opinions/experiences with this. Thanks!

Clearly

Re: Spouses Getting Admitted to the Same School?

Postby Clearly » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:47 pm

It's pretty much tough luck from what I've seen.

IgosduIkana

Postby IgosduIkana » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:37 am

Probably not of any help but I remember this couple who both attended HBS from this CNBC doc:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/59462

Lightworks

Postby Lightworks » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:31 am

It won't hurt them at all. But no, they will get no boost whatsoever for this.

chappeg

Postby chappeg » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:42 am

Thanks guys. Not what I was hoping to hear, but pretty much what I was expecting.

notalobbyist

Postby notalobbyist » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:40 pm

He's applying to law school as well, or comp sci?

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:54 pm

if you mean he wants to transfer to the undergrad where you are in LS? If so, that will be difficult since many of the T14 accept few undergrad transfers in general. (The obvious exceptions are the publics.) Also note that undergrad transfers generally receive no merit money, so they'll expect him to be full pay.

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:02 pm

Don't limit your options to the same school. Many T-14 cities have multiple universities in the area. If you both apply broadly there will probably be a situation that could work our for you.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:10 pm

arklaw13 wrote:Don't limit your options to the same school. Many T-14 cities have multiple universities in the area. If you both apply broadly there will probably be a situation that could work our for you.

Yeah this. I'm in a somewhat similar situation. A fair few of the T14 have good universities around them, especially in the larger cities. So unless you have some very specific reason for being at the exact same school, I don't think transferring for geographic purposes will be much of an issue.

As mentioned above, you won't receive any real boost for the dual-applicant scenario.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:08 pm

I'm glad there is no boost here. The alternative would be shameful, imo.

Although I'd like to see Spivey and KB weight in on this question (someone posed it in the other thread).

PalmBay

Postby PalmBay » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:45 pm

If you have the numbers, you increase the chances.
If you don't have the numbers, then tough luck.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:52 pm

Most of the T14 aren't that good for CS anyway. Though Cornell, Stanford and Boalt are.

NYU, Columbia, UVA, NU, U of C, Duke are pretty shitty, so maybe he could squeak in on his own merits.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:58 pm

This was posted in a thread about both applicants applying to ls. Your situation is a bit different, obviously. He suggests calling the schools, some will care, some wont.

SPerez wrote:FWIW, I want married/engaged couples to tell me they're both applying. When I see that I try to get them decisions at the same time as a courtesy.

If you're still referring to each other as boyfriend/girlfriend then I wouldn't mention it.

Also, don't take relationship advice from TLS. You could marry an 8 who is your soulmate and their advice would be to retake because if you really try you could find a 10. :P

Dean Perez
Texas Tech University School of Law

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:06 pm

nothingtosee wrote:This was posted in a thread about both applicants applying to ls. Your situation is a bit different, obviously. He suggests calling the schools, some will care, some wont.

SPerez wrote:FWIW, I want married/engaged couples to tell me they're both applying. When I see that I try to get them decisions at the same time as a courtesy.

If you're still referring to each other as boyfriend/girlfriend then I wouldn't mention it.

Also, don't take relationship advice from TLS. You could marry an 8 who is your soulmate and their advice would be to retake because if you really try you could find a 10. :P

Dean Perez

Classic.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Most of the T14 aren't that good for CS anyway. Though Cornell, Stanford and Boalt are.

NYU, Columbia, UVA, NU, U of C, Duke are pretty shitty, so maybe he could squeak in on his own merits.

Departmental rankings aren't that important for undergrad. Maybe with the exception of Georgetown and NYU, your SO would do well in any of the T14 for CS UG.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:56 pm

Big Dog wrote:if you mean he wants to transfer to the undergrad where you are in LS? If so, that will be difficult since many of the T14 accept few undergrad transfers in general. (The obvious exceptions are the publics.) Also note that undergrad transfers generally receive no merit money, so they'll expect him to be full pay.

Do undergrads do much merit aid anyways? I've never heard of any substantial amount of merit aid.

koval

Postby koval » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:58 pm

nothingtosee wrote:This was posted in a thread about both applicants applying to ls. Your situation is a bit different, obviously. He suggests calling the schools, some will care, some wont.

Dean Perez

Quote of the day.

db1990

Postby db1990 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:09 am

Also, don't take relationship advice from TLS. You could marry an 8 who is your soulmate and their advice would be to retake because if you really try you could find a 10.

This is amazing.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:25 am

midwest17 wrote:Do undergrads do much merit aid anyways? I've never heard of any substantial amount of merit aid.

I think my UG had some pretty big merit scholarships, 3/4 tuition or more. It was a big state school though, fwiw.

ltrego

Postby ltrego » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:18 am

Nonconsecutive wrote:
midwest17 wrote:Do undergrads do much merit aid anyways? I've never heard of any substantial amount of merit aid.

I think my UG had some pretty big merit scholarships, 3/4 tuition or more. It was a big state school though, fwiw.

I have a 50% merit scholarship. I go to a regionally well-rated private college.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:57 pm

midwest17 wrote:
Big Dog wrote:if you mean he wants to transfer to the undergrad where you are in LS? If so, that will be difficult since many of the T14 accept few undergrad transfers in general. (The obvious exceptions are the publics.) Also note that undergrad transfers generally receive no merit money, so they'll expect him to be full pay.

Do undergrads do much merit aid anyways? I've never heard of any substantial amount of merit aid.

A lot of the top schools don't, but outside of that it's pretty common I think. Fwiw I had a full ride but I went to a public.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”