advice for a freshmen interested in law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ls1995

advice for a freshmen interested in law school

Postby ls1995 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:01 pm

I am in my second semester of my freshmen year of college. First semester I got a 4.0 GPA and hope to continue that this semester. Besides maintaining good grades, What can I do to benefit myself for the LSAT when I take it in a few years. I enjoy reading books, I subscribe to The Economist, and read other news sources online. I also play sudoku as I heard that helps with reasoning. What else can I do to help myself? I don't want to start studying for the test to early to avoid burn out and running out of test materials. However, are there any books worth reading on the methodology and theory behind the Logic games that I could develop an understanding of before I actually practice any games? Lastly, my university offers courses in both formal reasoning and an intro course to Logic and Reasoning, would these be worth taking? I appreciate and am open to any other suggestions. thanks.

Kimikho

Re: advice for a freshmen interested in law school

Postby Kimikho » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:08 pm

ls1995 wrote:I am in my second semester of my freshmen year of college. First semester I got a 4.0 GPA and hope to continue that this semester. Besides maintaining good grades, What can I do to benefit myself for the LSAT when I take it in a few years. I enjoy reading books, I subscribe to The Economist, and read other news sources online. I also play sudoku as I heard that helps with reasoning. What else can I do to help myself? I don't want to start studying for the test to early to avoid burn out and running out of test materials. However, are there any books worth reading on the methodology and theory behind the Logic games that I could develop an understanding of before I actually practice any games? Lastly, my university offers courses in both formal reasoning and an intro course to Logic and Reasoning, would these be worth taking? I appreciate and am open to any other suggestions. thanks.

don't study yet.

keep getting that 4.0, do fun things that you are interested in, cultivate relationships with professors, come back in 2 years.

redbull12

Postby redbull12 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:13 pm

major in a stem field and avoid law school unless you can attain a significant scholarship from the t-14 or your parents are independently wealthy and can fund your legal education along with giving you legal connections on the way if you do not get in the top 10% from a T1 school. good luck.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:35 pm

Chill out. Get good grades and think about this stuff junior year.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:03 am

Cicero76 wrote:Chill out. Get good grades and think about this stuff junior year.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:12 am

scoobers wrote:
ls1995 wrote:I am in my second semester of my freshmen year of college. First semester I got a 4.0 GPA and hope to continue that this semester. Besides maintaining good grades, What can I do to benefit myself for the LSAT when I take it in a few years. I enjoy reading books, I subscribe to The Economist, and read other news sources online. I also play sudoku as I heard that helps with reasoning. What else can I do to help myself? I don't want to start studying for the test to early to avoid burn out and running out of test materials. However, are there any books worth reading on the methodology and theory behind the Logic games that I could develop an understanding of before I actually practice any games? Lastly, my university offers courses in both formal reasoning and an intro course to Logic and Reasoning, would these be worth taking? I appreciate and am open to any other suggestions. thanks.

don't study yet.

keep getting that 4.0, do fun things that you are interested in, cultivate relationships with professors, come back in 2 years.

This, except dont come back for another 4 years at least. K-JD is not (ideally) the way to be.

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:28 pm

Keep that GPA at 4.0, or 3.95, or whatever is possible. Do not let it drop below that. I am tearing myself apart [Lisa] because I did not make smart choices my freshman year.

Try to get at least one or two cool summer internships in your major. Reach out to national organizations; for every local company/org. you submit a resume to, match it with a national/international one. The summer before my junior year I applied to 8 local news organizations and CNN. I did not receive a single response from any local group but got into CNN. Reach for the stars.

Don't really stress the logical reasoning/ logic games through classes. It kind of helps, but it would be smarter to wait and just use the Manhattan and Powerscore books.

For reading comp, just keep reading hard stuff like the Economist. That's the only kind of LSAT prep I'd start this early.

Most importantly, really get involved in your major (hoping your major isn't Legal Studies). Schools will really love it if you don't focus your entire undergrad on going to law school. For example, as a journalism major I edit for my school paper and occasionally do radio. They're very mild softs, but it shows interest outside of law.

Also, have fun. You have plenty of time, and you're par for the course. Get a 174 or above and maintain your GPA and you're basically a shoo-in for HYS.

ls1995

Postby ls1995 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:05 pm

I am double majoring in Finance and Economics. I understand this is not something I should be worried about now, but it helps me stay academically motivated. I applied to study this summer at the London School of Economics, and I have been in contact with a few investment banks regarding summer internships. It is pretty difficult to land investment banking internships as a freshmen, but I hope to be able to get one next summer. would taking the two reasoning courses be worth it?

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:06 pm

Stop going to class and focus all your energy on sudoku

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:21 pm

...is your username because you were born in 1995?

:shock:

drevo

Postby drevo » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:38 pm

scoobers wrote:cultivate relationships with professors

Aside from maintaining that GPA this is the only other thing I think you should worry about in regards to law school. You clearly are smart and good in the classroom which is awesome. But that may mean that you have no need to go to professors' office hours for help and thus you professors don't get to know you. That was a problem for me. I wasn't sold on law school for the first 2-3 years of college and since I never had an academic reason to go to office hours I ended up not getting to know most of my professors.

I was lucky enough to be close with one professor from freshman year. I then had to scramble to cultivate a decent relationship with another professor once my LSAT score was in and I realized law school was going to happen. I was very fortunate to be able to take a course from a previous professor of mine who is an awesome guy and thankfully I managed a LoR from him. Had he said no I honestly am not sure what I would've done because basically none of my other professors knew me.

Also, have fun. Keep the grades up but don't worry about law school too much right now. Freshman and Sophomore year can be a magical time if you really make the most of them.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:58 pm

drevo wrote:
scoobers wrote:cultivate relationships with professors

Aside from maintaining that GPA this is the only other thing I think you should worry about in regards to law school. You clearly are smart and good in the classroom which is awesome. But that may mean that you have no need to go to professors' office hours for help and thus you professors don't get to know you. That was a problem for me. I wasn't sold on law school for the first 2-3 years of college and since I never had an academic reason to go to office hours I ended up not getting to know most of my professors.

I was lucky enough to be close with one professor from freshman year. I then had to scramble to cultivate a decent relationship with another professor once my LSAT score was in and I realized law school was going to happen. I was very fortunate to be able to take a course from a previous professor of mine who is an awesome guy and thankfully I managed a LoR from him. Had he said no I honestly am not sure what I would've done because basically none of my other professors knew me.

Also, have fun. Keep the grades up but don't worry about law school too much right now. Freshman and Sophomore year can be a magical time if you really make the most of them.

This was also a problem for me.

Note that LSAC holds your LORs for a long period of time. People talk about how freshmen/sophomores (or, let's be honest, any undergrads) shouldn't be talking about law school, but this is one place you can actually do something. If you've taken a class and the professor is head over heals for you, and it isn't too ridiculous, I'd ask for an LOR now.* Or at least, if you don't upload it, ask for one now and ask if the prof can hold onto it.

*too ridiculous being: said professor teaches upper-level classes and asking for an LOR now would be like saying you aren't going to take those classes, or being a freshman. I think sophomore year is probably the earliest you could do this.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”