mention gun ownership

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LET'S GET IT

Re: mention gun ownership

Postby LET'S GET IT » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:16 pm

Long time gun owner here. I wouldn't go that route. Just because you have similar political views on one subject as one professor at a school doesn't seem like a good reason to write that in your essay. Especially a subject as controversial as gun control. If I wanted to go to a school and a well known professor at that school was a well known pro-choice advocate, I wouldn't include in my essay, even being in agreement. Keep in mind you will have what, 30 classes in law school and maybe one with that professor. Also everyone is right, he won't be the one reading the essay and most people in academia tend to be liberal.

If you have UC numbers, you are obviously a smart guy. I'm sure you can either A. think of something else to write about or B. find a way to incorporate the subject which is obviously important to you without coming across in a bad light.

Good luck!

squee116

Postby squee116 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:05 am

Unlike you, I didn't have a choice, as I was employed by a gun shop for 2 years and I was freaking out about how to turn it into a positive in case I had anti-gun-leaning admissions officers without leaving some taint of "red-neck" Asian with guns. In my hand-written note in my admission letter from IU Bloomington, the Assistant Dean of Admissions suggested I would contribute to "interesting" conversations on the 2nd Amendment, and even wrote out a laugh. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. Take my anecdotal evidence for what you will.

aviatrixsteff

Postby aviatrixsteff » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:25 pm

squee116 wrote:Unlike you, I didn't have a choice, as I was employed by a gun shop for 2 years and I was freaking out about how to turn it into a positive in case I had anti-gun-leaning admissions officers without leaving some taint of "red-neck" Asian with guns. In my hand-written note in my admission letter from IU Bloomington, the Assistant Dean of Admissions suggested I would contribute to "interesting" conversations on the 2nd Amendment, and even wrote out a laugh. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. Take my anecdotal evidence for what you will.

Red-neck Asian with guns.
My whole day is made.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:32 pm

squee116 wrote:Unlike you, I didn't have a choice, as I was employed by a gun shop for 2 years and I was freaking out about how to turn it into a positive in case I had anti-gun-leaning admissions officers without leaving some taint of "red-neck" Asian with guns. In my hand-written note in my admission letter from IU Bloomington, the Assistant Dean of Admissions suggested I would contribute to "interesting" conversations on the 2nd Amendment, and even wrote out a laugh. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. Take my anecdotal evidence for what you will.

Good to know that open debate is still encouraged in some places :)

As for OP's question, I wouldn't put that in your "Why X" statement. It sounds trivial and petty. "You happen to have a professor who agrees with me on a political point" isn't really a crucial, or even a useful selling point. As one-sided most law schools are when it comes to politics, there is always at least a few who have contrary views. So saying that there is a professor who agrees on a political point really isn't saying anything at all. And you tipped that it is Posner. Tons of students come to Chicago since they want to study with him, so it becomes even more trivial.
Last edited by kaiser on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:35 pm

rutgers17

Postby rutgers17 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:23 pm

am I the only one thinking that if OP's biggest reason for attending this school is that there is a gun advocate professor then this is going to be a very weak Why Chicago?

EDIT: this isn't to offend you, OP. I just think focusing on some more tangible factors would be much more beneficial to you.

phireblast

Postby phireblast » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:43 pm

Your 2nd amendment shouldn't be a negative.
If it is, then you don't want to be going to that school anyways.

But I agree with the notion that you could write about something more meaningful or impactful. You could throw a one-liner about why you want to attend that school because of the respect you have for a certain professor and mention responsible gun ownership, but definitely don't write the whole thing about it.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:43 pm

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:45 pm

I KNOW MAH RIGHTS

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:47 pm

How many Why Chicago statements mention Posner for his views on whatever subject? A poll on this question would be fun. My guess is a third to a half?

Find something better OP.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:49 pm

Flips88 wrote:Oh you want to go to UChicago because Richard Posner teaches there? Surely, you will be the first.

Should have known I wasn't the first to point this out. Lol.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:55 pm

i'm really excited to graduate in a few months so i can stop being constantly berated about gun control by all my professors. i mean every class, every lesson has to have some connection to gun control. i'm told this is how it is at every law school except chicago.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:08 pm

patogordo wrote:i'm really excited to graduate in a few months so i can stop being constantly berated about gun control by all my professors. i mean every class, every lesson has to have some connection to gun control. i'm told this is how it is at every law school except chicago.

:lol: :lol:

leib10

Postby leib10 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:59 pm

Curious about this... I am a Master's student in a research program and I know that academia (at least in this setting) is overwhelmingly liberal. Is it pretty much the same way for the law school faculty, or is it more balanced? What about the students?

nabadgelyo

Postby nabadgelyo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:04 pm

leib10 wrote:Curious about this... I am a Master's student in a research program and I know that academia (at least in this setting) is overwhelmingly liberal. Is it pretty much the same way for the law school faculty, or is it more balanced? What about the students?

It depends on the law schools. At the most elite schools, students tend to be center-left. On the flip side, conservatives tend to fare very well at these schools, because there are so few of them and so many conservatives in the judiciary/firm hiring world.

AndDontCallMeShirley

Postby AndDontCallMeShirley » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:05 am

patogordo wrote:you should find a way to tie in the "war on christmas" somehow

LMAO

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:58 pm

1. Political Issues Make Bad Law School Essays

You are trying to enter a field where very smart people take 30-40 pages to make substantive contributions to debates about issues. Unless you're a super-special snowflake (Hint: you're not), nothing you say in 1-2 pages will come across as interesting rather than simplistic and naive. The exceptions to this rule are when you can make it genuinely personal or directly relate it to career goals that you've demonstrated commitment to.

2. Political Issues Make Even Worse "Why X" Essays

Unless you're the kind of person who can't tolerate being around people who disagree with you, or you're the kind of person who's going to be obnoxiously in peoples' faces about political issues, you'll fit in fine at every school. And if either of those things apply to you, no school is going to want you, even if they're ostensibly closer to your politics.

3. This Is A Bad Why Chicago Essay Topic

Richard Posner is a prolific writer whose views don't typically fall directly into line with traditional political divisions. I'd want to be damn sure that I understood the nuances of his position before I made claims about it in an essay that his colleagues were going to read, and it doesn't sound like you've read enough to do that. Further, looking over class records, Posner seems to teach three basic courses: literature and the law, judicial behavior, and the Roberts Court. The last one is the only one that might touch on gun issues, but it's also the one that you'll get the least Posner in: the course is taught by Epstein and Liptak, with Posner and Landes "also participating." And it covers a wide range of material, so even if it does touch on gun issues, it's only going to be briefly. In other words, going to Chicago doesn't make it likely that you'll be able to learn about guns from Posner.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”