mention gun ownership

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BillsFan9907

mention gun ownership

Postby BillsFan9907 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:31 am

At one of my top picks, there is a professor who is a leader for the "pro-gun" school of thought. As a responsible gun owner, this is an important issue to me. The professor is a considerable reason for my applying to the school. Gun ownership is, however, controversial. Should I skip this issue in my Why X?

Captainunaccountable

Re: mention gun ownership

Postby Captainunaccountable » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:55 am

Why don't you just join the NRA and write about something more practical.

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:57 am

Captainunaccountable wrote:Why don't you just join the NRA and write about something more practical.

I lol'd

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:06 pm

Captainunaccountable wrote:Why don't you just join the NRA and write about something more practical.

Why would you waste my time and yours with that completely unhelpful post?

guano

Postby guano » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:09 pm

Seoulless wrote:

because it's funny?

Saying you're a gun owner isn't doing much. Saying you are familiar with that professor's work, respect that professor, and want the opportunity to learn from him is a different matter

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:12 pm

guano wrote:
Seoulless wrote:

because it's funny?

Saying you're a gun owner isn't doing much. Saying you are familiar with that professor's work, respect that professor, and want the opportunity to learn from him is a different matter

I don't think you (or he) get my point, which is if saying you own a gun is or fall into the pro-gun camp is taboo.

There are clearly professors out there who believe that owning a gun is tantamount to collecting the ears of Vietnamese children.

guano

Postby guano » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:15 pm

Seoulless wrote:
guano wrote:
Seoulless wrote:

because it's funny?

I don't think you (or he) get my point, which is if saying you own a gun is or fall into the pro-gun camp is taboo.

There are clearly professors out there who believe that owning a gun is tantamount to collecting the ears of Vietnamese children.

I get your point, but I don't think you get mine.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:16 pm

Does the professor head up some kind of "firearms policy" program at the school? I'm having a hard time seeing how the presence of one particular professor at a school is going to make enough of a difference in your education for it to be "a considerable reason" for applying there.

I mentioned recreational and competitive shooting under the "interests" part of my resume, but I wouldn't waste space on it in a PS or 'Why X'.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:22 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:Does the professor head up some kind of "firearms policy" program at the school? I'm having a hard time seeing how the presence of one particular professor at a school is going to make enough of a difference in your education for it to be "a considerable reason" for applying there.

I mentioned recreational and competitive shooting under the "interests" part of my resume, but I wouldn't waste space on it in a PS or 'Why X'.

I might as well say who it is. It's Judge Richard Posner, who wrote the majority decision effectively rendering Illinois a Shall-Issue state.

It's part of a greater point about the law school's being a good place for those like me who hold arguably controversial views.

guano

Postby guano » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:24 pm

Seoulless wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:Does the professor head up some kind of "firearms policy" program at the school? I'm having a hard time seeing how the presence of one particular professor at a school is going to make enough of a difference in your education for it to be "a considerable reason" for applying there.

I might as well say who it is. It's Judge Richard Posner, who wrote the majority decision effectively rendering Illinois a Shall-Issue state.

It's part of a greater point about the law school's being a good place for those like me who hold arguably controversial views.

Mentioning that you really want to learn from Judge Posner, and giving reasons why, is a perfectly fine "why Chicago"

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:29 pm

Mentioning gun ownership can only hurt you in my opinion. I can't envision a scenario under which your admission would be aided by mentioning it.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:30 pm

Teoeo wrote:Mentioning gun ownership can only hurt you in my opinion. I can't envision a scenario under which your admission would be aided by mentioning it.

Thanks man, for the clear answer. What about leaving that detail out, and instead going for the softer approach of using the judge's decision in a point about respecting diverse views?

guano

Postby guano » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:37 pm

Seoulless wrote:
Teoeo wrote:Mentioning gun ownership can only hurt you in my opinion. I can't envision a scenario under which your admission would be aided by mentioning it.

Thanks man, for the clear answer. What about leaving that detail out, and instead going for the softer approach of using the judge's decision in a point about respecting diverse views?

guano wrote:I get your point, but I don't think you get mine.

Postby 2807 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:40 pm

Maybe craft the PS around your experience and/or interest in The Bill of Rights and Federal/State law issues.
You can mention the 2A and how current cases addressed this never-ending tension between the Fed and the State.

If you structure the essay as a "state's rights" proponent you can make your PS more about your view of law and less about guns.
Address the guidance of the Constitution, and the brilliance of the founders to leave the rest to the people (aka..the States).

But really it's about guns.

Good for you.
http://www.nraila.org will give you some helpful info.

However, you are entering law schools where 95% ,if not more, of all the admin are die-hard liberals, anti-gun, and anti State's Rights.
Be aware of that. Play nicely.
There is a reason they stay in the safety of academia.
Don't expose it, they get snappy.

chneyo

Postby chneyo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:43 pm

Last edited by chneyo on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:52 pm

you should find a way to tie in the "war on christmas" somehow

ltrego

Postby ltrego » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:56 pm

Seoulless wrote:

Good plan.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:01 pm

just remember that Posner is probably the most well-known UChi professor so you're going to want to stand out from the crowd and show that you really know what you're talking about. so either go broad and discuss a lot of Posner's ideas, or go in depth with the gun control issue and respond to Posner's ideas on the subject. for instance:

Richard Posner wrote:There are two important lessons that can be drawn from Becker’s discussion of gun control. The first is that a problem that is not dealt with in its early stages may become insoluble. It is not only the sheer infeasibility of removing 200 million guns from the American population, but also the emergence of a gun culture, that has ended hopes of disarming the population. The more people who own guns, the more other people will want to own them as well for self-defense; and the further ownership spreads, the more normal it seems. The ownership of guns has always been common in rural areas (the lower population density of the United States compared to Western Europe is an important reason why private ownership of guns is so much greater here), where there are hunting opportunities and police are spread thin. But now it is common in the rough areas of cities as well. Drug dealers cannot rely on police to enforce their deals and therefore have to arm themselves, and their law-abiding neighbors decide they had better be armed as well. (The news media create an exaggerated fear of violent crime, and this also contributes to the demand for guns by law-abiding people.) If population density continues to grow and the drug trade were legalized, gun ownership might begin to fall.

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:55 am

Last edited by Black Hat on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:12 am

Oh you want to go to UChicago because Richard Posner teaches there? Surely, you will be the first.

daryldixon

Postby daryldixon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:53 am

I think the credited response here is to mention you own a gun and then mention your penis size (length and width). Then the ball is really in their court.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:07 am

daryldixon wrote:I think the credited response here is to mention you own a gun and then mention your penis size (length and width). Then the ball is really in their court.

That would be redundant. I sent a picture of my penis in to verify my being a URM.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:09 am

guano wrote:
Seoulless wrote:

Perfect post is perfect.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:20 am

I think you should mention gun ownership, so get rejected. Would be a good introduction to law school for you.

More seriously, do not mention gun ownership in the PS. Don't get political in the PS. Join the federalist society or something when you get admitted. You are entitled to your diverse views, but adcoms are also entitled to reject you for them.

Decimus

Postby Decimus » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:20 am

guano wrote:
Seoulless wrote:

I just knew there would be a gem in this thread. Fantastic.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”