Wait a cycle to apply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sblock60

Wait a cycle to apply?

Postby sblock60 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:18 am

So my dream has been to go to Penn or NYU, but I got a 165 on my LSAT. I signed up for the February LSAT to use incase schools hadn't denied me yet, but I got my first rejection yesterday from UCLA and realized there is a good change I will probably be rejected before my February score. So my dilemma is do I take a year off (something I never considered before) and not take the Feb. LSAT, study more for the June, take the June and reapply? Or do I take the Feb. see what happens worst case scenario take the June and apply next cycle (does it look bad to take it three times?) or just take the Feb. LSAT and go to the best school I get into (GW so far). Also, what is something that is good to do for a gap year? I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm just so confused and input really helps!

jk148706

Re: Wait a cycle to apply?

Postby jk148706 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:40 am

sblock60 wrote:So my dream has been to go to Penn or NYU, but I got a 165 on my LSAT. I signed up for the February LSAT to use incase schools hadn't denied me yet, but I got my first rejection yesterday from UCLA and realized there is a good change I will probably be rejected before my February score. So my dilemma is do I take a year off (something I never considered before) and not take the Feb. LSAT, study more for the June, take the June and reapply? Or do I take the Feb. see what happens worst case scenario take the June and apply next cycle (does it look bad to take it three times?) or just take the Feb. LSAT and go to the best school I get into (GW so far). Also, what is something that is good to do for a gap year? I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm just so confused and input really helps!

Take the year off, study, kill the lsat, get $$ at Penn, profit.

I had a terrible lsat score last cycle and knew nothing about law school. After doing some research I took the year off, retook the lsat and did much better. It was a great decision. And an easy, flexible job is substitute teaching, if you don't want a "career" job right now

sblock60

Postby sblock60 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:50 am

So would you not take the February and just the June? And any advice on how to improve a lot I was doing practices tests and the bibles but I'm afraid they aren't enough.

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:59 am

sblock60 wrote:So my dream has been to go to Penn or NYU, but I got a 165 on my LSAT. I signed up for the February LSAT to use incase schools hadn't denied me yet, but I got my first rejection yesterday from UCLA and realized there is a good change I will probably be rejected before my February score. So my dilemma is do I take a year off (something I never considered before) and not take the Feb. LSAT, study more for the June, take the June and reapply? Or do I take the Feb. see what happens worst case scenario take the June and apply next cycle (does it look bad to take it three times?) or just take the Feb. LSAT and go to the best school I get into (GW so far). Also, what is something that is good to do for a gap year? I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm just so confused and input really helps!

What's your GPA?

sblock60

Postby sblock60 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:05 pm

I have two majors and a masters and my GPA (without my masters since they don't count it - it would be higher with it) is a 3.66

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:46 am

Unless you're scoring solidly in the 170s on PTs you're doing now, take a year off since you won't have enough time to study for the February test to make it worth taking. Taking the LSAT three times is not going to hurt you, but you'd be wasting $160 and your time to take Feb. Study your ass off, kill the June LSAT spend the rest of the summer putting together the best app you can and apply the day they open.

As for studying, there's a whole forum devoted to studying for the LSAT full of helpful people and guides. Start there.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:36 am

Is it bad to apply , get rejected, and try again?

jrd93

Postby jrd93 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:11 am

Last edited by jrd93 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

sblock60

Postby sblock60 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:21 am

So with a 3.66 GPA and if I can get in the 170's on the June LSAT and apply the day the applications come out, do I have a chance of NYU or Penn next year? Thank you all again for your help!

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:40 am

sblock60 wrote:So with a 3.66 GPA and if I can get in the 170's on the June LSAT and apply the day the applications come out, do I have a chance of NYU or Penn next year? Thank you all again for your help!

You will have a significantly better chance than you do now with a 165. Crush the LSAT, get good work experience, pass go, collect $$ at Penn/NYU! I was reluctant to take a gap year but I figured it out and am reaping the rewards!

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:46 am

JustHawkin wrote:
sblock60 wrote:So with a 3.66 GPA and if I can get in the 170's on the June LSAT and apply the day the applications come out, do I have a chance of NYU or Penn next year? Thank you all again for your help!

You will have a significantly better chance than you do now with a 165. Crush the LSAT, get good work experience, pass go, collect $$ at Penn/NYU! I was reluctant to take a gap year but I figured it out and am reaping the rewards!

Can you sure a bit of your experience with us? What was your original score? What did you do wrong during your studies the first time around? How did you change this?

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:11 pm

Seoulless wrote:
Can you sure a bit of your experience with us? What was your original score? What did you do wrong during your studies the first time around? How did you change this?

Sure!
First time around, Oct 12, scored in the mid 150s. I was completely unaware of TLS. Although, I did "study" for about 3 months and I used the Kaplan and Princeton Review Books, and about 10 PTs. After the test someone, albeit passive aggressively, pointed out TLS to me. At that point I didn't have the time or the resources to retake Dec or Feb, or even June for that matter, so I let my cycle play out. I ended up getting a lot of T2 waitlists and no offers I really wanted to jump for, so I withdrew.
As far as the gap year goes I was pretty lucky to find a job where they know I would only be around for a year and going to law school is my goal, so they support my "habbit". :D
I suggest keeping a job search completely separate from your law school goals as that is how I got the majority of my interviews, but I ended up taking the job where I knew I didn't have to walk on eggshells. I consider that a luxury.
In May I started prepping for the Oct 13 test with the MLSAT bundle, I also bought the Powerscore Bibles and PTs 40-69 from a friend. If I could do it all over again, I would have started the Bibles before the MLSAT (similar to doing boot-camp before you go to Ranger School). I ended up not really going through the bibles before Oct. and mainly cranked out MLSAT mixed in with PTs. Upon taking Oct test I ran into a few issues: 1) I didn't bring a watch and there was no visible clock, I was mentally freaking out the whole time; 2) although I crushed LG, my LR was very shaky and I never had that sense of mastery that the top takers feel. I ended up only improving 5 points and knew I had to retake Dec.
Upon further review of TLS there were a couple things I realized were necessary: 1) a 180watch (not the LSATTimer) gave me peace of mind. I never ended up really referencing it during the test until after I finished my sections, but it was necessary insurance for me; 2) The Cambridge LR bundles. I went through those intensively while supplementing with the LR Bible and felt SOOOOO much more confident on test day with LR; 3) A healthy lifestyle and focus. For Oct I was spending 8 to 12 hours at the library and I just turned into a hobbit for this test. For December I made sure I ate right, worked out regularly, and I hit the books hard with a purpose for a max of 3 or 4 hours at a time. I felt that focus I acquired for Dec was a real X-factor come test time and I went in there with a "wham, bam, thank you mam" attitude that I think paid off.

Apologies for the Saturday morning rant. Although I may be a lowly 169er to most of the 170+ people out here, I feel I really reached my ceiling and can say I left no stone unturned on test day. Hope this helps!

sblock60

Postby sblock60 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:16 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
Seoulless wrote:

Sure!
First time around, Oct 12, scored in the mid 150s. I was completely unaware of TLS. Although, I did "study" for about 3 months and I used the Kaplan and Princeton Review Books, and about 10 PTs. After the test someone, albeit passive aggressively, pointed out TLS to me. At that point I didn't have the time or the resources to retake Dec or Feb, or even June for that matter, so I let my cycle play out. I ended up getting a lot of T2 waitlists and no offers I really wanted to jump for, so I withdrew.
As far as the gap year goes I was pretty lucky to find a job where they know I would only be around for a year and going to law school is my goal, so they support my "habbit". :D
I suggest keeping a job search completely separate from your law school goals as that is how I got the majority of my interviews, but I ended up taking the job where I knew I didn't have to walk on eggshells. I consider that a luxury.
In May I started prepping for the Oct 13 test with the MLSAT bundle, I also bought the Powerscore Bibles and PTs 40-69 from a friend. If I could do it all over again, I would have started the Bibles before the MLSAT (similar to doing boot-camp before you go to Ranger School). I ended up not really going through the bibles before Oct. and mainly cranked out MLSAT mixed in with PTs. Upon taking Oct test I ran into a few issues: 1) I didn't bring a watch and there was no visible clock, I was mentally freaking out the whole time; 2) although I crushed LG, my LR was very shaky and I never had that sense of mastery that the top takers feel. I ended up only improving 5 points and knew I had to retake Dec.
Upon further review of TLS there were a couple things I realized were necessary: 1) a 180watch (not the LSATTimer) gave me peace of mind. I never ended up really referencing it during the test until after I finished my sections, but it was necessary insurance for me; 2) The Cambridge LR bundles. I went through those intensively while supplementing with the LR Bible and felt SOOOOO much more confident on test day with LR; 3) A healthy lifestyle and focus. For Oct I was spending 8 to 12 hours at the library and I just turned into a hobbit for this test. For December I made sure I ate right, worked out regularly, and I hit the books hard with a purpose for a max of 3 or 4 hours at a time. I felt that focus I acquired for Dec was a real X-factor come test time and I went in there with a "wham, bam, thank you mam" attitude that I think paid off.

Apologies for the Saturday morning rant. Although I may be a lowly 169er to most of the 170+ people out here, I feel I really reached my ceiling and can say I left no stone unturned on test day. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for that!!!! My only question about the getting a job to add to your application is that I would be applying September and probably would just be starting a job after I submitted my applications since I would spend the whole summer studying. So basically the only change to my application would be I finished my masters (finishing it this spring) and hopefully a higher LSAT score. Is that going to hurt me?

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:52 pm

sblock60 wrote:
Thank you so much for that!!!! My only question about the getting a job to add to your application is that I would be applying September and probably would just be starting a job after I submitted my applications since I would spend the whole summer studying. So basically the only change to my application would be I finished my masters (finishing it this spring) and hopefully a higher LSAT score. Is that going to hurt me?

Obviously it depends on your situation, but I personally didn't wait to find a job. I got one right out of school and once I adjusted to the routine of gym->work->study->sleep it was very do-able to get done what I needed to get done. But in my case I didn't have a choice, I was not in a financial decision where I could take the time off. So if you can do that, then more power to you!

But I digress, LSAT score is king. If you can make that the best you believe you can do, and then find a job, it really won't make a difference. Once your cycle gets rolling and you land some awesome mind-blowing job then I would maybe consider sending schools an email updating them with the good news, maybe an updated resume. If not, I would save that information for a LOCI at schools you may or may not be wait-listed, or even for interviews at schools that do interview.

On a side now, if you take the option of strictly studying of the summer, I would consider volunteering for some kind of organization in your community (church, youth sports teams, Big Brother, etc). If you find something that interests you and you enjoy spending a few hours every week doing that, it will, most importantly, relieve some stress and also look good for your resume. Surf on some state and local government agencies' websites. Many have student/graduate intern programs where you can spend one or 2 days a week volunteering and seeing what its like. This can also help you find a job come September.

Just some ideas!

koval

Postby koval » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:20 pm

I agree with JustHawkin, you should find some sort of work and apply next cycle. The February LSAT is just a couple weeks away, that's a tight timeframe. Unless you're scoring, minimum, in the low 170's (to account for a normal drop of a couple points on the actual test) you're wasting one of your 3 takes which you might regret if you take in June and decide you want to go for one more shot at it in October. Plus while early to mid January isn't considered late in the cycle anymore by many, February is definitely late in the cycle.

sblock60

Postby sblock60 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:11 pm

Thank you all so much for your help you have really made me feel a lot better about taking the year off and I feel a lot more prepared on what steps I will be taking. I appreciate everyones input!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”