Reverse Splitter Why X Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BillsFan9907

Reverse Splitter Why X Question

Postby BillsFan9907 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:46 pm

169, 3.74 GPA.

Which of the T14 is it worth writing a why X for? I'm not applying to Harvard, Yale and probably not Columbia. I'm really interested in Stanford, which has a lower median LSAT. Also interested in U Penn and Chicago.

I'm assuming that a Why X has got to be helpful in putting one 169 over the other?
Last edited by BillsFan9907 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

papercut

Re: Reverse Splitter Why X Question

Postby papercut » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:40 am

How many schools are you applying to? If you're applying to a small number of schools, and a school offers the option of a "Why X Essay," I would write one.

How many times did you take the LSAT? With that GPA I would definitely retake. In the mid 170s you'd be at HYS almost certainly.

xmbeckham

Postby xmbeckham » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:42 am

No why essay for Stanford.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:25 am

papercut wrote:How many schools are you applying to? If you're applying to a small number of schools, and a school offers the option of a "Why X Essay," I would write one.

How many times did you take the LSAT? With that GPA I would definitely retake. In the mid 170s you'd be at HYS almost certainly.

Took twice. Gonna retake in June although will still give this cycle a shot for Stanford , Chicago, Penn and Columbia.

I will apply to the lower t14 as well, but I honestly dont see myself justifying paying sticker for Cornell.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:26 am

xmbeckham wrote:No why essay for Stanford.

Really? Why not?

Noodlebrain

Postby Noodlebrain » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:42 am

Seoulless wrote:

Really? Why not?

I think the usual answer is 'because it's Stanford and they know why you want to go there.' The same seems to hold for HLS and YLS.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:07 am

Noodlebrain wrote:
Seoulless wrote:

Really? Why not?

I think the usual answer is 'because it's Stanford and they know why you want to go there.' The same seems to hold for HLS and YLS.

That makes sense. So a diversity statement for Stanford? I guess my fundamental question is this: you've got two splitters. Why one instead of the other? I'm assuming the order would be 1) Resume ("softs" etc), 2) Personal Statement 3) Recommendations and 4) A diversity statement?

Clearly, some or all of the above has got to matter. I don't think splitters are picked out of a hat.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:28 pm

Seoulless wrote:
Noodlebrain wrote:
Seoulless wrote:

Really? Why not?

That makes sense. So a diversity statement for Stanford? I guess my fundamental question is this: you've got two splitters. Why one instead of the other? I'm assuming the order would be 1) Resume ("softs" etc), 2) Personal Statement 3) Recommendations and 4) A diversity statement?

Clearly, some or all of the above has got to matter. I don't think splitters are picked out of a hat.

from what I've heard, it is 1.) Recommendations and that's it, the other three are tied. I would have phenomenal recommendations first.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”