TFA and GW Law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
max_p

New

TFA and GW Law

Post by max_p » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:13 pm

I received my acceptance email to GWU today, however I just accepted my offer with Teach for America a couple days ago. TFA is what I really want do (I need a break from school and would like to earn a little money). GWU is willing to grant me a two year deferral, but all deferrals are binding. I have a 3.69 and a 162 and also got into American and waitlisted at GULC. What should I do? I would love to have the guaranteed option of going to law school after TFA, but I'm not sure I'm willing to commit to GW.

krnpridejk

New

Re: TFA and GW Law

Post by krnpridejk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:24 pm

Congrats on your acceptance to GWU and TFA!
When do you need send in the binding contract or w/e for GWU-deferral? It's still really early on in the cycle, so I would suggest waiting a little bit more on GULC wait-list if time allows...if not, I guess it all depends on what you want to do after law school. If Big Law is what you are aiming for, I would say don't defer at GWU and just try studying some more little by little throughout the two years you will be working for TFA and retake for a higher score. Good Luck!

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:25 pm

Why not withdraw, do TFA while studying for the LSAT, destroy the retake, and go to a t14 with $?

max_p

New

Post by max_p » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:27 pm

Deferrals are given on a case-by-case basis, so I was told to submit my request as soon as possible before more seats are filled. I have no desire for big law. I would like to work in public service, which is part of the reason why I'm leaning toward TFA. And I've only taken the LSAT once....

max_p

New

Post by max_p » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:28 pm

I'm also currently finishing my senior year and have been steadily raising my GPA over the year. It would just be nice to not have to apply again, or take the lsat again

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:30 pm

max_p wrote:I'm also currently finishing my senior year and have been steadily raising my GPA over the year. It would just be nice to not have to apply again, or take the lsat again
Wouldn't it be even nicer to not have any debt at a strong regional/T-14? Retake.

xRON MEXiCOx

Diamond

Post by xRON MEXiCOx » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:30 pm

Isn't GWU like super fucking expensive? Did you get a scholly?

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:33 pm

Cm here. Withdraw. Study during summer after first year (you won't have time to study AT ALL during the year). Take October. Boom.

max_p

New

Post by max_p » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:33 pm

Scholarships come out in feb, but I don't think I will get much, if any

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JDeezy

Bronze

Post by JDeezy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:34 pm

Applying again will take, what, four hours? I don't see any reason to think you won't get into GWU again in two years.

The correct answer is 100% retake the LSAT. You have two years so its not like you have to change your life to cram. Just study while you can and plan to take it in a year or so. That gives you another year in case the retake doesn't go great.

Even if you don't retake because it would be "nice not to," you'll be in the same position you are right now. GWU's not going anywhere.

Congrats on the TFA acceptance, and the fact that you are doing what you want to do after college. Enjoy.

GWU needs you more than you need them.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:42 pm

Definitely retake. TFA is a good soft and should help you get into some good schools down the line. Attending GWU and not retaking would be settling.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:47 pm

Under no circumstances should you take this offer. GW will take you again in two years without deferring, so you might as well retake the LSAT and use your new soft for scholarship money/better school.

twobitrye

New

Post by twobitrye » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:49 pm

max_p wrote: TFA is what I really want do (I need a break from school and would like to earn a little money).
I hate to be that guy, but please make sure that TFA is really really what you want to do before you get deeper into it. I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it, but as a second year CM who has had a rough go at it, I feel obligated to say something. I was in a similar position to you (wanted a break from school, wanted to earn some money, and eventually want to work in public service law), and I chose the TFA route. I wish I had explored other options that would have provided me the same benefits as TFA without the insanely challenging and draining experience.

If you feel TFA is the right option and you're passionate about education, go for it.

One more thing to keep in mind. It's not a guarantee that you'll have summers off. Many CMs in my region work in year round schools with only two week breaks. While this doesn't seem to be the norm across the country, it's not a given that you'll have summers off to study for the LSAT for a retake.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AJB

New

Post by AJB » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:57 pm

GW has a 95% employment rate, better than GULC. I don't think it's necessary to retake for a T-14 depending on what you want to do/where you want to work.

riverwater

Bronze

Post by riverwater » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:00 pm

Last edited by riverwater on Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:00 pm

AJB wrote:GW has a 95% employment rate, better than GULC. I don't think it's necessary to retake for a T-14 depending on what you want to do/where you want to work.
A lot of that is fluff temporary jobs meant to sucker unsuspecting 0Ls like you. Please do a little more research before you start posting stuff like this in the choosing threads.

AJB

New

Post by AJB » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:03 pm

Maybe, but as an East Coaster I'd still rather go there than somewhere like UT if equal $

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:10 pm

AJB wrote:Maybe, but as an East Coaster I'd still rather go there than somewhere like UT if equal $
Well, I mean, as an East Coaster UT shouldn't even be on your radar. That school is in Texas.

That's also totally beside the point.

AJB

New

Post by AJB » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:12 pm

I mean, GW beats GULC in pretty much every employment category except Law firms with 501+ attorneys according to 2012 LST Score Reports. A total of 8 people took temp jobs, compared to 21 from Gtown. I don't see where you are getting your info.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:19 pm

AJB wrote:I mean, GW beats GULC in pretty much every employment category except Law firms with 501+ attorneys according to 2012 LST Score Reports. A total of 8 people took temp jobs, compared to 21 from Gtown. I don't see where you are getting your info.
http://www.lawschooltransparency.com

AJB

New

Post by AJB » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:21 pm

That's where I got it from...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:22 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tiltedwindmill

Bronze

Post by tiltedwindmill » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:19 pm

JDeezy wrote:Applying again will take, what, four hours? I don't see any reason to think you won't get into GWU again in two years.

The correct answer is 100% retake the LSAT. You have two years so its not like you have to change your life to cram. Just Tstudy while you can and plan to take it in a year or so. That gives you another year in case the retake doesn't go great.

Even if you don't retake because it would be "nice not to," you'll be in the same position you are right now. GWU's not going anywhere.

Congrats on the TFA acceptance, and the fact that you are doing what you want to do after college. Enjoy.

GWU needs you more than you need them.
TITCR

residentemma

Bronze

Post by residentemma » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:26 pm

I am TFA and applying to law schools this cycle. YOU WILL NOT HAVE TIME TO STUDY FOR THE LSAT ONCE YOU JOIN TFA. My advice would be to take TFA, say no to GWU (hey, if they accepted you with your stats, they'll probably accept you with your stats+TFA in 2 years as well), and take the June or October LSAT. I took mine during senior year of college and I was SO glad I did once Teach for America literally destroyed me.

Also, don't join TFA just cause you want a break from school and to earn a little money (and I'm not saying those are your only reasons). If you are not super convicted about it, you'll regret the decision. Thats just my 2 cents

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:31 pm

AJB wrote:GW has a 95% employment rate, better than GULC. I don't think it's necessary to retake for a T-14 depending on what you want to do/where you want to work.
Sigh

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”