Why does UF hate law school applicants ?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AT9

Re: Why does UF hate law school applicants ?

Postby AT9 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:47 am

I'd say UF is fairly comparable to Texas and UNC (I've lived elsewhere most of my life), but I get what you're saying. WITHIN Florida, UF is the biggest name outside of HYS and a few others.

klondike5

Postby klondike5 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:56 pm

AT9 wrote:UNC also had a huge drop in applicants. Guess what? They also don't give out merit-based waivers. Coincidence?

Other than UF's larger alumni network and greater regional "prestige," I see zero reasons to choose UF over FSU if both are the same price. They're going to get passed up if they don't come to their senses.

I emailed UNC's admission and asked for a waiver and they replied back with one within a few minutes. I am out of state, didn't do UG there and never lived there. My numbers are not spectacular either, maybe I just worded it in a way they liked and caught them after a really filling lunch? Agree with the idea the UF/FSU are not making the process as easy as other peer schools. I'm still applying though

PalmBay

Postby PalmBay » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:14 am

From reading this thread it's pretty obvious why a school might do this.
It filters out the applicants who aren't really seriously considering the school.

kobe1020

Postby kobe1020 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:33 am

its funny that i planned to start a thread just like this.

and yes, i quit applying to UF solely because of that academic essay. i wonder how many other people have done that.

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:05 pm

all quiet on the decision front for me. Have been under "Comparative Review" since 11/30

anybody hear anything?

Kanye West

Postby Kanye West » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:11 am

Lwoods1020 wrote:all quiet on the decision front for me. Have been under "Comparative Review" since 11/30

anybody hear anything?

Early March seems to be their time to send out the bulk of their decisions. Just chilllllllllllllll

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:33 am

Kanye West wrote:
Lwoods1020 wrote:all quiet on the decision front for me. Have been under "Comparative Review" since 11/30

anybody hear anything?

Early March seems to be their time to send out the bulk of their decisions. Just chilllllllllllllll

seriously? thats so late.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:26 pm

crisgcia

Postby crisgcia » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:52 pm

I swear these guys are choosier than the T14! Ughh, so frustrating :(

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:09 pm

PalmBay wrote:From reading this thread it's pretty obvious why a school might do this.
It filters out the applicants who aren't really seriously considering the school.

I thought the goal of a law school was to get as many quality applicants as possible. From there try and recruit as many through ASW and such, not diminish their applicant pool by 35% and lose out on quality students.

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:11 pm

crisgcia wrote:I swear these guys are choosier than the T14! Ughh, so frustrating :(

withdraw app. go to fsu. win.

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:48 am

Accepted by mail 02/02
no scholarship info.

how about y'all?

JJ123

Postby JJ123 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:18 pm

These guys are such fucking morons it's unbelievable. I met with one of their people at a law school fair, and he was like "yeah, we'd love to have you, I'm sure we can work out a fee waiver, you'll probably get a scholarship, etc." Then I e-mail them, and they don't want to even give me a fee waiver, but they bomb my inbox every week talking about some sort of law that I have no interest in.

UF, if you're reading this (I'm sure you're not, because you're fucking retarded) if someone is above both your medians and has interest in one of your strongest programs, you want to give them a fee waiver.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:55 pm

Kanye West

Postby Kanye West » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:45 am

sublime wrote:
JJ123 wrote:These guys are such fucking morons it's unbelievable. I met with one of their people at a law school fair, and he was like "yeah, we'd love to have you, I'm sure we can work out a fee waiver, you'll probably get a scholarship, etc." Then I e-mail them, and they don't want to even give me a fee waiver, but they bomb my inbox every week talking about some sort of law that I have no interest in.

UF, if you're reading this (I'm sure you're not, because you're fucking retarded) if someone is above both your medians and has interest in one of your strongest programs, you want to give them a fee waiver.

IIRC there is some Florida law or regulation that doesn't allow them to give fee waivers.

FSU, FIU, and Stetson gave me waivers. UF on the other hand...

rdelaney

Postby rdelaney » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:07 pm

Kanye West wrote:
sublime wrote:
JJ123 wrote:These guys are such fucking morons it's unbelievable. I met with one of their people at a law school fair, and he was like "yeah, we'd love to have you, I'm sure we can work out a fee waiver, you'll probably get a scholarship, etc." Then I e-mail them, and they don't want to even give me a fee waiver, but they bomb my inbox every week talking about some sort of law that I have no interest in.

IIRC there is some Florida law or regulation that doesn't allow them to give fee waivers.

FSU, FIU, and Stetson gave me waivers. UF on the other hand...

^This.

I went to a UF Open House and they said that because applicants were down that there would be no exceptions to the fee waivers other than the ones LSAC approves. Overall, they are making a really good case to other schools in Florida... I did undergrad at UF and FSU looks way better than UF at this point in time.

SFrost

Postby SFrost » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:02 pm

If applications were way down wouldn't it make a lot more sense to be more liberal with fee waivers? I don't get it.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:27 pm

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:08 pm

I called just now and scholarship committee meets every 2 weeks to evaluate different batches of admitted students. We wont hear about scholarship money for a few weeks.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:56 pm

I think you all are putting way too much thought into the academic statement. I submitted my personal statement and wrote academic statement at the top. Accepted, scholarship info came two days later, + a nice hand written note saying they loved my story. Though it's not my top choice, the scholly they gave me was very nice, and getting a call from one of the teachers was a nice touch, too.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:57 am

toshiroh wrote:I think you all are putting way too much thought into the academic statement. I submitted my personal statement and wrote academic statement at the top. Accepted, scholarship info came two days later, + a nice hand written note saying they loved my story. Though it's not my top choice, the scholly they gave me was very nice, and getting a call from one of the teachers was a nice touch, too.

Yeah, seriously. I applied to UF and just banged out some nonsense about some classes I took as an undergrad. The academic statement isn't going to make or break you provided it's not littered with profanity and ethnic slurs. You don't need to spend hours crafting the stupid thing.

underwear

Postby underwear » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:20 pm

kobe1020 wrote: i quit applying to UF solely because of that academic essay. i wonder how many other people have done that.

me.

any thoughts on applying this late in the game?

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:20 pm

underwear wrote:
kobe1020 wrote: i quit applying to UF solely because of that academic essay. i wonder how many other people have done that.

me.

any thoughts on applying this late in the game?

I think that's a question I'd call and ask them, but then I think they'd say yes no matter what because they want your 30$ app fee.

bearsfan23

Postby bearsfan23 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:51 pm

Point of fact regarding their Academic Admissions statement or whatever its called. I applied to UF last year and used the exact same PS I used for other schools, which was 100% tailored to my post-grad employment. I got in and my scholarship $ was pretty much exactly in line with what my numbers predicted.

I guess my point is I wouldn't worry about trying to do a special PS for UF, I highly doubt it matters at all, hth

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”