Why does UF hate law school applicants ?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kevinlomax

Why does UF hate law school applicants ?

Postby Kevinlomax » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:41 am

What is up with the University of Florida Law School?

Out of all 14 schools I applied to , they are the only school that will not take the generic Personal Statement prompt.

They literally make you rewrite a completely new "academic statement" just for them. They also have a policy of offering no fee waivers....to anyone.

I guess it is no surprise that their applicant numbers have dropped by 30% from last year

AT9

Re: Why does UF hate law school applicants ?

Postby AT9 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:47 am

UNC also had a huge drop in applicants. Guess what? They also don't give out merit-based waivers. Coincidence?

Other than UF's larger alumni network and greater regional "prestige," I see zero reasons to choose UF over FSU if both are the same price. They're going to get passed up if they don't come to their senses.

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:52 am

AT9 wrote:UNC also had a huge drop in applicants. Guess what? They also don't give out merit-based waivers. Coincidence?

Other than UF's larger alumni network and greater regional "prestige," I see zero reasons to choose UF over FSU if both are the same price. They're going to get passed up if they don't come to their senses.

I agree. If you want to practice in florida, fsu at same price wins

Tallahasse> gainseville
Noles>gators

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:54 am

Yeah it's bullshit. The academic essay thing is weird, and I thinkl for admissions counselors, very boring to read.

They put me in "comparative review" aka fast track to the waitlist

good luck!

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:22 am

Lwoods1020 wrote:Yeah it's bullshit. The academic essay thing is weird, and I thinkl for admissions counselors, very boring to read.

good luck!

I ended up not applying. Paying 55 bucks plus writing the academic statement... No thanks

I wish you the best though!

AT9

Postby AT9 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:09 pm

Lwoods1020 wrote:Yeah it's bullshit. The academic essay thing is weird, and I thinkl for admissions counselors, very boring to read.

good luck!

Where'd you hear that? I was in comparative review for a whole (couple weeks?) before they accepted me in early December. Check out the class of 2017 thread in acceptances/denials section.

Agree that it would be boring to read. I just droned on for a few pages about how my oodles of writing in polisci papers and work experience will help me in law school. Wonder how many of those they get stuck reading.

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:15 pm

AT9 wrote:

good luck!

Where'd you hear that? I was in comparative review for a whole (couple weeks?) before they accepted me in early December. Check out the class of 2017 thread in acceptances/denials section.

Agree that it would be boring to read. I just droned on for a few pages about how my oodles of writing in polisci papers and work experience will help me in law school. Wonder how many of those they get stuck reading.

Congrats but maybe it's because your stats are better than mine, I am a point below the median for LSAT and in the 75th for GPA. I have been in comparative review since november

outlawscr10

Postby outlawscr10 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:25 pm

Not a surprise. I attempted to apply for a graduate program there a few years back. They wanted me to send all my stuff--GRE scores, transcripts, writing samples, etc.--to two different places on campus because apparently admissions couldn't properly communicate with the department. Scared me off.

Florida State are National Champions, anyways.

Lightworks

Postby Lightworks » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:34 pm

I just checked, and they do waive the application fee for those with an LSAC fee waiver.

So they aren't complete monsters.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:26 pm

Just seems like a poor idea. Higher ranked schools can get away with it, I don't think UF can.

ClownQuestionBroz

Postby ClownQuestionBroz » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:37 pm

Everyone shut up, quit bitching and just submit your personal statement as is. They aren't going to read it anyways. But, if you're seriously interested in going to UF and you're too lazy to slightly edit your personal statement, you're are entering the wrong profession.

Moreover, only go to UF (not FSU or anywhere else) if you want to practice in Florida (other than the panhandle). Otherwise, go to a better school.

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:43 pm

ClownQuestionBroz wrote:Everyone shut up, quit bitching and just submit your personal statement as is. They aren't going to read it anyways. But, if you're seriously interested in going to UF and you're too lazy to slightly edit your personal statement, you're are entering the wrong profession.

Moreover, only go to UF (not FSU or anywhere else) if you want to practice in Florida (other than the panhandle). Otherwise, go to a better school.

lolz, thats true.

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:43 pm

could have been nicer about it though.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:49 pm

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:56 pm

The people running UF's law school are the same ones (I think) as the ones who ran their football team this year.

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:55 pm

if your numbers are close I can guarantee that they will read it.

"Gator bait...."

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:56 pm

sublime wrote:Of the like twelve schools I applied to in my cycle, they were the only one that wanted court records for a second degree misdemeanor (underage drinking). Although Florida has a reputation of being a strict C and F state, that probably wasn't necessary.

Fuck all that, I just withdrew my application, but I wouldn't have even attended there with a full ride, so whatever.

that is insane.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:15 pm

vicpin5190

Post removed.

Postby vicpin5190 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:58 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClownQuestionBroz

Postby ClownQuestionBroz » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:16 pm

sublime wrote:
Kevinlomax wrote:
sublime wrote:Of the like twelve schools I applied to in my cycle, they were the only one that wanted court records for a second degree misdemeanor (underage drinking). Although Florida has a reputation of being a strict C and F state, that probably wasn't necessary.

Fuck all that, I just withdrew my application, but I wouldn't have even attended there with a full ride, so whatever.

that is insane.

Yea, I would have had to travel to the city I got cited in to pick up the records to fax to them. Not worth it.

On the other hand, it may have been a subtle form of YP. Who knows and I am happy with how things turned out.

On the other other hand, its better than spending three years and 100k only to find out the State of Florida won't license you because of your criminal background. You're a law student, think critically. UF (or any other school for that matter) couldn't care less if you are a convicted child molester, they want those dollars. They are not going to put themselves at a disadvantage by asking for arbitrary things unless they feel they have to.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:21 pm

AT9

Postby AT9 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:14 pm

To be a little more fair, the app fee isn't bad...only $30 I think. If $30 and an additional essay is enough to make you drop it from your list, you're probably not seriously interested enough to attend anyway.

They're just less applicant-friendly than their primary competitor, and that may hurt them (if it hasn't already).

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:53 pm

AT9

Postby AT9 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:29 am

sublime wrote:
AT9 wrote:To be a little more fair, the app fee isn't bad...only $30 I think. If $30 and an additional essay is enough to make you drop it from your list, you're probably not seriously interested enough to attend anyway.

They're just less applicant-friendly than their primary competitor, and that may hurt them (if it hasn't already).

Being in Gainesville hurts more than anything. Their lst is not what you think it would be, esp compared to Fsu, Nova, Miami, stetson, and fiu

'Tis true. On one hand, I feel a sense of pride to be admitted to UF. The university as a whole is really Florida's version of UNC, UT-Austin, Cal, UVA, etc. For people staying in-state, it was and is the height of "prestige" for undergrad and grad programs. But when I objectively look at the employment stats, it's probably the worst school of the 15 to which I applied (including South Carolina and Tennessee). As much as the school and name appeals to me, I just can't justify going. Sad.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:34 am

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”