Didn't apply early to UCLA, but starting to wish I did.. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tmkm

New

Didn't apply early to UCLA, but starting to wish I did..

Post by tmkm » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:18 am

In early September I was seriously contemplating whether I should send in my applications at that time, or if I should study and retake my LSAT to see if I could get a higher score. I was at 169, and a 3.84 GPA, and most, if not all of the advice that I had been receiving from both TLS and my peers was that I should try to retake the exam in December. I decided to take the advice and study for a couple of months and retake.

My goal then, and now is: Columbia, UCLA and NYU, in that order. For me, going sticker to any one of those schools was not really an option that I wanted to consider. However, because Columbia had always been my dream school since undergrad, I had convinced myself that I would seriously consider it if I were admitted. I figured that if I boosted my LSAT score to a 172, I would seriously be able to increase my chances of getting into Columbia. It seemed reasonable to think that applying early to Columbia with a 169/3.84 would be the same, if not worse than retaking my exam in December and applying right afterwards with a new LSAT score.

So I retook the exam in December and underperformed. I ended up getting a lower score.

It's January now, and I am waiting on decisions from the three schools mentioned (+ others). With my numbers being the way that they are right now, I feel like my chances of getting into Columbia are extremely low (likely lower than if I would have just applied early).

NYU seems low probability as well at this point...

That brings me to UCLA. I'm worried that I also lowered my chances of being accepted to UCLA as well...If I were fortunate enough to get accepted by them, do you think I lowered the amount of scholarships that I would have received from them had I applied earlier with my original numbers?
I'm just trying to figure out if I did the right thing by at least trying to retake the exam and trying to get a higher score...

cron1834

Gold

Re: Didn't apply early to UCLA, but starting to wish I did..

Post by cron1834 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:45 am

MyLSN suggests that you'll do fine at UCLA.

kobe1020

Bronze

Post by kobe1020 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:16 am

what other choices you have?if no, just go ahead and apply to UCLA.
no one here on TLS will make you feel better by patronizing you OP....it's harsh words but its true.
I totally understand what you did because i did the same thing: i was lucky enough to be able to boost my score. You are just not having the best luck in the word but i'm sure with your 169/3.84 you are set in UCLA.
Don't think too much about the money though, it's pretty random anyways.

tmkm

New

Post by tmkm » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:43 am

OP here. I wasn't looking for sympathy in my original post. In hindsight, I think I should have been more clear in what I wrote...
What I was actually looking for was some advice/direction. I already submitted my application to UCLA a few weeks ago, but I was wondering if it would be premature to send a follow up letter to the dean to let him and the school know I'm not blanketing the T14 and looking to shaft UCLA even if I get in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”