Resume Critique Pls Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Resume Critique Pls

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:36 am

Last edited by Mack.Hambleton on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Resume Critique Pls

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:11 am

Way too much white space on the left side. The entire resume is crammed in 2/3 of a page of paper. Put your section headers in line with everything else, not in a gigantic left margin.
Inconsistent spacing between jobs.
Say whether your degree is a BA/BS.
Organic farm worker line is randomly indented
Lines below the job titles/school name could be indented for clarity
Might as well add a line about personal interests at the end, since you have room.
Italicize employer names to differentiate from the job description
Add a second bullet point for each job (you will have room for this if you get ride of the VAST TRACTS of wasted whitespace)
Be consistent in whether you're using m-dashes or hyphens between dates, and whether there are spaces on either side of the dash (there shouldn't be)
It's okay to vary text size for section headers/name at the top (can't see what your name font size is, obviously)

I feel kind of stupid posting this basically every time I give resume feedback, but it went through about 5 rounds of edits by my OCS and I think it's a good example of a law school resume that fits a lot of info while staying readable and attractive:
rinkrat19 wrote:Here is my current resume, genericized and redacted. Red is stuff that has been added since starting law school. The resume I applied to law school with was basically the same design before cramming the new stuff in, except with more relaxed spacing. There may have been a third bullet point under the older jobs.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:41 am

Last edited by Mack.Hambleton on Wed May 07, 2014 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:27 pm

The biggest problem, and one that plagues most resumes, is that you tell me your role at your jobs, but not the results of what you did. Were you successful at the things you did? How did you help your employer? Show me that you were awesome through examples. Like your tutor entry for example, try this: "Successfully assisted numerous Calc 1 students and routinely enabled them to increase their course grades." Think about how you can add a bullet or two to these positions that tells me you were good at your job, not that you just existed at your job. Make sure every job bullet starts with an action verb (your Organic one does not). When done well, this really makes a resume stand a cut above most, which usually just describe the job, instead of telling me how you excelled at your job.

As others have said, clean up the formatting. It might not be a bad idea to have someone at kibin.com get a hold of this and clean up the formatting. It's only $10.

You should list the actual name of your degree. "Bachelor of Arts in.. blah blah"

My format was very similar to the one above, it's a good format to use. If you need more space, you can condense the address line into a single line under your name.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”