T14 LOR Q(s)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Captainunaccountable

T14 LOR Q(s)

Postby Captainunaccountable » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:30 pm

I have two ideas as to the people I want to write my LOR's for this upcoming cycle. I'm interested, though, in asking about one LOR in particular. I'm involved in an organization that helps at risk youths. I'm involved on various levels of this program. The person that knows me and deals with me, the program coordinator, is a graduate student. The executive director, is a professional (I don't know her very well). Would it be sufficient to get an LOR from the grad student individual, or should I somehow attempt to make a relationship with this exec. director? I have no real reason to really get to know her, but as I understand it, an LOR from her would be a lot better than one from the grad student. Is this true and would the grad student LOR be weak? And if I were to request one from the Exec. director are there things I can do to make this happen? Does she genuinley have to know me as a person or can I just tell her what I do?

Lastly, this is probably a basic one, but do most T14's require 2 LOR's? And from someone doing k-JD would having one from an academic and one from this organization be sufficient (assuming that you do only generally need two)?

Thanks.

rinkrat19

Re: T14 LOR Q(s)

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:35 pm

Just have the grad student write from his position as program coordinator. No need to label him "THIS DUDE IS JUST A GRAD STUDENT." If someone is your supervisor at a job or charity or whatever, the person reading their LOR can't see how many degrees they have.

kershka

Postby kershka » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:44 pm

TAs are generally acceptable LOR writers, so a grad student supervisor is also not a problem. Many T14 adcomms have stressed that the prestige of your recommender is not important, just how well they know you. They can see through LOR sent from the CEO who is best friends of your father's college roommate; they know that person doesn't actually know you. That being said, you should really have two academic LOR if you are K-JD. In fact, every T14 encourages that and some (I think Yale) actually requires it.

This sounds like a solid third LOR, however.

As to how many LOR T14 require, it depends on the school. One or two don't require any but highly encourage at least one. Most require either one or two with an option of up to four. I submitted two to all my schools (all T14), and its done well for me thus far.

Captainunaccountable

Postby Captainunaccountable » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:30 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Just have the grad student write from his position as program coordinator. No need to label him "THIS DUDE IS JUST A GRAD STUDENT." If someone is your supervisor at a job or charity or whatever, the person reading their LOR can't see how many degrees they have.

Thanks guys. I didn't mean to imply that She is 'just a grad student', I just remember recently having been told by a fellowship adviser that I should seek out the person in the highest position. I see it is different for LS.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”