Unverifiable work experience on resumé?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
theycallmefoes

Unverifiable work experience on resumé?

Postby theycallmefoes » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:21 pm

I've done quite a bit of private academic tutoring over the past few years, which comprises the entirety of my paid work experience. Will adcoms take this seriously, or is it just a waste of space on my resumé?

oshberg28

Re: Unverifiable work experience on resumé?

Postby oshberg28 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:39 pm

There is no reason why they shouldn't take this seriously, and not listing it on your resume would be worse than listing it. This employment is verifiable as long as you have clients, but there is about a 99.9% chance they won't ask for a list.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:44 pm

That's what you do for a job, so list it. Not all work consists of working for a large corporation.

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:45 pm

oshberg28 wrote:There is no reason why they shouldn't take this seriously, and not listing it on your resume would be worse than listing it. This employment is verifiable as long as you have clients, but there is about a 99.9% chance they won't ask for a list.

Yeah, unverifiable was definitely not the correct word to use. What I really meant was whether they would take private/self-employed work seriously, or just write it off as something anyone (with quite a bit of guts) could claim.

You answered my question completely - thanks!

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:48 pm

I put it on my resume, but I also paid taxes on it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”