Weak LORs (T-14) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sprinky07

New

Weak LORs (T-14)

Post by sprinky07 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:30 pm

I'm planning on applying for the 14-15 cycle and am kinda freaking out about my LORs. I graduated in 2012 and am worried that it will be frowned upon by admissions officers to not have any academic LORs. I worked full time during college (~50 hours a week), so I was forced to take most of my classes online. The rest were night courses; however I took all of them with the same professor/my academic adviser and he passed away last year. I realize that I could always email one of my past online professors about an LOR, but I seriously doubt that I could count on one from any of them since we never interacted face-to-face. I did get mostly A's, so performing poorly in any courses won't be any hindrance to getting one, but I guess I just don't see why any of them would be willing to put their name on an LOR for a person that they never met and probably don't remember.

For the record, I graduated from a solid regional university that offers a ton online courses (I'm just pointing this out so that nobody thinks that I graduated from the University of Phoenix or something lol).

I can count on an LOR from my boss/owner of the company (same company that I worked for during college)The company is pretty small (less than 10 people) and the owner is pretty much the only person that I would consider as a "boss", so I can't really ask anybody else from work for an LOR.

So where else can I turn? Could I ask for an LOR from someone that I haven't interacted with on a professional or academic level or would that be frowned upon by adcoms?

Note: I'll be applying to the mid-lower half of the T-14 as well a couple of strong regional schools in areas that I have ties in.

jrd93

New

Re: Weak LORs (T-14)

Post by jrd93 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:37 pm

Last edited by jrd93 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Philafaler

New

Post by Philafaler » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:52 pm

What are your numbers? My first thought would be that if you have good numbers, then it would probably be ok to get a bland academic reference from a professor who gave you an A (or several A's).

Regardless, you should get another from your boss.

KingJamesLBJ

Bronze

Post by KingJamesLBJ » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:15 pm

PMed

sprinky07

New

Post by sprinky07 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:04 am

Bump. Anybody else have this problem?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:53 am

Ask one of your online profs. They may not be able to say much, but all you need is something that won't hurt you. And if they're your prof, part of their job is to do stuff like this. You can provide them with more info to allow them to write a better letter (your resume, transcript, PS, that kind of stuff).

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:53 am

I do not have your problem, but if I were you, I'd still try to get one academic LOR from a professor. Just make sure the professor will actually write you a decent one, which means giving them the opportunity to easily say no to your request. Instead of writing, "Will you write me a LOR?" write "Do you think you would be able to write me a good LOR? I realize that that our only interaction was online."

I'd also explain your situation, i.e. that you were working full-time and had to take online classes and that the one professor with whom you took classes in person passed away. I imagine most professors would be pretty sympathetic to your situation and would be happy to write a LOR, even if they don't know you that well.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”