Fraternities/sororities

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rad lulz

Re: Fraternities/sororities

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:49 pm

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daryldixon

Postby daryldixon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:59 pm

NYC2012 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:Leave the frat off your résumé when you start applying.

Politely disagree with this, I left my sorority on my resume (I had a couple minor leadership positions) and have been accepted to my top choices. Nothing wrong with showing you're socially competent your parents have enough money to pay for you to have friends.

FTFY
Last edited by daryldixon on Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:02 pm

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:05 pm

rad lulz wrote:The most impressive thing my fraternity pres did:

1) manage a slush fund to clandestinely purchase booze

2) manage liability caused by illegal drug and underage alcohol use in house

3) manage liability associated with open parities

4) assist rush and social chairs in violating university policy and local law by holding wet rush events and parties

5) hazing in violation of state law

6) when not clandestinely breaking university policy, complying w the letter but not the sprit of university rules

7) obfuscate chapters bad behavior so as to comply w Nationals

8 ) shoot himself in the chest w a firework

Great PS fodder

Being in a fraternity was rad but let's not get carried away

Most of the things that made fraternity life fun adcomms don't give a shit about

Sounds like experience in event planning, budgeting, risk management, hazardous material disposal, creative problem solving, and local, state and federal compliance if you ask me. :lol:

daryldixon

Postby daryldixon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:10 pm

Nucky wrote:Sounds like experience in event planning, budgeting, risk management, hazardous material disposal, creative problem solving, and local, state and federal compliance if you ask me. :lol:

Give it up man. Ad comms can see through the bullshit.

You really wont get a bump unless the ad comm was also in a frat/sorority. On the other hand, if the ad comm wasn't involved in greek life they probably have all the same assumptions as the people in this thread and it may hurt your app.

Captainunaccountable

Postby Captainunaccountable » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:18 pm

daryldixon wrote:
Nucky wrote:Sounds like experience in event planning, budgeting, risk management, hazardous material disposal, creative problem solving, and local, state and federal compliance if you ask me. :lol:

You really wont get a bump unless the ad comm was also in a frat/sorority. On the other hand, if the ad comm wasn't involved in greek life they probably have all the same assumptions as the people in this thread and it may hurt your app.

I don't think adcomms are as narrow-minded to judge an applicant the way you describe. Let's be honest, fraternities and sororities tend to, overall, do better academically than the rest of the student population. Especially the nerdy srats like KAO, they're leaders AND nerds. But I really think this is a stupid debate because it's entirely dependent upon the person, not their affiliations/interests. Being a member of an organization, any, shows nothing more than that you can get along with others?

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:19 pm

Our fraternity president basically did all the stuff Rad's did but honestly that is very demanding and taxing on the person. Also while simply being a member of a fraternity does not mean you have good social skills, getting elected president or another high position likely does. For admissions, I imagine it wouldn't matter either way, however I wouldn't think listing president of X fraternity on your resume when applying for jobs especially if you don't have a ton of other stuff would be a bad decision.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:20 pm

daryldixon wrote:

I was clearly joking with that post, but my previous points stand. Including the overwhelmingly positive feedback I have heard from other Greek execs in regard to their cycles.

But hey, haters gon' hate.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:22 pm

Before I go, let me leave you GDI naysayers with a few quick facts you won't hear on the six o'clock news, or in your local hipster watering hole:

Of the nation's 50 largest corporations, 43 are headed by fraternity men.

85% of the Fortune 500 executives belong to a fraternity.

40 of 47 U.S. Supreme Court Justices since 1910 were fraternity men.

76% of all Congressmen and Senators belong to a fraternity.

Every U.S. President and Vice President, except two in each office, born since the first social fraternity was founded in 1825 have been members of a fraternity.

63% of the U.S. President's Cabinet members since 1900 have been Greek.

A National Conference report shows a high percentage of the 4,000 NIC fraternity chapters are above the All-Men's scholastic average on their respective campuses.

A U.S. Government study shows that over 70% of all those who join a fraternity/sororitiy graduate, while under 50% of all non-fraternity/sorority persons graduate.

Over 85% of the student leaders on some 730 campuses are involved in the Greek community.

The first Female Senator was Greek

The first Female Astronaut was Greek

All of the Apollo 11 Astronauts are Greek

Over $7 million is raised each year by Greeks nationally

850,000 hours are volunteered by greeks annually

The Greek system is the largest network of volunteers in the US, with members donating over 10 million hours of volunteer service each year

71% of those listed in "Who's Who in America" belong to a fraternity

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:23 pm

Nucky wrote:Before I go, let me leave you GDI naysayers with a few quick facts you won't hear on the six o'clock news, or in your local hipster watering hole:

Every U.S. President and Vice President, except two in each office, born since the first social fraternity was founded in 1825 have been members of a fraternity.

A National Conference report shows a high percentage of the 4,000 NIC fraternity chapters are above the All-Men's scholastic average on their respective campuses.

A U.S. Government study shows that over 70% of all those who join a fraternity/sororitiy graduate, while under 50% of all non-fraternity/sorority persons graduate.

Over 85% of the student leaders on some 730 campuses are involved in the Greek community.

The Greek system is the largest network of volunteers in the US, with members donating over 10 million hours of volunteer service each year

This aside, yes being the leader of an organization which produces the above will surely hurt your app. Join the chess club instead, folks!

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:24 pm

Oh my god nucky is the worst person on this board right now.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:25 pm

ITT: Nucky desperately tries to validate his fraternity days.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:29 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Oh my god nucky is the worst person on this board right now.

I'm sorry you feel that way, I am not trying to be a troll. But the arbitrary bashing of Greek Life from people who were never part of a Greek org, or who base their decisions on anecdotal experiences is very frustrating for those of us who put a lot of time and effort into making a positive impact within the Greek community. The stereotypes are absurd.

Anyway, I am done. Have a good day, folks. Good luck to each of you in your cycles.

Captainunaccountable

Postby Captainunaccountable » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:30 pm

Nucky wrote:
Nucky wrote:Before I go, let me leave you GDI naysayers with a few quick facts you won't hear on the six o'clock news, or in your local hipster watering hole:

This aside, yes being the leader of an organization which produces the above will surely hurt your app. Join the chess club instead, folks!

I've stated it on this board already, but the tide is changing. It's blatantly evident. Fraternities are becoming obsolete in a world where diversity and cultural exchange dominate. A majority of those statistics relate to people from the previous generation; completely different circumstances, culture, and mindset. Don't be ridiculous.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:41 pm

Nucky wrote:

I'm sorry you feel that way, I am not trying to be a troll. But the arbitrary bashing of Greek Life from people who were never part of a Greek org, or who base their decisions on anecdotal experiences is very frustrating for those of us who put a lot of time and effort into making a positive impact within the Greek community. The stereotypes are absurd.

Anyway, I am done. Have a good day, folks. Good luck to each of you in your cycles.

Most of the things you posted do nothing to convince me that frats and sororities are good. Oh more executives and congressmen were in frats? Rich kids are more likely to be in frats and also become execs. That says nothing about the organization. And for once, the stereotypes are extremely well-founded. In fact if frats or sororities do good things they are the exceptions that prove the rule.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:42 pm

Captainunaccountable wrote:
Nucky wrote:

I've stated it on this board already, but the tide is changing. It's blatantly evident. Fraternities are becoming obsolete in a world where diversity and cultural exchange dominate. A majority of those statistics relate to people from the previous generation; completely different circumstances, culture, and mindset. Don't be ridiculous.

It is ridiculous to think that fraternities are not changing with the times as well. Several organizations are enjoying record membership numbers. While I do not completely disagree with your statement you'd be foolish to think that "tide" you're referring to will change that drastically in our lifetime, if at all. That kind of change will take generations.

I'm really sorry that the Greeks at whatever schools you guys attended left you with such a poor impression of Greek life in general :?

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:46 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Nucky wrote:

Most of the things you posted do nothing to convince me that frats and sororities are good. Oh more executives and congressmen were in frats? Rich kids are more likely to be in frats and also become execs. That says nothing about the organization. And for once, the stereotypes are extremely well-founded. In fact if frats or sororities do good things they are the exceptions that prove the rule.

That's pretty harsh and unfounded. I don't know who shit in your Cheerios, but I am sorry they did.

daryldixon

Postby daryldixon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:46 pm

daryldixon wrote:

I don't think adcomms are as narrow-minded to judge an applicant the way you describe. Let's be honest, fraternities and sororities tend to, overall, do better academically than the rest of the student population. Especially the nerdy srats like KAO, they're leaders AND nerds. But I really think this is a stupid debate because it's entirely dependent upon the person, not their affiliations/interests. Being a member of an organization, any, shows nothing more than that you can get along with others?

You are literally delusional.

Controlling for SAT scores, college major, gender, and state of residence, university students were more likely to have joined a fraternity or sorority if they had come from in state and had higher verbal SAT scores, but lower math SAT scores, the opposite of what simple uncontrolled averages indicate. Controlling for the same variables, fraternity and sorority members suffered from 1 to 10 percent lower cumulative GPAs than non-Greek students. This negative effect was most pronounced for small fraternities and weakest for sororities.

Does Going Greek Impair Undergraduate Academic Performance? A Case Study, Farley Grubb, The American Journal of Economics and Sociology Vol. 65, No. 5 (Nov., 2006), pp. 1085-1110
http://www.jstor.org/stable/27739611

johnfootball

Postby johnfootball » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:46 pm

If you need your frat/sorority to be a soft, then you don't have game-changing softs. /thread

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:47 pm

Nucky wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Nucky wrote:

That's pretty harsh and unfounded. I don't know who shit in your Cheerios, but I am sorry they did.

Spurious relationships are harsh and unfounded?

gta

Postby gta » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:48 pm

Captainunaccountable wrote:Let's be honest, fraternities and sororities tend to, overall, do better academically than the rest of the student population.

Members of fraternities and sororities also tend to be of higher socioeconomic status than the members of the student population as a whole, but no one controls for that very important variable when touting the merits of Greek membership.

EDIT: daryldixon beat me to it.

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:11 pm

gta wrote:
Captainunaccountable wrote:Let's be honest, fraternities and sororities tend to, overall, do better academically than the rest of the student population.

Members of fraternities and sororities also tend to be of higher socioeconomic status than the members of the student population as a whole, but no one controls for that very important variable when touting the merits of Greek membership.

EDIT: daryldixon beat me to it.

Yes when properly adjusted for, Greek life does not boost academic performance for a given student.

I got nothin against the Greeks, although they are kind of weak at my school. I think they do good things and have a good time, so they don't bother me.

However:

johnfootball wrote:If you need your frat/sorority to be a soft, then you don't have game-changing softs. /thread

Captainunaccountable

Postby Captainunaccountable » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:27 pm

daryldixon wrote:
daryldixon wrote:

You are literally delusional.

Controlling for SAT scores, college major, gender, and state of residence, university students were more likely to have joined a fraternity or sorority if they had come from in state and had higher verbal SAT scores, but lower math SAT scores, the opposite of what simple uncontrolled averages indicate. Controlling for the same variables, fraternity and sorority members suffered from 1 to 10 percent lower cumulative GPAs than non-Greek students. This negative effect was most pronounced for small fraternities and weakest for sororities.

Does Going Greek Impair Undergraduate Academic Performance? A Case Study, Farley Grubb, The American Journal of Economics and Sociology Vol. 65, No. 5 (Nov., 2006), pp. 1085-1110
http://www.jstor.org/stable/27739611

What about those people that don't go Greek because they're social failures and do awful because of it? Does that study account for those people? Also, that study is 6 years old and I can't see the actual conditions upon which the study was conducted, so I don't know exactly what he's saying. Anyone can take the first paragraph from the abstract of a academic article they haven't read to support their position, it doesn't make their argument valid though. As the guy above me stated, it's difficult to compare as all schools are different and there are many variables.

I actually don't care for Greek organizations, I just don't like how you blanketly stated that unless the ad-comm is a Greek of the persuasion of the applicant, that applicant will not look good with a Greek organization on their resume. I know many people in many different fraternities at my school and though there is a commonality amongst the members of each organization, there are those too that are highly academic and competent. Adcomms can not, then, stereotype members of an organization as such; it would be no different from them stereotyping a member of any other organization/group/religion/affiliation. These things don't define a person.

stef1330

Postby stef1330 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:49 pm

Okay so for everyone speculating, here are the facts.

I am a brother of delta tau delta. It is an IFC fraternity with very large decent alumni net works.

I plan to go to UVA . I pledged at Georgia Southern, and my houses networking is pretty incredible. Greek life is pretty huge there.

Amoung being a brother, I also served in several on campus Christian organizations such as BCM, RUF and CRU. I was a part of each of these and in crew help part in a Greek bible study.
Apart from that, I also founded an anti human trafficking chapter of IJM(international justice mission) in which awareness and funds where raised in order to provide help to the legal non profit org, IJM.

Other softs that I have include currently being a intern for the state senate, an educational trip to China for 3 weeks my freshman year, and very very large amounts of community service.

So once again, ALL that being said:

Is it wise to put my Greek organization on my application?

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:58 pm

stef1330 wrote:Okay so for everyone speculating, here are the facts.

I am a brother of delta tau delta. It is an IFC fraternity with very large decent alumni net works.

I plan to go to UVA . I pledged at Georgia Southern, and my houses networking is pretty incredible. Greek life is pretty huge there.

Amoung being a brother, I also served in several on campus Christian organizations such as BCM, RUF and CRU. I was a part of each of these and in crew help part in a Greek bible study.
Apart from that, I also founded an anti human trafficking chapter of IJM(international justice mission) in which awareness and funds where raised in order to provide help to the legal non profit org, IJM.

Other softs that I have include currently being a intern for the state senate, an educational trip to China for 3 weeks my freshman year, and very very large amounts of community service.

So once again, ALL that being said:

Is it wise to put my Greek organization on my application?

I don't see why it would be unwise. Seriously, it's just like any other undergrad org. I'm sure it won't be detrimental, just like I'm sure it won't provide a bump.

It's a leadership position which I'm sure many applying to law school have had. If anything it shows you have some sort of social skill set.

People basing Greek life off of anecdotes and "animal house" are acting like people that go to law school cause they watch suits.

Now who's down for some keg stands at ASW :twisted:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”