Fraternities/sororities Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
midwest17

Gold

Re: Fraternities/sororities

Post by midwest17 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:48 pm

stef1330 wrote:I still haven't even gotten a solid answer.
You've gotten a ton of different opinions. What exactly were you expecting?

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:49 pm

stef1330 wrote:

Can everyone PLEASE relax? If I knew there would be blood shed I never would have asked , jeez. I still haven't even gotten a solid answer.

And whoever said that I said cargo pant wearers were less than people was wrong. Stop putting words in my mouth. All I said was that if you came from a school where people who wore cargos were in a fraternity and they called that acceptable, it probably wasn't the type of fraternity that I was referring to in bing influential.

Wearing cargos does not make you any less of a human being.

Jeez you people are crazy. Forget this, I'm gonna go study some logic games
now you're backtracking because you've been shamed.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:58 pm

Greek affiliation on your resume probably won't move the dial one way or the other; I had my frat on my resume before and during most of law school, and I don't think there was any real consequence (minus an interview where my female interviewer attempted to give me my frat's secret handshake). Cargo shorts are awful. I judge people by the clothes they wear, because that is how they choose to present themselves to the world. But dressing fratty is only part of being fratty. And if you're posting on TLS (much less carrying on an argument about cargo shorts), you are not fratty/a bro.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:03 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
stef1330 wrote:Also, if you call your fraternity a "frat" your probably one of those cargo bros I was talking about. Don't be a jabroni.
YOU WOULDN'T CALL YOUR COUNTRY A CUNT HARDY HAR HAR
Would you call your refrigerator a fridge???

NextLevy

New

Post by NextLevy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:06 pm

rad lulz wrote:Attempting to validate how fratty and awesome your organization was, on the internet, to a bunch of strangers, is the antithesis of fratty behavior

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Milk Man

New

Post by Milk Man » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:40 pm

stef1330 wrote:Nucky, bro I feel you.

Everyone else, if you went to a crappy northern undergrad or some place where fraternity brothers wore cargo shorts and played Yugioh, I don't expect you to think that it would give me a boost. However, at any decent college below the mason Dixon, it gives me a boost. I just asked because I wanted to know whether it would give me a boost specifically in the law school application field.

Also, if you call your fraternity a "frat" your probably one of those cargo bros I was talking about. Don't be a jabroni.

AND Please let's talk calmly? Y'all are flippin out on these message boards.
What's wrong with cargo shorts?

John Cena was wearing cargo shorts last April when he beat The Rock at Wrestlemania, and they displayed a great amount of respect for each other after the match. Hate him or love him, I would certainly not consider Cena a jabroni....

Where I'm from, we don't judge cargo shorts as far as I can tell. But perhaps my social skills aren't quite as fine tuned as I thought.
Last edited by Milk Man on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shiv3rs-n-Ice

New

Post by Shiv3rs-n-Ice » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:08 pm

This thread is so funny to me. OP do whatever you feel is best. However, I agree with the people who have said it wouldn't matter if you did or didn't. Choice is ultimately yours.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:28 pm

Danger Zone wrote:What frat bros wore cargos? I never saw that. My brethren and I wore only the finest silk spun Brooks Brothers sport coats, salmon trousers, and ascots.
'Atta boy, goose!

AJB

New

Post by AJB » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:10 pm

Chill out Geeds

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:20 pm

Definitely disagree here - whether for jobs or for law school apps, it won't hurt you to leave it on there.
Definitely depends on who you are interviewing with. I could definitely see it hurting just as much as helping in an interview depending on the outlook the interviewer has on fraternities.
op wrote: Everyone else, if you went to a crappy northern undergrad or some place where fraternity brothers wore cargo shorts and played Yugioh, I don't expect you to think that it would give me a boost. However, at any decent college below the mason Dixon, it gives me a boost. I just asked because I wanted to know whether it would give me a boost specifically in the law school application field.

Also, if you call your fraternity a "frat" your probably one of those cargo bros I was talking about. Don't be a jabro
Pro-tip: Put this quote in your Resume. Auto-accept. Let's the adcomms know you aren't afraid to be a douche bag and you know exactly how it's done.

mellow

Bronze

Post by mellow » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:45 pm

I've been in a sorority but I never include it on my resume for jobs and law schools. I worked in HR for some time, and there was always an overwhelming negative response to fraternities/sororities unless the person hiring was from one as well in which case it was the opposite. Obviously this is a small sample size (three companies), but I didn't want to risk it.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:49 pm

OP, if you had a leadership position, mention it. If you were just a run of the mill member, give it a bullet point along with your other UG activities.

Let's put this thread to rest and argue about something else.

Good luck on your cycle.

TigerDude

Bronze

Post by TigerDude » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:21 pm

Stef, if you already know the answer, why ask?

If your desired school's dean is Nucky, you'll probably get a hand job with your admit.

If it's someone who thinks frat boys are asshole douches, it probably won't.

So do what you want.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:22 pm

One week later. Nucky still a douche.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:08 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:One week later. Nucky still a douche.
Oh, the irony! ... Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Get a life.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:08 pm

TigerDude wrote: If your desired school's dean is Nucky, you'll probably get a hand job with your admit.
Oh, there is no probably. It is a guarantee!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Nucky wrote:
You know nothing of restraint.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:35 pm

Yay! This thread is back!

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:37 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Nucky wrote:
You know nothing of restraint.
Nor do you, apparently.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:55 pm

rad lulz wrote:The most impressive thing my fraternity pres did:

1) manage a slush fund to clandestinely purchase booze

2) manage liability caused by illegal drug and underage alcohol use in house

3) manage liability associated with open parities

4) assist rush and social chairs in violating university policy and local law by holding wet rush events and parties

5) hazing in violation of state law

6) when not clandestinely breaking university policy, complying w the letter but not the sprit of university rules

7) obfuscate chapters bad behavior so as to comply w Nationals

8 ) shoot himself in the chest w a firework

Great PS fodder

Being in a fraternity was rad but let's not get carried away

Most of the things that made fraternity life fun adcomms don't give a shit about
This.
1000x this.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:40 pm

midwest17 wrote:Yay! This thread is back!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:05 pm

Last edited by Moneytrees on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captainunaccountable

New

Post by Captainunaccountable » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:37 pm

Moneytrees wrote:Let me just say that this post is hilarious.

As most people have stated, only talk about being in frat if you had some noticeable leadership position. I for one was only my frat's sports chair and representative to IFC, so I included 1 line about it in the UG activity section. I don't expect it to do anything for me except show law schools that I was involved in extracurricular activities.

Ps. From what I came to understand from my ex girlfriend (who was from Texas), Greek life really is a huge deal in the south. Apparently you need letters of rec. and volunteering hours to even go through recruitment. I had no conception of this, since I went to school at UCSD where Greek life wasn't a huge deal. Point is, if you are applying to schools in the south, it might be a good idea to throw in a line or two on your resume about being Greek.
You don't need rec. letters (I retract, you may for sororities, not positive on this) but I've never heard of needing volunteer hours to go through recruitment. Yes, Greek life can be a big deal in the south (mainly at state schools), but it tends to be a big deal within the context of Greek life, not law school. An ad-comm at UGA (for example) who was a Kappa Alpha member 35 years ago isn't going to see an application from a Kappa Alpha from UT and be like, 'Oh man.. this dude must rock! He gets a serious bump cause he's a BROHANASAURAUS rex'

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:17 am

Captainunaccountable wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:Let me just say that this post is hilarious.

As most people have stated, only talk about being in frat if you had some noticeable leadership position. I for one was only my frat's sports chair and representative to IFC, so I included 1 line about it in the UG activity section. I don't expect it to do anything for me except show law schools that I was involved in extracurricular activities.

Ps. From what I came to understand from my ex girlfriend (who was from Texas), Greek life really is a huge deal in the south. Apparently you need letters of rec. and volunteering hours to even go through recruitment. I had no conception of this, since I went to school at UCSD where Greek life wasn't a huge deal. Point is, if you are applying to schools in the south, it might be a good idea to throw in a line or two on your resume about being Greek.
You don't need rec. letters (I retract, you may for sororities, not positive on this) but I've never heard of needing volunteer hours to go through recruitment. Yes, Greek life can be a big deal in the south (mainly at state schools), but it tends to be a big deal within the context of Greek life, not law school. An ad-comm at UGA (for example) who was a Kappa Alpha member 35 years ago isn't going to see an application from a Kappa Alpha from UT and be like, 'Oh man.. this dude must rock! He gets a serious bump cause he's a BROHANASAURAUS rex'

Haha. I agree completely. I'm just saying, being in a fraternity or sorority might be more of a pro for schools in the South, but then again, probably not.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:26 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”