Fee-Waiver Requests for H,S,Columbia

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschool2014hopeful
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Fee-Waiver Requests for H,S,Columbia

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:17 am

On their websites it seems like that their fee-waivers are only granted based on extreme financial disadvantage, I am just wondering how "extreme" does this have to be? Do you have to be homeless or something to be granted this waiver?

User avatar
angels2fly
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: Fee-Waiver Requests for H,S,Columbia

Postby angels2fly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:23 am

jimmierock wrote:On their websites it seems like that their fee-waivers are only granted based on extreme financial disadvantage, I am just wondering how "extreme" does this have to be? Do you have to be homeless or something to be granted this waiver?


No but you need to demonstrate serious financial need and not just be irked by shelling out $80-$100 per application. I know that Columbia requires LSAC fee waiver approval. I'd say if you qualified for that, you'll get these.

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Fee-Waiver Requests for H,S,Columbia

Postby Cicero76 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:39 am

To get the LSAC fee waiver for financial hardship, you have to have no money or resources. Like less than $1k in the bank I think.

Columbia gives out merit based waivers for LSAT though.

lawschool2014hopeful
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Re: Fee-Waiver Requests for H,S,Columbia

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:02 am

Cicero76 wrote:To get the LSAC fee waiver for financial hardship, you have to have no money or resources. Like less than $1k in the bank I think.

Columbia gives out merit based waivers for LSAT though.


Really? Do I just send an email? Their website says extreme circumstances only

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Fee-Waiver Requests for H,S,Columbia

Postby Cicero76 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:54 pm

jimmierock wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:To get the LSAC fee waiver for financial hardship, you have to have no money or resources. Like less than $1k in the bank I think.

Columbia gives out merit based waivers for LSAT though.


Really? Do I just send an email? Their website says extreme circumstances only



Need based waivers are extreme circumstance. Unless their policy has changed very recently (I.e., this year), Columbia gives out waivers to people with 170s scores. I don't remember if you have to email them or they send them through lsac's service

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2065
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Fee-Waiver Requests for H,S,Columbia

Postby t-14orbust » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:56 pm

Cicero76 wrote:To get the LSAC fee waiver for financial hardship, you have to have no money or resources. Like less than $1k in the bank I think.

Columbia gives out merit based waivers for LSAT though.


Even less than that, I had only 300-500 in the bank(not savings) and was denied :(. Worth applying for though, I suppose

User avatar
kershka
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Fee-Waiver Requests for H,S,Columbia

Postby kershka » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:14 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
jimmierock wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:To get the LSAC fee waiver for financial hardship, you have to have no money or resources. Like less than $1k in the bank I think.

Columbia gives out merit based waivers for LSAT though.


Really? Do I just send an email? Their website says extreme circumstances only



Need based waivers are extreme circumstance. Unless their policy has changed very recently (I.e., this year), Columbia gives out waivers to people with 170s scores. I don't remember if you have to email them or they send them through lsac's service

I got an unsolicited merit-based Columbia fee waiver. I don't remember if it was in my email or if it was one of the hidden ones that I found when I went to pay, but I didn't pay an app fee to them.

That being said, a lot of people solicit merit-based fee waivers for T14s so its worth sending an email.

User avatar
angels2fly
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: Fee-Waiver Requests for H,S,Columbia

Postby angels2fly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:44 pm

Appeals to LSAC waivers have a higher success rate than initial requests as a person processes that and not a computer.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], sspeckk and 10 guests