Recommender title & degrees

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aboo5674

Recommender title & degrees

Postby aboo5674 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:03 pm

This feels like a silly question, but what do I list as the title for a professor who teaches part time at my university as well as a few others and also practices law? Also, do I list degrees in the suffix field? He has a J.D., an LL.M., and a J.S.D. I honestly don't know what I'm supposed to write and I don't want to offend him or appear ignorant. Does any of this even matter?

KingJamesLBJ

Re: Recommender title & degrees

Postby KingJamesLBJ » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:26 pm

aboo5674 wrote:This feels like a silly question, but what do I list as the title for a professor who teaches part time at my university as well as a few others and also practices law? Also, do I list degrees in the suffix field? He has a J.D., an LL.M., and a J.S.D. I honestly don't know what I'm supposed to write and I don't want to offend him or appear ignorant. Does any of this even matter?

His first and last name. If he wants the prestigious title he can/will change it himself.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:47 pm

If it is a prof, what do they put on their syllabus? That's how I decided.

guano

Postby guano » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:13 am

aboo5674 wrote:This feels like a silly question, but what do I list as the title for a professor who teaches part time at my university as well as a few others and also practices law? Also, do I list degrees in the suffix field? He has a J.D., an LL.M., and a J.S.D. I honestly don't know what I'm supposed to write and I don't want to offend him or appear ignorant. Does any of this even matter?

The safe answer would be "Professor Smith" or "Professor Joseph Smith", but the right answer is
phillywc wrote:what do they put on their syllabus?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”