Law schools look at social media accounts?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Sarah617

Law schools look at social media accounts?

Postby Sarah617 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:55 pm

So I read and heard that most law schools look t law school applicant's social media accounts online like Facebook.. I'm concerned because I have this old myspace page an ex boyfriend purposely made under my name with an explicit profile picture, although it's like 8 years old it's still up there. I've tried reporting it to myspace via email but nothing. All my other sites are fine, though I'm considering deactivating Facebook, should I or no? Any recommendations? Will this affect my application process in any way? Thanks everyone!

ManoftheHour

Re: Law schools look at social media accounts?

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:57 pm

Link?

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:57 pm

Don't worry about it. It's 8 years old. You aren't the only one with your name. As always, make all your social media private.
Last edited by ManoftheHour on Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:59 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:Link?

lol

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:00 pm

I do not think anyone goes on myspace anymore anyway.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:04 pm

Sarah617 wrote:So I read and heard that most law schools look t law school applicant's social media accounts online like Facebook.. I'm concerned because I have this old myspace page an ex boyfriend purposely made under my name with an explicit profile picture, although it's like 8 years old it's still up there. I've tried reporting it to myspace via email but nothing. All my other sites are fine, though I'm considering deactivating Facebook, should I or no? Any recommendations? Will this affect my application process in any way? Thanks everyone!

If you can google your name in find it, then you should be slightly worried. Otherwise, I wouldn't be worried at the moment.
I wouldn't deactivate your facebook, just shut it down to private and only have innocuous pictures as your profile/cover pic.

Also I think you are more likely to have a firm google stalk you than a school, so you may want to keep that in mind for the future.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:00 pm

gaud wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Link?

lol

I loled at this too haha

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:10 pm

I saw you only reported through email, I think there is an actual report profile function, perhaps try that.

Or tell the ex to stop being a scumbag, i guess?

Chidasuuu

Postby Chidasuuu » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:55 pm

That's not the most scumbagish thing I've heard ex boyfriends do. I know a girl who's ex sent naked photos of her to every law school she applied to. She had pretty good stats but the needless to say the cycle didn't go well for her. Or the next. Or the one after.

dosto

Postby dosto » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:05 pm

Last edited by dosto on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20141023 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:35 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chidasuuu

Postby Chidasuuu » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:18 pm

I think most of the time, when people are "in love" they don't really think about the consequences of their actions. Hence the term "love drunk" With that said, it is never wise to let ANYONE have ANYTHING that they can use against you.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:21 pm

Chidasuuu wrote:I think most of the time, when people are "in love" they don't really think about the consequences of their actions. Hence the term "love drunk" With that said, it is never wise to let ANYONE have ANYTHING that they can use against you.

Wait, seriously? That kind of attitude sets you up for a pretty miserable life.

Postby 20141023 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:23 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chidasuuu

Postby Chidasuuu » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:25 pm

midwest17 wrote:
Chidasuuu wrote:I think most of the time, when people are "in love" they don't really think about the consequences of their actions. Hence the term "love drunk" With that said, it is never wise to let ANYONE have ANYTHING that they can use against you.

Wait, did I say I was one of those people?

Chidasuuu

Postby Chidasuuu » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:26 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
Meh... It seems silly that anyone should have to prove their "love" by sending naked pictures of themselves to their SO / letting their SO take naked pictures of them. If their SO took pictures of them without them knowing it then that is one thing, but to permit it is just asking for something like this to happen. At least if you're going to do this sort of thing, cover your face when you take the picture or something. :roll:

Agreed, cover your damn face and you're safe. Unless you have some unique features.

pcthenls

Postby pcthenls » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:37 pm

I imagine law schools do check Linkedin. I know I stalk current students, faculty and lawyers that way.

Also, just change your name on facebook, make it private etc. No need to deactivate.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:01 am

midwest17 wrote:

This. Only do it with people you really trust. It's never backfired on me and I've never posted pictures of exes even after we breakup (includes one time I was dumped too).

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:54 am

Chidasuuu wrote:
midwest17 wrote:

Wait, did I say I was one of those people?

"it is never wise to let ANYONE have ANYTHING that they can use against you"

WaltGrace83

Postby WaltGrace83 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:53 pm

I would deactivate your FB, not because of law schools searching for you, but it just makes life better. I deactivated my FB a month ago (and had my girlfriend change my password and deactivate it for me so if I even wanted to log in I cannot) and it has added nothing but good. No more hours spent wasted and it has actually made me happier because FB is like a social resume. On FB, you only show people the awesome or the hilarious generally speaking. Thus, while you are sitting at your computer at 1am and watching everyone else have a seemingly amazing life, it makes you - or at least me - slightly depressed even though its not like everyone is partying 24/7 or something like that.

FXD

Postby FXD » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:06 pm

WaltGrace83 wrote:I would deactivate your FB, not because of law schools searching for you, but it just makes life better. I deactivated my FB a month ago (and had my girlfriend change my password and deactivate it for me so if I even wanted to log in I cannot) and it has added nothing but good. No more hours spent wasted and it has actually made me happier because FB is like a social resume. On FB, you only show people the awesome or the hilarious generally speaking. Thus, while you are sitting at your computer at 1am and watching everyone else have a seemingly amazing life, it makes you - or at least me - slightly depressed even though its not like everyone is partying 24/7 or something like that.

This is so true, the best thing I ever did was deactivate fb and uninstall the app on my phone so I could focus on studying and spending more time focusing on what was important. Probably the worst part was not being able to use messenger, but I figured I have the numbers of people I talk to regularly, so I'll just text instead.

As for the concern about law schools looking at your profile, I'd just make sure the account is on private and that any 'bad' pictures you might have on there be taken down or at least untag yourself if your friend posted it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”